Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 06:30 AM
Planar Protector

Default Frebin Tinderhue

Frebin Tinderhue (of Steamfont Mountains)

Currently gives no faction hits on p1999.

Allakhazam has the following posts from y2k disagreeing with this:

Expect bad faction with King Akanon and the Gem Shoppers. This is a 6 minute spawn, but watch out to Watchman Mylz who patrols the area.
and
There's also an Eldrich Collective faction hit. Just a warning if you are a gnome caster.

I'm currently investigating his drops.

So far he drops no currency at all, or anything else besides gnome meat (not every kill).

Allakhazam also advises the following:

if he has a weapon it is always Fine Steel, ive seen him drop a FS spear, dagger, scimmy...also he sometimes drops ringmail

Dropping iron armour seems to be supported by the scant information on Magelo, which also shows this chap drops tinkering components.

A fun side note, for some time previous to November 2000 Allakhazam claimed this mob was oversized:

What have they done to him??? He used to be a HUGE gnome and i called him Fatty....but now he is no longer fatty.....

and he had a very rare chance to drop Black Pearls (so assumedly other gems too):

And on a very rare occasion i have gotten a black pearl offa him. Started killin him at 27 and stopped at 32 and got 2 black pearls in that time period.

A search of alt.games.everquest gave a result dated 9th August 1999 asking Why is Frebin Tinderhue STILL human-sized (he's a Gnome, for those who don't know), so it appears he was giant (human size) from beta until November 2000.

The mob in p1999 spawns displaying a leather hat, but this does not match the Allakhazam screenshots (where he shows no hat, but chain sleeves, further evidence for the claim the mob should drop iron armour).

P1999 information sourced from green server.
To do:
Check contemporary faction hit amounts for this mob (if it still exists - I believe zone got revamped).
Check contemporary Fine Steel weapon drops for this mob
Last edited by Jimjam; 03-29-2021 at 06:49 AM..
Old 03-29-2021, 09:16 AM
Sarnak

i leveled up off him in late 1999/early 2000, and can confirm that he was a giant gnome on live then (human height sounds about right- when you opened the door to the windmill it was jarring to see him).

mylz definitely assisted him (had to harmony if he was around), so there was some faction tie-in, but i'm don't remember the hits. and then he did drop fine steel and ringmail, but i don't remember black pearls/gems.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:27 PM
Project Manager

Worked on this guy some.

Pending update:
-human sized until Nov2000
-corrected faction
-added aggro/death text
-removed helm texture

Need to create a loottable and min/max coin.

https://web.archive.org/web/20020621...how&BID=199006
Old 05-12-2021, 04:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Where: Steamfont
Who should I kill? Frebin Tinderhue

What quest should I complete? -

Faction standing modifiers: Lowers faction standing

Other faction standing modifiers: Lowers faction standing with Gemchoppers and King Ak'Anon. Raises faction standing with Dark Reflection and Meldrath

Tip submitted by Dadok

https://web.archive.org/web/20000623...n/eldritch.htm
As for loot, he seems to have had decent gems and items:

Quote:
RE: EBM vs Fal ; CGS vs Paw and more
Posted @ Sat, Dec 2nd 10:38 PM 2000

wow u got bad stuff for a lvl 40...

im only 30 and i have a foremans tunic, cgs, warithbone hammer, small diety( for range slot), plat armband, split paw hide gloves, braided ivy cords, koldbold boots, runed circlet, plat ruby veil, gold jasper earings, and plat jasper rings.

i am NOT twinked. i bought and earned all my armor for myself. I just hunted in the places with better loot. like the freeport bard that gives 1.5 pp per kill (lvl13) frebin tinderhue 1-50pp per loot ( lvl 25 in steamfront)

just go out and get more $$ then u can buy all the stuff u want

http://web.archive.org/web/200305061...97579673025754
Quote:
Beastlord Solo exp 22 -35 Reply...
Posted @ Fri, Mar 14th 8:13 PM 2003

Alright Heres what ive done from 22 to 35

First off I went to steamfont and as an Ogre im KOS but I dont care about factions wit gnomes and i dont think beastlords need to.

Now Find the Windmills and go into the far left mill or 1st mill. There should be a Gnome Named Frebin Tinderhue Hes a lvl 25 con but hes good xp to 35 or stays the same till 35 anyway and can make up to 500p a lvl off him Cause he drops good stuff that you can ell to merchants,

1 problem though, hes really close to watchmen mylz and this other guy outside the mill so pull him straight outa the mill and away from them!!!

https://web.archive.org/web/20030611...ss=15&start=75
Quote:
Loot:
Fine Steel, Platinum, Black Pearls, assorted gems.

Description
Level 25 NPC Gnome in the First Windmill. You have to Harmony the Watchman to attack him which is easy to do. He is GREAT exp all the way up to level 31. As a druid I have been camping him for several levels now. No one else ever comes near him as I don't think many people know about him. Spawn time is about 7 minutes or so (about the same amount of time it takes to get full mana.) As a druid you should 1. Harmony the Watchman 2. Snare Frebin 3. Kite him towards the newbie area (off to the right if you are facing the door of the windmill) 4. DD him with Careless Lightning until you have about 1 1/2 bubs of mana left. Cast Shield of Thistles on yourself, DoT Frebin and Melee until dead. Good luck! Best Exp out there and not many people know about it. Email me if you like this camp spot!

https://web.archive.org/web/20010708...how&BID=229948
Quote:
Oct 24, 2000 11:23:38 P.M.

OK, ive read in a couple places that frebin the giant gnome in the windmills at steamfont is possible to do at lvl 20. I was wondering if this is possible and having a sow is not a problem for me so i was wondering if anyone has done this. I camped lars at 16 and he is 20 so it almost makes sence being able to hunt frebin since he is lvl 25 or so. I think this would be awsome seeing how his loot is great. Also im kinda twinked and i have 174 int so mabee this will help me. Any answers would be appritiated, thanks.
-yret of bristlebane

https://web.archive.org/web/20001121...ssion&Session=
Quote:
Mar 27, 2000 08:30:18 P.M.

I have hunted a giant gnome in steamfront till 29th lvl and he gives great loot and great exp at that lvl. he consistantly cons even at 25th so that has got to be his level. Hes an easy kite if you harmony the guard mylz who is right next to the wind mill. The gnomes name is Frebin and he is in one of the 3 windmills. just find akanon and follow the road out. jus follow straight and it takes you right to him.) I hope you enjoy your kiting)

https://web.archive.org/web/20000510...age=0&Session=
Oh got a coin loot description!

Quote:
Loot:
up to 10pp
fs
ringmail armor
jewelry
black pearl adn other stones

---

Loot can range from a few copper, up to black pearls, nothing special tho.

https://web.archive.org/web/20020621...how&BID=199006
So maybe random coin up to 10pp I guess.
Last edited by Dolalin; 05-12-2021 at 04:42 PM..
Old 05-20-2021, 01:45 PM
Project Manager

Fixed, pending update

- I did not set his coin loot up to 10pp. It is hard to determine from those quotes if they are saying he dropped that much in coin, or the value of the items he was dropping.
Closed Thread