Old 11-13-2015, 05:55 PM
Fire Giant

Instancing not classic.

CAW CAW

/thread
Old 11-13-2015, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrom [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You really can't argue that the current state of competition on this server adds anything "difficult".
I disagree 1000%

I don't think theres much of an argument for challenge in the P99 raid scene outside of the race for targets and maybe a couple of the hardest encounters in the game (Tunare and such) I can't think of a single raid target I've personally killed that would be anywhere near difficult if there was no competition for it. Unlimited time to buff/med and setup/test CH rotations and tank/ramp tank assignments and such = Nearly every fight in EQ is ezmode. Not to mention if theres no competition you can wait for primetime hours and get all your best raiders online at the same time. The ONLY hard part about raiding here is the race. Sorry.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr4990 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I disagree 1000%

I don't think theres much of an argument for challenge in the P99 raid scene outside of the race for targets and maybe a couple of the hardest encounters in the game (Tunare and such) I can't think of a single raid target I've personally killed that would be anywhere near difficult if there was no competition for it. Unlimited time to buff/med and setup/test CH rotations and tank/ramp tank assignments and such = Nearly every fight in EQ is ezmode. Not to mention if theres no competition you can wait for primetime hours and get all your best raiders online at the same time. The ONLY hard part about raiding here is the race. Sorry.
learn2play
Old 11-13-2015, 06:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr4990 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I disagree 1000%

You missed my point.

Who says EQ is supposed to be hard? EQ is a fixed difficulty game, for example Puma's in EC don't have more HPS/DPS based on your level or class.

You're either strong enough to kill the puma or you're not. There is a very narrow band where you're just barely strong enough to kill a puma where your skill actually matters and then it is "hard", but the vast majority of pumas are killed either quite routinely, or they smash the person trying to kill them.

Swap out "puma" for everything in this game.

If you want a harder game, you roll in with barely enough people to kill a monster. If you want an easier game, you bring 80 people. This is called "organic" difficulty--where you decided how hard something is not by changing a setting in the options menu but instead of practicing the game or bringing more people.

The "difficulty" described in your example is in getting enough people in your guild who work from home. That's not really everquest-related. It's also not difficulty related because its not really skill-based.

What you're really saying is, you think that Everquest raid targets should only go to those people who prioritize them high enough and who are flexible enough to get to them, and if you don't prioritize them enough and you're not flexible enough, someone else will take them from you. That's fine, you're not alone. But that's not "difficult".

Edit: I think there is an argument for difficulty in P99, actually. My guild was in Kael arena last week and Vindi popped. No other guilds in the zone, we would have had a clear shot at him. He was up for another hour before someone else came in and killed him (might actually have been BDA). We didn't kill him because we would have gotten killed. We could have stayed there for a full hour getting our Cheal rotation just right and buffing and executing a perfect pull. We also could have had everyone in the raid do their jobs perfectly and we still would have lost. This is because Vindi is too hard for us. When you say EQ isn't hard enough without competition, you mean your guild doesn't have any problem of taking down any target in the game given enough time. So why should your need for some non-everquest element be added to my everquest game? FTE is the rule here and that's fine--you guys have convinced the staff to cater to you when making raid rules. OP and I think it should go differently.
Last edited by maestrom; 11-13-2015 at 06:30 PM..
Old 11-13-2015, 06:28 PM
Planar Protector

naw
Old 11-13-2015, 06:28 PM
Banned

Rather see more xpacs than instances. Coomeeee on pop!
Old 11-13-2015, 06:30 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rather see more xpacs than instances. Coomeeee on pop!
Old 11-13-2015, 06:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrom [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You missed my point.

Who says EQ is supposed to be hard? EQ is a fixed difficulty game, for example Puma's in EC don't have more HPS/DPS based on your level or class.

You're either strong enough to kill the puma or you're not. There is a very narrow band where you're just barely strong enough to kill a puma where your skill actually matters and then it is "hard", but the vast majority of pumas are killed either quite routinely, or they smash the person trying to kill them.

Swap out "puma" for everything in this game.

If you want a harder game, you roll in with barely enough people to kill a monster. If you want an easier game, you bring 80 people. This is called "organic" difficulty--where you decided how hard something is not by changing a setting in the options menu but instead of practicing the game or bringing more people.

The "difficulty" described in your example is in getting enough people in your guild who work from home. That's not really everquest-related. It's also not difficulty related because its not really skill-based.

What you're really saying is, you think that Everquest raid targets should only go to those people who prioritize them high enough and who are flexible enough to get to them, and if you don't prioritize them enough and you're not flexible enough, someone else will take them from you. That's fine, you're not alone. But that's not "difficult".
I think you're over simplifying it a bit. If the only thing that mattered is what guild had the most people with enough flexibility to log on for raids then Rampage would get every single target. Granted they do get most of what they try for but they can (and have) been beaten to FTE on many targets since Velious came out. They also happen to be exceptionally good at mobilization and have multiple characters parked all over the game and a very skilled pull team. But I won't deny that having lots of flexible high playtime raiders is a big part of their success too.

However! Very very very often there are multiple guilds with adequate force in the zone shortly after a hotly contested target spawns. Being the guild that secures the FTE and gets the kill is where the challenge comes in. If you remove that (imo) you remove the only arguably difficult aspect of raiding on this server. You can artificially increase difficulty if you want by doing things with less numbers and such like you mentioned. But many people won't do that. Keeping the race for FTE ensures that there's always going to be an element of challenge to acquire pixels.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:38 PM
Sarnak

No to instancing.

Otherwise EQ just becomes another 'dailies/weeklies' grind.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:43 PM
Planar Protector

With all due respect this is the absolute worst fucking idea ever.

It's OP's mindset that screwed up eq in the first place. Instancing is awful for all the reasons already mentioned but also because it borks the economy. Way too many nameds being dropped at the same time. All at the same time also completely ruining immersion and any real sense of achievement in this game.

I get that everyone has a life outside eq and some of these modern amenities make sense and are appealing when you have limited time to play but As someone said already, if that is the kind of game you're after go play wow or the hundreds of other games that instance. A great majority of the magic of eq is chasing down named mobs and knowing you got it to 'pop' and the named you're fighting is the -only -one up and -you - are the lucky one to kill it! Killing a named with Instancing means little to nothing. The accomplishment devalued as 11 others are probably being killed at the same time. Immersion ultimately fucked and eqs magic fades out.

It's literally the absolute worst idea ever

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Last edited by Evia; 11-13-2015 at 06:49 PM..
Closed Thread