Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 09:48 PM
Planar Protector

If you know the game, know how to pull, know the zones, can keep a steady flow of single mobs (and root control your doubles) then you will be well loved and invited to groups repeatedly due to your good reputation and valuable contribution to the group.

Disclaimer: this is only true for outdoor zones, indoors you lose your pulling toolkit mostly. This also requires a bit of a learning curve, depending on how well you know P99 mechanics and zone maps already, but on green there will be a lot of returning and brand new players at the lower levels so you might get some extra slack from people in their expectations in the beginning.

For tanking you will often be taken if there's no one else to do it, and if you can simply cast flame lick so the dps can assist, manage your mana, and know what and when to snare, you will get repeat invites. Snap aggro from flame lick is second to none (yes better than DC, I also have a 52 SK, its better), and can build it even higher if you have mana to use snare for extra aggro.

Can also do some light CC with root while tanking or pulling, and sometimes both pull and tank at the same time but that's less efficient than having another player dedicated to one role.

If you're the kind of ranger however who really only knows how to join a group and start swinging at mobs like a run of the mill DPS....people will remember that after a while too and maybe think twice about inviting you instead of some other type of dps class.

Overall the ranger is hands down the best xp group pulling class in the game....outdoors, but many popular xp spots are outdoors, moreso in Kunark but in early classic there are still plenty. I've never had so much fun leveling a character as I have on ranger and I exclusively did it pulling outdoor dungeon xp for groups from about 24 through level 59. But that was all post velious on gear inflated blue with no xp penalty, so your mileage may vary.
Last edited by Fammaden; 10-23-2019 at 09:58 PM..
Old 10-23-2019, 09:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by guirssane [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the answers guys, I will go for it then even if there will be some times where it might get hard finding a group. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I should be able to solo a bit at 22 with animal fear hopefully
Velious bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOD
"I will honor those who honor Me, but those who despise Me will be disgraced." HCSB 1 Samuel 2:30
Old 10-24-2019, 05:58 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by guirssane [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm planning to start with a ranger on green, do you think people will still group me despite not being the best grouping class and the xp penalty?
Didn't you hear? They are removing the Ranger class on GREEN server and R replacing with a towel. At least you will always be able to find a group tho.. Everybody knows you always need to bring a towel!
Old 10-24-2019, 08:22 AM
Planar Protector

if you run in to a group that doesnt want you dont take it personally and get upset.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by solleks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if you run in to a group that doesnt want you dont take it personally and get upset.
^^This.

But, do make sure to note their names and when you get invisibility, follow them around until they are by themselves in a remote location, preferably a dungeon, and then train them when they are low on HP.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:39 AM
Kobold

My "main" when p99 first dropped was a ranger and I never got anything but good natured mockery or sympathy from the crowd that was playing back then.
Hafthor: Dwarf Cleric (NEW: Try GREEN Hafthor!)
Tsukiko: Human Monk
Burzma: Troll Shaman
Old 10-24-2019, 08:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by uygi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I never said anything bad about their aggro or utility, I said they were squishy.
Everyone forgets the squishyness doesn't really become apparent until Kunark with mobs hitting a lot harder. Or at least, it didn't on Live... I don't know how accurately all of the mitigation/avoidance tables have been reconstructed for each era on P99.

It was a perfect storm combination of rangers generating too much aggro with their endgame 14 delay rat whips and proccing flux axes and Ykeshas coming out of classic, chain class mitigation/avoidance tables not keeping up with plate classes at level 51+, Kunark mobs hitting harder, and warriors not being able to taunt effectively at level 51+ or something... it resulted in rangers being thrown a bone called Jolt and being the laughing stock of the game until Luclin gave us our class back with AAs.

Rangers can tank classic mobs just fine, but you would definitely want to try to get to level 50.999 before Kunark drops.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 10-24-2019, 01:32 PM
Large Rat

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by solleks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if you run in to a group that doesn't want you dont take it personally and get upset.
Nah dont take it personally... it's like getting picked last for the dodge ball team. Its not that they don't want YOU per se. It's just they want to win/not die and they feel that you will intrinsically be in conflict with that goal. Hence they just want a person that isn't you but it's not ''personal'' at all. That would be just silly to think that. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Wulfrache; 10-24-2019 at 01:35 PM..
Old 10-24-2019, 01:44 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfrache [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Didn't you hear? They are removing the Ranger class on GREEN server and R replacing with a towel. At least you will always be able to find a group tho.. Everybody knows you always need to bring a towel!
You're a towel!!?!
Old 10-24-2019, 02:24 PM
Large Rat

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticflava [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're a towel!!?!
No. You're a towel![You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread