Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:47 AM
deven1313 deven1313 is offline
Aviak


Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 82
Default Enchanter - charm questions

Hello,

I'm level 21 at the moment and haven't done much charming yet, mainly because my CHA is relatively low. But, at 20 we got Sympathetic Aura which raises CHA so I've been trying it out. I am fighting only in groups at the moment and had a few questions. Note, I'm trying to keep the same mob charmed right now, not killing them so not sure if that has any bearing on my questions.

1. Does my CHA only matter when I first cast the charm spell? In other words, if my sympathetic aura buff runs out while the mob is charmed, does that affect the charm duration?

2. Since Tashani only lasts 5 minutes max, will it keep them charmed longer if I re-tash after 5 min or is it a one-time thing?

3. How do you know the best weapons to give charmed pets? For instance in Oasis, the orcs have all sorts of weapons so when I charm one, I can give it a sword, club, spear, staff, 2 swords etc. Not sure which combo will inflict the most damage.

Thanks in advance!
  #2  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:07 PM
Crede Crede is offline
Fire Giant


Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deven1313 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello,

I'm level 21 at the moment and haven't done much charming yet, mainly because my CHA is relatively low. But, at 20 we got Sympathetic Aura which raises CHA so I've been trying it out. I am fighting only in groups at the moment and had a few questions. Note, I'm trying to keep the same mob charmed right now, not killing them so not sure if that has any bearing on my questions.

1. Does my CHA only matter when I first cast the charm spell? In other words, if my sympathetic aura buff runs out while the mob is charmed, does that affect the charm duration?

2. Since Tashani only lasts 5 minutes max, will it keep them charmed longer if I re-tash after 5 min or is it a one-time thing?

3. How do you know the best weapons to give charmed pets? For instance in Oasis, the orcs have all sorts of weapons so when I charm one, I can give it a sword, club, spear, staff, 2 swords etc. Not sure which combo will inflict the most damage.

Thanks in advance!
1.) I believe charm has periodic CHA checks throughout the duration. So if your CHA buff does fade, you'd want to refresh it.

2.)If tash fades, usually a safe bet just to wait for the next break and re-tash, no need to waste mana breaking too early in most situations.

3.)Weapons generally to force duel wield and for some procs at the highest level. What you use should not effect the damage. There may be an exception to this, I know mage pets can wreck early on with such items as an oggok cleaver with high dmg. I haven't studied this extensively.

I'm not 100% on #1, maybe someone will come into this thread and science the shit outta it. There's a bunch of threads on pet weapons and stuff and getting an optimal setup at the highest level with all the different pet toys. But generally speaking early on you're best off with just torches to force duel wield. Stick with charming as low of blues as possible to get the best possible charm duration. There's a huge -MR set you can build if you're serious about group charming:

2x Adamantite Bands (-20MR)
Rusty Spiked Shoulderpads (-10MR)
Riptide Spear (-5MR)
Tome of the Eternal (-10MR)
Astral Legs/Cloak of the Titans (-10MR)
  #3  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:08 PM
branamil branamil is offline
Fire Giant


Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 552
Default

1- every few seconds the pet tries to break. Your charisma has a small chance to stop it from breaking, Along with the Pet's magic resistance and level. So if your CHA wears off it is slightly more likely to break.

2. Re-tash whenever you can. The pets magic resistance plays a part in charm duration just like your charisma.

3. The weapons don't matter unless it has a proc, they all do the same amount of damage. Just give it two 1-handed items instead of a 2-hander so that it dual wields.
  #4  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:14 PM
Crede Crede is offline
Fire Giant


Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
3. The weapons don't matter unless it has a proc, they all do the same amount of damage. Just give it two 1-handed items instead of a 2-hander so that it dual wields.
2H + torch should still dual wield. Good for stuff like staff of undead legions, mithril 2h sword, etc.
  #5  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:29 PM
deven1313 deven1313 is offline
Aviak


Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 82
Default

I hadn't heard of the torch thing. So if you give a mob a sword and a torch, the torch becomes a weapon and it dual wields?
  #6  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:35 PM
Para99 Para99 is offline
Kobold


Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deven1313 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hadn't heard of the torch thing. So if you give a mob a sword and a torch, the torch becomes a weapon and it dual wields?
It doesn't need a sword. Just a torch, a shield, a bard instrument, a lantern, anything that is only secondary equippable will force mobs to DW.

No one else mentioned it but if you're talking about soloing it will almost always be a pointless hassle to gear and buff your pet unless you for some reason are keeping the same pet which will not maximize xp. You generally shouldn't be keeping pets for longer than 5 minutes 1v1 mob soloing. If you have 1 mob and are waiting several minutes for a respawn just keep it mezzed until like 30 seconds before the spawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
2H + torch should still dual wield. Good for stuff like staff of undead legions, mithril 2h sword, etc.
It will.
  #7  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:35 PM
Crede Crede is offline
Fire Giant


Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 767
Default

That's correct. Any secondary only weapon, like a lute or drum also. It used to be that a torch alone would force dual wield. There was a patch in 2015 that supposedly changed this to where 2 weapons of some kind were needed. My enchanter had already reached 60 at that point, so I never really was able to test after that.
  #8  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:37 PM
Crede Crede is offline
Fire Giant


Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It doesn't need a sword. Just a torch, a shield, a bard instrument, a lantern, anything that is only secondary equippable will force mobs to DW.
Did Haynar's patch notes in June of 2015 not affect this? Torch alone wasn't supposed to force DW anymore.
  #9  
Old 02-11-2019, 01:04 PM
Para99 Para99 is offline
Kobold


Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did Haynar's patch notes in June of 2015 not affect this? Torch alone wasn't supposed to force DW anymore.
Almost positive that is only about summoned pets, probably intended to prevent low levels from forcing their pet to DW when the pet wouldn't equip 2 weapons and DW. Otherwise the patch didn't work or was reverted. Any 60 Enchanter on this server will tell you a torch or whatever will force DW, you can visually see the mob DWing and see the large jump in DPS in parses.
  #10  
Old 02-11-2019, 01:54 PM
Crede Crede is offline
Fire Giant


Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 767
Default

Quote:
Haynar: A pet will no longer dual wield if they are handed a non-weapon item like a torch.
Says nothing about summoned only. Hmmm
Last edited by Crede; 02-11-2019 at 01:58 PM..
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:59 PM.


Everquest is a registered trademark of Daybreak Game Company LLC.
Project 1999 is not associated or affiliated in any way with Daybreak Game Company LLC.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.