Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyclin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
somewhere, someone is masturbating furiously to the tears in this thread

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-12-2015, 04:17 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My point was each individual wants to mix and match what "quality of life" features they feel are acceptable on this server.

The problem is most every one of them makes the game easier, and allows players to play more precisely/quickly/efficiently.

Playing a CC or Debuff class without Cycle Target hotkey is very different. Enchanters are godlike because of that hotkey, without it locking down 8 targets in a small space is immensely harder. In close situations where you need another tick or two of mana to cast a spell, being able to see your exact mana value is quite helpful. When lulling or splitting a room, being able to scroll out and get some targets is far faster than swapping between 5 crappy F9 views and the one you want, and then panning around to get the right angle and then panning back to the view you want etc.

So instead of letting players pick and choose the ones they feel benefit them the most, just go 100% Classic as far as the developers can within the limitations of the client/code.

Really though... Some people will quit each time a change happens, and that's fine. But the vast majority will cry on the boards, and then forget about it in 2 weeks when you're used to it.

It's happened with the maps, the compass, target rings, con colors, buff timers, low HP buff removal, cast timers on clickies, luclin models, etc. etc. All that stuff got banished and most people have forgotten it used to be here and how it worked.
All good points. I joined the server about 2 years ago, and really enjoyed things how they were. I wasn't totally aware that the server was slowely approaching a more classic state, so the changes have been a little surprising as I once thought the setup was "stable" I can live with the changes!
Old 08-12-2015, 04:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeonick [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All good points. I joined the server about 2 years ago, and really enjoyed things how they were. I wasn't totally aware that the server was slowely approaching a more classic state, so the changes have been a little surprising as I once thought the setup was "stable" I can live with the changes!
When I started in-game maps still worked in starter zones, you could create halfling Paladins and rangers, target rings displayed your target and con color, items displayed their cast time, etc.

The entire server has progressed greatly since its inception. Each one of these changes is a step closer to the classic era.

People tend to focus on the negatives though, the removal of things they liked. Plenty of things have been added/made more classic that benefit everyone that people tend to forget. Specialization for example was made a flat rate rather than a random % (because classic), as a result all mana users end up using less mana. DoTs all gained a tick duration based off a recent bug report empowering casters with DoTs. Instant clicky to refresh global cool down was a manual addition that wasn't in on the server originally. Among many other classic changes that people love and utilize every day.

I get that people see something they had get taken away, and get frustrated. But you lived with it just fine back in 2001, you'll do just fine now that you're 15 years older.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:45 PM
Planar Protector

The only change that actually bothered me was the loss of targeting rings. I hate melee'ing flying mobs in EQ, it's so annoying and stupid the way the mechanics work, very nearly annoying enough to get me to play an int caster.

Still, old-school EQ is so much more entertaining than the thing it grew into that it's easy to do without the things I liked about the evolved client/UI.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When I started in-game maps still worked in starter zones, you could create halfling Paladins and rangers, target rings displayed your target and con color, items displayed their cast time, etc.

The entire server has progressed greatly since its inception. Each one of these changes is a step closer to the classic era.

People tend to focus on the negatives though, the removal of things they liked. Plenty of things have been added/made more classic that benefit everyone that people tend to forget. Specialization for example was made a flat rate rather than a random % (because classic), as a result all mana users end up using less mana. DoTs all gained a tick duration based off a recent bug report empowering casters with DoTs. Instant clicky to refresh global cool down was a manual addition that wasn't in on the server originally. Among many other classic changes that people love and utilize every day.

I get that people see something they had get taken away, and get frustrated. But you lived with it just fine back in 2001, you'll do just fine now that you're 15 years older.

Great post here, Dald
Old 08-12-2015, 05:31 PM
Planar Protector

I would also like to add that the people that are frustrated by classic changes are usually the ones who have only been around a few months. While I'm not a veteran player here(3 years), I've been here long enough to see a lot of the changes that Dald mentioned in the post above. You don't think I miss getting full HP/Mana on every ding? Every step they take to add/remove non classic mechanics is a step in the right direction, since the goal of this project is to imitate 1999-2001 Everquest
Old 08-12-2015, 07:36 PM
Skeleton

Default Back in the day...

I get the feeling sometimes that people here really didn't play back in the old days.

It kinda baffles me how there are arguments over the quality of client enhancements being a bad thing, I seem to recall that no one complained about them back in the aught-naughts (2000's).

People did complain about releases of half baked products, content problems, bugs, patches taking forever, servers brought down with too much traffic on an update.

But really, QoL enhancements to the client being bitched about, seriously? I don't recall anything like that ever happening in those days.

I get nostalgia, I am over 40 years old, I totally get that. This place seems more like it's run by 20-something hipsters that are grasping at a past that will ever elude them since they are too young to know better.

I have very serious doubts that true ol' folks run this place, it seems that with age comes the wisdom to know that bullshit should not be tolerated when people are trying to have fun, and SonyEQ produced quite a bit of BS, especially from the mind of BM, who got shit canned, as I recall. (Or left for other projects with a trail of flowers and perfume as well as a parade of virgins throwing rose pedals at his feet, thanking him for such a great game.)

Oh, and didn't anyone see The Guild episodes making fun of SOE? Uh, they were not inaccurate, that place was run by complete idiots for quite a bit of time.... which is why WoW ate their ever-luvin lunch...

/rant
Old 08-12-2015, 08:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixecho [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I get the feeling sometimes that people here really didn't play back in the old days.

It kinda baffles me how there are arguments over the quality of client enhancements being a bad thing, I seem to recall that no one complained about them back in the aught-naughts (2000's).

People did complain about releases of half baked products, content problems, bugs, patches taking forever, servers brought down with too much traffic on an update.

But really, QoL enhancements to the client being bitched about, seriously? I don't recall anything like that ever happening in those days.

I get nostalgia, I am over 40 years old, I totally get that. This place seems more like it's run by 20-something hipsters that are grasping at a past that will ever elude them since they are too young to know better.

I have very serious doubts that true ol' folks run this place, it seems that with age comes the wisdom to know that bullshit should not be tolerated when people are trying to have fun, and SonyEQ produced quite a bit of BS, especially from the mind of BM, who got shit canned, as I recall. (Or left for other projects with a trail of flowers and perfume as well as a parade of virgins throwing rose pedals at his feet, thanking him for such a great game.)

Oh, and didn't anyone see The Guild episodes making fun of SOE? Uh, they were not inaccurate, that place was run by complete idiots for quite a bit of time.... which is why WoW ate their ever-luvin lunch...

/rant
People didn't complain in 1999-2001 cause SoE wasn't REMOVING QoL mechanics in the game they were ADDING them. Duh? The VAST majority of players enjoyed most of the QoL changes. Contrary to popular belief around these parts EQ was thriving and had tons of players (Pre-WoW numbers anyway) all the way through PoP/GoD and arguably even OoW. But ask any "Shit's Classic" neckbeard around here and literally every person stopped playing EQ in Luclin. Simply not true and blows my mind that people could even think it's anything close to true.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:12 PM
Fire Giant

let see:
Research done an proven many times that these "QOL" things you all want where not in during the stated goals of this server.

SO because you all want these "QOL" things , Then the server admins should just change their stated goal for this server.

YEA that makes sense (rolls eyes)

PS

Since so many are fans of these QOL items guess what their is two other server you can play on that have these in. TAK project and Project 2002.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Last edited by Buellen; 08-12-2015 at 10:33 PM..
Old 08-12-2015, 10:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buellen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
let see:
Research done an proven many times that this QOL you all want where not in during the stated goals of this server.

SO because you all want these QOL things , Then the server admins should just change their stated goal for this server.

YEA that makes sense (rolls eyes)

PS

Since so many are fans of these QOL items guess what their is two other server you can play on that have these in. TAK project and Project 2002.
TAK has less quality of life things cause it uses a more classic client.

No Scroll Wheel to 3rd, no cycle targets hotkey, no mana in inventory display, no buff timers, no maps, only 1 hotbutton page.

Does have compass though!

Would love if that client were compatible with our code but I'm guessing it isn't.
Closed Thread