Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 03:33 PM
Planar Protector

It sounds like what I imagine a soaking wet head of cabbage struck by a sledgehammer with a random slice of 2-week old bologna taped to the hammer surface would sound like.

Doesn't bind wound make the ripping cloth noise? Are your sound files ok?

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 12-05-2019, 03:48 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It sounds like what I imagine a soaking wet head of cabbage struck by a sledgehammer with a random slice of 2-week old bologna taped to the hammer surface would sound like.
HAHAHA
Old 12-05-2019, 05:20 PM
Planar Protector

lol. Yeah, it might be some % of your health, probably max health rather than current health, or it would be constant when you get low.
Old 12-05-2019, 05:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetree [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
lol. Yeah, it might be some % of your health, probably max health rather than current health, or it would be constant when you get low.
If this was true, getting hit for a higher number making the normal sound and a lower number then that higher number making the loud crunch would never happen, and yet it does!
Old 12-05-2019, 06:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetree [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The fact that I don't hear 90+ hits doing it at 1000+ current and max, but I hear 40-50s doing it when at 400/1000+ is what make me think it's current hp in play.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:54 PM
Banned

It is probably some relationship between your level differential with the attacking mob and your max hp relative to the actual value of the hit.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:22 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The fact that I don't hear 90+ hits doing it at 1000+ current and max, but I hear 40-50s doing it when at 400/1000+ is what make me think it's current hp in play.
That makes the most sense given various experiences. But, do you get crunchies on every hit when near death? I cannot remember offhand.

Perhaps experimentation using Duel might be in order. Then you have a nice controlled attack.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:08 PM
Kobold

It occurs on any hit that takes a certain percentage of your current hps, my estimate is around 8-10%. That's why it happens more and more with the same hits as your hps drop.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:10 AM
VIP / Contributor

Successfully being attacked generates a crunching sound if 9% of your remaining HP goes away as a result of that hit. If you are below 57% HP and you don't get hit for more than 9%, a different sound is played. Some specific NPCs have hardcoded sounds that play when they are hit as well.

Unsuccessful attacks have their own defense sound (ie; miss) sound, some specific fail cases like riposte and block have their own defense sound too.

Also keep in mind that EQ has limited sound channels - which means that if too many sounds are active it'll refuse to queue up another.

Source: EQ Mac disassembly in CEverQuest::ReportSuccessfulHit

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 12-06-2019, 02:13 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I suppose I've never heard crunching bones. It sounds like ripping cloth. I knew what it was supposed to be though [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've never heard crunching bones either but it still sounds like ish being crunched. Don't know how you get "ripping cloth" from it at all lol
Closed Thread