Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

Here is my EC geared warrior alt (pre-retired). I went full stamina and was constantly on the verge of being overweight. Again, no raiding gear. Besides the fungi and a few velious items it’s attainable for a casual. Without the cobalt items and a stat BP the iksar might even be more well rounded.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Gnombot

In the end str is more functional. You can carry crap to sell which is great for a new main character. Having more plat is very beneficial for an expensive class to gear. Stam on the other hand directly equates to your tanking job and the aggro between the same builds is the same so really it’s hps (sta) vs attack (str). 120hps at 60 might not seem like much but it might be the difference between a 3k tank and a 2.88k tank. Another type of annoyance.

Much of the warrior life, especially for a casual, is compromise. Just pick your poison. I know either way you will be able to accomplish the job at hand even if situationally griping over hindsight starting points. Kunark is fresh but ykesha weapons (SSoY and The 9/24 1hb) are attainable. They will give you all the aggro you need until better stuff is possible.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:39 PM
Planar Protector

https://wiki.project1999.com/Blood_Point
all dex, i'm just sayin..
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:04 PM
Banned

All STR
Old 11-16-2020, 06:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here is my EC geared warrior alt (pre-retired). I went full stamina and was constantly on the verge of being overweight. Again, no raiding gear. Besides the fungi and a few velious items it’s attainable for a casual. Without the cobalt items and a stat BP the iksar might even be more well rounded.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Gnombot

In the end str is more functional. You can carry crap to sell which is great for a new main character. Having more plat is very beneficial for an expensive class to gear. Stam on the other hand directly equates to your tanking job and the aggro between the same builds is the same so really it’s hps (sta) vs attack (str). 120hps at 60 might not seem like much but it might be the difference between a 3k tank and a 2.88k tank. Another type of annoyance.

Much of the warrior life, especially for a casual, is compromise. Just pick your poison. I know either way you will be able to accomplish the job at hand even if situationally griping over hindsight starting points. Kunark is fresh but ykesha weapons (SSoY and The 9/24 1hb) are attainable. They will give you all the aggro you need until better stuff is possible.
I thought Warrior was one of the least gear-dependent melees. Cloth armor and rusty weapons (eventually swapping for banded and fine steel) should be all you need until well into yours 30s.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I thought Warrior was one of the least gear-dependent melees. Cloth armor and rusty weapons (eventually swapping for banded and fine steel) should be all you need until well into yours 30s.
Do you only post to troll people?
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you only post to troll people?
Okay, so I guess a fresh, unfunded character in vanilla was never a thing?
Old 11-16-2020, 06:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenvann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did not know Kick eventually becomes what Slam is now. I guess the benefit of picking a large race allows you to tap into that power much earlier than small races. Does Slam and Kick push and/or interrupts spell caster mobs that use Complete Heal and Gate?

Gnome Warrior sounds very nice, although it involves a lot of plat to raise the skill necessary enough to make https://wiki.project1999.com/Clockwo...hman_Vambraces . I will admit, the goodies that Tinkering produces is very enticing.

Last but not least, which server is more active? Blue and Green? Thanks again for insight!
It is not difficult, when dual wielding, to swap a shield in for Bash as it refreshes. It's not as convenient as just pushing the button to slam with a large race, and it costs a tiny bit of threat & damage output, but you only need to do it to interrupt a caster or make a runner pause and can kick otherwise.

The only time swapping is difficult is when you're in a shit group that's jerking agro all over the place. In that case, why are you trying to stop that fool from eating a nuke? Hell, why are you wasting your time grouping with these geniuses in the first place?
Old 11-17-2020, 12:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You might start a new thread as it’s a fairly complicated subject (while appearing not to be). In short, for aggro and survival a warrior is reliant on gear and clickies. A knight is reliant on a few spells they buy at a vendor.

So yes, a warrior has to plan their gear more carefully than someone who can just click two spells every time they come off cooldown. Not saying a knight can be a scrub, just saying a scrub knight can generate almost as much hate as one with BiS gear.
Last edited by Snaggles; 11-17-2020 at 12:19 AM..
Old 11-19-2020, 06:23 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You might start a new thread as it’s a fairly complicated subject (while appearing not to be). In short, for aggro and survival a warrior is reliant on gear and clickies. A knight is reliant on a few spells they buy at a vendor.

So yes, a warrior has to plan their gear more carefully than someone who can just click two spells every time they come off cooldown. Not saying a knight can be a scrub, just saying a scrub knight can generate almost as much hate as one with BiS gear.
The asinine class design of old EQ gives me an aneurysm. What the actual f*ck were they thinking? A level 9 DoT that does 1 damage per tick is more aggro than a hit from an oggok cleaver. Warriors suffer horribly from the game's crude aggro mechanics.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothsayer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The asinine class design of old EQ gives me an aneurysm. What the actual f*ck were they thinking? A level 9 DoT that does 1 damage per tick is more aggro than a hit from an oggok cleaver. Warriors suffer horribly from the game's crude aggro mechanics.
It's fairly balanced in the end though. The tank with the best offensive and defensive caps, more hps/stam per piece and per level, and defensive disciplines takes a bit of time to get to work. Or they burn clickies and speed past that. What's the alternative? Fixing warrior aggro? Giving knights a defensive disc?

I'm sure that's what Blizzard would do, make every class basically the same thing. EQ was semi-broken at all times. Huge pros and cons to whichever direction you went (that you discovered about 300 hours into gameplay). We are just all a bit more impatient these days with the imperfections.
Closed Thread