Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 05:52 PM
Fire Giant

Default Bard Duo Options?

Trying to get a friend into the game, I think he'd enjoy a more active playstyle which, unfortunately rules out most melee in EQ. I thought maybe a Bard would be suitable since there's sort of a high cap on what you can accomplish with intricate song twisting etc.

However, for me, I just enjoy playing EQ. I can do whatever. And bards seem so open ended I can't really put my finger on a class that would benefit the most for duoing with them.

Anyone have any suggestions on ideal second classes to go with a bard? I was sort of thinking a hybrid tank? Since they'd probably be able to maintain threat and keep downtime low?

I'm also debating on which server. Does green still have the XP penalty? Not sure I can stand an ~88% exp penalty or whatever we'd be hit with by playing two hybrids. On that note though, I'd imagine blue has less people, so I feel like we'd have more content to ourselves if we were duoing so that seems enticing.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:58 PM
Banned

wizard is your best duo
Old 12-14-2020, 06:57 PM
Fire Giant

Bards duo pretty well with most classes. Something simple like Monk might be fun. Can benefit from group regen, haste, etc. Can help split and is self sufficient enough to not need a healer. A caster like a necro can also work well. Regen is amazing for them and you can just chain pull mobs. Can really do whatever you want.

I do think Wizard seems terrible unless you're AoEing everything... go pull 25 mobs then AoE them down, which while efficient is not the most fun way to play EverQuest for many people. But if you're into it, it sounds fun!
Old 12-14-2020, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I do think Wizard seems terrible unless you're AoEing everything... go pull 25 mobs then AoE them down, which while efficient is not the most fun way to play EverQuest for many people. But if you're into it, it sounds fun!

yup

AOE everything while bard swarms things

he has mana song for down time etc

need a place to go? bard speed + wizard ports

got everything covered

pretty limited to outdoor zones tho
Old 12-14-2020, 08:47 PM
Planar Protector

bard/enchanter and it's not even close. fear kite, charm, ae stuns, dots, etc. High end dungeons bard can just pump mana and go crazy loading up dots while charmed pet does the work. can step in for tankage/charm breaks as well with enchanter slow, and give enchanters hp regen which is all they're really missing.

bard/wizard really isn't that great until 54 when bards can Aoe snare.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:52 PM
Banned

Bard can duo well with any class in game besides bard.
Melee duo with bard I’d say monk>rogue>war>ranger>sK>paladin>bard
Caster pbaoe will be cleric/necro>wizard>Druid>mage
Caster dungeon dive ench>necro>shm>magician>druid>Wizard>cleric

Obviously these ranks are my personal preference and shift depending on zone/camp/situation but I feel this is sort of a vague ranking for bard duo partners.
Old 12-15-2020, 01:52 AM
Sarnak

I nominate Druid.

Extremely versatile, ports, newbie-friendly, amazing duo with Bard.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:15 AM
Sarnak

58 Bard, mostly duo or soloed my way up - Favorite classes I've duoed with are

Chanter, Shaman, Necro, Monk.

I'd like to duo with my buddies wizard or druid but they are not within my level range.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:45 AM
Planar Protector

A rogue is actually super good, or any other high DPS class. A bard can just aggro / snare all day long or fear / snare infinitely. Used to just duo KC right side by snare kiting all the mobs there around while rogue poky poke'd them.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:58 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A rogue is actually super good, or any other high DPS class. A bard can just aggro / snare all day long or fear / snare infinitely. Used to just duo KC right side by snare kiting all the mobs there around while rogue poky poke'd them.
I don't think I ever did KC on my bard as a duo. You would agro kite them around while the Rogue killed them or did you use fear? Fear seems dangerous with the moat right there and all the weird pathing.
Closed Thread