Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Banned

Default Bannings and why it doesn't work

Indiscriminate banning does not work, you can ban people all day til your hands bleed from the sheer amount of clicking but all it takes is a new email account and a proxy and you've defeated the ban.

The only option to stop trolls is to lock down and or close registration which sterilizes and isolates the community causing it to whither, or you can continuously ban and escalate the problem by feeding the trolls into personal attacks , DDOSing, duping, exploiting and griefing.

In the end no matter the course you take you continuously lose because if someone wants to cause havoc bad enough they will regardless at what you throw at them, and you're slowly going down hill because the project and server becomes stagnant with bullshit.

I've been banned well over 50+ times IP and account bans on all counts in-game, IRC and here on the forums and guess what? I'm still here. I have rhyme and reason for why I do what I do and that's because I do not like the rules on raiding, I don't like the rules on player relations and I consider them carebear, because hundreds of people get banned for playing how they want to play.

I suggest a new solution? a new player policy, a new forum policy and a new way GM's to handle petitions and player relations because obviously the current draconian method does not work.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Planar Protector

the ooc spammer stopped eventually, you will too.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Aviak

Wouldn't preventing proxy connections to the website and game server works for a good deal of these bans as well (understandably not all)?

I understand this would affect some students, military, and government connected players who could then apply for an account level whitelisting ?
Old 07-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Orc

I suggest a new solution for you Abacab... Go somewhere else that you do like the rules, and leave us alone. Obviously you would be happier elsewhere, why would you continue to come back to somewhere that you dont like the rules? I'm pretty sure that's the definition of stupidity.
Noodnik Shpilkus
Officer - Sapientia
50 Half Elf Paladin of Tunare
Sorvani
Member - Sapientia
22 Wizard of awesomeness
Old 07-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the ooc spammer stopped eventually, you will too.
Who takes my place though? One troll get banned but there are still hundreds more under the bridge.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacab2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
because I do not like the rules on raiding, I don't like the rules on player relations and I consider them carebear, because hundreds of people get banned for playing how they want to play.
Running Your Own EQEmulator Server
Old 07-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volga [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wouldn't preventing proxy connections to the website and game server works for a good deal of these bans as well (understandably not all)?

I understand this would affect some students, military, and government connected players who could then apply for an account level whitelisting ?
Because then the developers would have to spend 99% of their time moderating the boards, banning people in game, and checking the whitelist and email systems instead of developing. If that's the case expect Kunark to come out by 2015.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Orc

Whoever takes your place is irrelevent. It doesnt concern you, you dont play here. You just spend time trolling.
Noodnik Shpilkus
Officer - Sapientia
50 Half Elf Paladin of Tunare
Sorvani
Member - Sapientia
22 Wizard of awesomeness
Old 07-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyrax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Whoever takes your place is irrelevent. It doesnt concern you, you dont play here. You just spend time trolling.
When I'm unbanned I actually play the game, I just feel like people who sit /afk in a raid zone to claim a raid encounter deserve to get trained because they literally are asking for it.

If the shit was FFA and there was zero GM intervention between player disputes I'd be 10x more content with raiding because it would actually be interesting.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacab2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because then the developers would have to spend 99% of their time moderating the boards, banning people in game, and checking the whitelist and email systems instead of developing. If that's the case expect Kunark to come out by 2015.
Not really , banning the proxy connections is a simply vBulletin Plugin. I think the majority of players are home based and thus legitimate white list requests would be few.
Closed Thread