Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 04:07 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadre Spinegnawer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Getting into Vex Thal meant something, man. We called it "candyland." On hindsight, it foretold of the loot inflation to come in PoP, but at the time, it was pretty mighty.
I'd give a lot to be able to raid Vex Thal. I started to play in Luclin but only started raiding during PoP, so we didn't do VT anymore. I'm not a lore guy at all, but Luclin lore fascinates me, i love the whole Akhevan story line. Mobs having names that are literally in akhevan is one of the coolest things i've ever seen in a game. They invented a language for a computer game, how can you not like it?!

http://www.temerityguild.org/forums/...hevan-language

When you realize "a Qua Liako Xakra" is actually "a Minor Knight Spirit".. Literally the spirit of a fallen knight that was low-ranked, and that every mob name means something, that you learn a culture and a lore invented for a computer game, it starts to get pretty immersive. At least for me, 'cause me and languages, that's a thing.

As for the loot inflation, that's an inevitable consequence of progression. You need the gear from the previous expansion to beat the current expansion and the gear from the current expansion trivializes the previous expansions. It is also needed for the next expansion. And so on.

The thing is, there is a point when the gear (spells and skills and AAs too) becomes ridiculous. This is why i think Luclin/PoP was the peak of the game. Nice focii and FT for casters. Stats and weapon ratios that "made sense". Interesting clickies and procs but nothing over the top while the content was still challenging. You couldn't gear up in a groupable instance that gave gear 90% as good as raiding gear. Nobody ever soloed Aten Ha Ra in PoTime gear, so it's not like it made everyone completely overpowered.

Thus why my argument that Luclin/PoP are classic. It's the same game, you need tanks and clerics and CC, you need to get to camps in static zones. If you want the best gear, you have to compete for it. It's just better with more content available, additional spells/skills/AAs that were missing and oh shit i'm rambling again.
Last edited by Erydan Ouragan; 04-11-2015 at 04:10 PM..
Old 04-11-2015, 04:33 PM
Aviak

anti luclin people are the 40yr old mid life crisis people that crashed and burned after velious.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:09 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orruar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you live in Cuba or something? Most of us can go to amazon.com and buy pretty much anything.
No. For Everquest, I simply prefer using the East Commons auctioning system, rather than the Bazaar.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:21 PM
Kobold

Default I liked luclin,

I really liked SoL except for the new character models. I thought the new models were too generic and they looked ridiculous. The content was good and the BL class was interesting.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadre Spinegnawer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Two, it can refer to nerfing the game, where things become too easy and the player becomes too powerful. This is what happened with everquest
Both Luclin and PoP were objectively harder than Velious at the group level, the raid level, and with what was available at the solo level.

This argument makes no sense.

Also, a dude.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:07 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erydan Ouragan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Several reasons.

Lots hated the bazaar. They say it killed the buyer-seller social interaction. How is that a bad thing? I don't know. I guess people like to lowball with ridiculous offers. I've never had a meaningful interaction while trading, because i treat EC like i treat Wal-Mart. I get in, but my shit, and get out. I don't try to make friends with the cashier.

Lots hated the spires and easier transportation, too. I guess a 30 minutes round trip is too easy. I've never had any meaningful social interaction with a porter either. I'm polite and friendly and i tip decently considering my meager financial means, but i've never had a real conversation with someone that ported me.

I often see the "aliens and spaceship" argument, which is downright parroting the WoW argument when TBC came out. There is no spaceship in Luclin, that was world of warcraft. I guess people need their orcs/frogloks/kobolds to be happy.

The long grind of Luclin is my favorite argument, because it tells a lot about people. Most common complaints heard are "VT shard farming is too long" and "Mobs have too many hitpoints and take forever to die, so it's boring". Now that is funny.

See, the thing is most p99 players like to pat themselves on the back and tell themselves they're "oldschool and hardcore". WoW and other modern MMOs are too easy, they say. There's no challenge, no sense of accomplishment. That's pretty much bullshit, because lots of people refuse to group with hybrids, the xp being too slowed down too much. I've seen people in EC ask for a port to Lavastorm, which is 2 zones away.

P99 players are huge fucking casuals at heart. If something takes too long to kill, then it's boring and not efficient enough. They spend the hardest and longest part of the road to 60 in Chardok, paying for AE pulls instead.

So the thought of VT shard farming, Ssra bane weapons molds farming and actually spending more than 15 seconds per mob while clearing Vex Thal trash, is horrible.

They like it hard, but not too hard. Just hard enough to congratulate themselves for playing "old-school EQ", but not so much to the point where they actually have to pay attention to whats happening in the game because then, they can't watch netflix at the same time.

Luclin absolutely rocks.

Pretty much this. Luclin was pretty hardcore compared to the 16 second dragon kills we have now. So of course the casual loving are going to complain about it. Also, there is a reason I still try to name a character Caen anytime i go to another game of any type. Best weapon and most amazingly designed weapon of all time, ever. Anybody who says otherwise is a filthy casual scum who couldn't raid in SoL. Happiest, most memorable day of my life. Don't tell my wife I said that.
Last edited by Omnifiend; 04-11-2015 at 11:11 PM..
Old 04-11-2015, 11:45 PM
Planar Protector

Although I didn't hate Luclin at all, I did hate what I saw of Vex Thal. Loved AA's, Ssra, etc. But being in a hardcore guild, having to farm that key while also being in high school, the game required me to not sleep for several nights, and then after I finally got in, early VT was incredibly tedious. Being a shadowknight, I stopped asking for buffs or bothering to do anything but hit auto attack and tab over to DAoC or something, because it didn't matter either way. Fastest way to farm AA's was to solo Fungus Grove, which lost its charm eventually. It was simply the catalyst that caused my attention to sway elsewhere, and I could no longer justify playing every day, going casual and eventually quitting.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:40 AM
Sarnak

Luclin was the nail in the coffin for the "hardcore" because it demanded of the "hardcore" what they had always demanded of everyone else - absurd timesinks.

Ironically, Luclin is the reason instanced MMO's succeeded, and the crowd here that hates instanced MMO's is the very reason why they are now the mainstay.

I always love these little talks, because it always ends in them just shitposting nonsense because they can't accept that EQ had flaws.

Also, a dude.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:50 AM
Fire Giant

Not fan of luclin, but for totally different reason than most of you. I hated hated hated the incomplete feel of the expansion. SO much potential with all the different cities and for what NOTHING. As another poster posted only ssra and vexthal had any work put into them the rest of cities where just plain empty shells some half assed quest and nothing else.

Most who raided luclin can tell you it was FUN my guild first Emperor Kill was fricken awesome. I will never never forget wining the emp sword on my paladin. Raiding vex thal andjust loosing that earing http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=12973 by 1 DKP to my friend MONK made me almost cry. Yes i know that earing is better for monk /war but i wanted that dam thing for my paladin8).

Keying process was a hug time sink

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Last edited by Buellen; 04-12-2015 at 03:59 AM..
Old 04-12-2015, 04:08 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86753o9 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yet another "why can't we have luclin/pop on the anti luclin/pop server?" thread.

Jesus, if you like the post velious expansions why do you play on this server? Why don't you play on one of the other servers that have those expansions? You know, the expansions that drove most of us to seek out project1999. Every week somebody starts this thread. Shit get's old. This server is called project 1999. The clue is in the name. This server was created by players, for players who didn't like it when sony took a giant dump on their beloved game in the form of luclin and subsequent expansions. Stop trying to turn project 1999 into project free live everquest every week.

God damn.
Wait, so you do or do not like the Luclin idea?
Closed Thread