Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Sarnak

Default P99 Group Ethics Question...

Just asking the community here if this is nothing or if its asshattery...
Put together a group last night. Had everything we needed but a tank. Found said Tank in the form of a Dark Elf SK, but he needed a port. We sent our wizzy to go get him.
We begin pulls and fight for about ten minutes when suddenly he says, "Just got an offer from my guildmate over there to PL me, see you guys later."
Our group was left without a tank, again.

Is this type of thing acceptable here or would this be one of those asshat type things that should get a player blacklisted? How do vets handle this?

BTW, he died five minutes later and his guildmate was begging us for a rez because the SK was bound so far away. I told the wife not to do it, but she is a bleeding heart and did it anyways. He did pay her well for the rez, but to me thats a bribe because he is a twink alt and money isnt an issue, nor do I believe having said money should entitle you to treating folks like garbage.

As a casual player, this is why I always have issues when teaming with someone from one of the "top guilds" in the game. It always seems to end with the little guy getting dumped on for either, not having good enough gear or they have to leave in mid-group for greener pastures.

Again, not trying to be a rant or flame, just wanting to know if this is normal and if Im out of line on my thinking?
Sslaythe (30 Iksar shaman) Leader of the Harbingers of Thule
Old 12-22-2010, 08:50 AM
Planar Protector

You're not out of line, though unfortunately as the server grew since it started over a year ago, so did the amount of douchebaggery between players. Many think gear and levels are more important than anything else.
DAOC Class Descriptions by Crith (for all 3 realms, with some comparisons to EQ classes)
DAOC: Uthgard Revamp (old thread with some useful info)
"Sometimes a Majority means, that most fools are on the same side"
Old 12-22-2010, 08:53 AM
Planar Protector

Group etiquette is not what i remember from live, maybe it was because groups were harder to come by on live and peoples reps actually meant something.

Being LFG for a few hours usually makes people appreciate their groups a bit more, but when they are getting plvld and only care about getting 50 they aren't afraid to just drop group and go, I've been in a royals group in solb and after seeing bnb shout that they were looking for a rep cleric ours just up and went because it was "better experience"

I usually just keep a little mental note of the players name, if im looking for more or a rep I tend to not invite that person but I don't go out of my way to avoid that person.

I definitely wouldn't have rezzed the guy though, probly would've given him a quick "Hows that pl exp!?" and let him run back =p

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 12-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Planar Protector

hehe, the douchebaggery was pretty high before also! back then groups were also REALLY hurting for tanks, one time even zilo got to main tank heheheh

i personally wouldnt get too bothered by it. xp is super hard to come by these days with the high pop, and i wouldnt get mad at anyone for doing it whenever possible.

also, and i think a lot of people dont realize this -- just about anyone can tank as long as they can hold aggro. this includes rogues who use two SBDs, rangers with root swords, and mage pets. also, it opens up a spot for a dps class, so you are killing stuff faster.

Good ol' karsten, always thinking outside the box and coming up with new solutions!
Old 12-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Honestly, it could be asshattery or there could be more to the story. I have left groups before for another, but only in extreme circumstances. For instance, if the group was just really not going well. And by not going well I mean being in fear for my "life" on just about every pull.

In fact, I left a solb group last night not long after joining it because several friends of mine logged on and wanted to do something. I apologized to my group, helped them clear the next few rough pulls and clear to entrance, then headed out to hang out with my friends in guk. Hopefully no one considered this to be asshattery. I feel like I got better exp with my friends, mostly because we group often and work fairly well together, so technically I did leave my group for better exp elsewhere. However, I didn't leave them tankless, which is a bit more serious.

So my take... yeah, sometimes it is asshattery, but don't be too quick to judge someone after only one circumstance. And please don't be too wary about grouping with people from top guilds. Sure, you'll find jerks, but you'll also find a lot of really great people. And I'd wager you find more of the great people than the jerks.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Planar Protector

k well if you are not in fear for your life on every pull then you are not xping fast enough! (aka karsten style)
Old 12-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
also, and i think a lot of people dont realize this -- just about anyone can tank as long as they can hold aggro. this includes rogues who use two SBDs, rangers with root swords, and mage pets. also, it opens up a spot for a dps class, so you are killing stuff faster.
This! The best groups I've had in the past few days have had NO tanks. Just four dpsers and two healers and we ate through mobs so fast we didn't need someone in heavy armor.

Also, if you really want someone to have aggro, root the mob, plant your rogue/monk/ranger etc closest to the mob. Easy peasy.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Sarnak

Oh I've definitly used my bard as tank before, dont worry about that. lol.
Sslaythe (30 Iksar shaman) Leader of the Harbingers of Thule
Old 12-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Aviak

Send a message via AIM to LevinJ

I think this server is very different from classic, for one simple reason; whoever we were in classic - what we "remember" - we are ten years older (and most of us recognize that and act like it). We are all self-interested beings. I don't have the time to commit to this game like I did in high school, and my online reputation isn't as important to me as it used to be.

This doesn't mean I am a training, KSing dick, but it does mean that I know how much of a hair trigger people have in attacking one's reputation, and I am just not so worried about that. If I can only play for a couple hours and I see a way to more efficiently obtain my objective of having a good time, getting exp, etc, I politely tell the group that I am moving on, how soon I am leaving, and part ways. Never had a problem. Ex: I tell group I am going to go after next kill, I wait till down time, say goodbyes and leave. I usually try to give more notice if we are in a dungeon/deeper area, but shit happens.

In particular, when I recognize that I have joined a bad group, I don't wait till we wipe to leave. I know a bad group when I see it, and I politely move on.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hehe, the douchebaggery was pretty high before also! back then groups were also REALLY hurting for tanks, one time even zilo got to main tank heheheh
Truth! I actually remember having DPS-exclusive groups without any tanks at all, the DPS total was so good that mobs just dropped in seconds before they were able to deal any serious damage.
DAOC Class Descriptions by Crith (for all 3 realms, with some comparisons to EQ classes)
DAOC: Uthgard Revamp (old thread with some useful info)
"Sometimes a Majority means, that most fools are on the same side"
Closed Thread