Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 02:14 PM
Sarnak

Default New Monk Twink gear (cheaper side of the coin)

Ok so I started playing a monk. I spent a few kpp on him, bit but I feel like my knowledge of the class is still very poor. I am just looking for some advice.

Human Monk - Quellious currently level 20
1. is AGI my highest priority with gear?
2. At level 20 now, should I be using dual or 2hb? I currently own x2 Knuckle Dusters and Wu's Quivering Staff
3. How important is it to stay at 15 weight or less? I am at 16 right now and the ONLY thing I an carrying is a Traveler's Backpack with 20 food/water and Bandages.
4. Simple list of beginning gear possibly?
Old 03-26-2015, 02:20 PM
Planar Protector

Platinum Fire Wedding Rings - 250pp/ea - 55 HP and 5 AC each

After those, I'd personally say save up for a Haste item. Other items, while stats are good, won't bring you nearly the power haste will. (Of course a Fungi would but that's 7-8x more expensive than a basic haste item).

Other items after you get HP rings and Haste... Hooded Black Cloak (5 STR/45 HP), Diamondine Earrings (3 STR/12 HP), Totem of Warrior Spirit (3 STR/10 HP Ranged) are decent options.

1. For a grouping monk... HP/STA -> Resists -> STR. For a soloing monk HP/STA -> STR. In a group your primary role will be puller, DPS is secondary to this. When soloing you can pick melee only mobs and not need resists.
2. Yea, go 2hb for most of your time leveling.
3. Weight determines your AC. If you aren't tanking or taking hits, it's not a huge deal to be over. But if you're tanking or pulling often, I'd say it's wise to stay under it. I'm pretty sure the AC degradation scales, so once you go over 15 it decreases but not as much as it would at 30. Someone feel free to correct me here.
4. See my above thoughts.
Last edited by Daldaen; 03-26-2015 at 02:25 PM..
Old 03-26-2015, 03:11 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Platinum Fire Wedding Rings - 250pp/ea - 55 HP and 5 AC each

After those, I'd personally say save up for a Haste item. Other items, while stats are good, won't bring you nearly the power haste will. (Of course a Fungi would but that's 7-8x more expensive than a basic haste item).

Other items after you get HP rings and Haste... Hooded Black Cloak (5 STR/45 HP), Diamondine Earrings (3 STR/12 HP), Totem of Warrior Spirit (3 STR/10 HP Ranged) are decent options.

1. For a grouping monk... HP/STA -> Resists -> STR. For a soloing monk HP/STA -> STR. In a group your primary role will be puller, DPS is secondary to this. When soloing you can pick melee only mobs and not need resists.
2. Yea, go 2hb for most of your time leveling.
3. Weight determines your AC. If you aren't tanking or taking hits, it's not a huge deal to be over. But if you're tanking or pulling often, I'd say it's wise to stay under it. I'm pretty sure the AC degradation scales, so once you go over 15 it decreases but not as much as it would at 30. Someone feel free to correct me here.
4. See my above thoughts.
Thanks for the response.

1. I am planning soloing most of the time actually. I have to group enough on my main as an SK. And I am just not into casters.
2. What is the "Best" 2hb that you can get for under 1k?
3. I might just have to give my Box of Nile Space or something to him just so I can keep the weight down. Not willing to give him a Tink bag yet.

A haste item like an FBSS is the cheapest haste I think and spending 8k is not in the budget for a while. Unfortuantly. Maybe after Velious comes out and I can get some money.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:04 PM
Planar Protector

What is it you are trying to hold? Just trash loot to sell to vendors? If that's what you're carrying, I'd say buy up some bags and don't care about the weigh penalty. If you need the cash from trash drops as you're leveling to save up, some lose in efficiency killing to allow you to make that money is probably going to be worth it.

If you're soloing expect a decent amount of downtime and I hope you went Iksar. Withhout a Fungi, you will want that extra regen. Plus lots of time bind wounding.

Box of Nil Space is BAD. It weighs 5.0 by itself. Tink Bags are another good purchase after you get a haste item like a FBSS.

What level is your SK?
Old 03-26-2015, 07:45 PM
Sarnak

57 SK
Old 03-27-2015, 11:53 AM
Aviak

Get a Wu's Quivering Staff, it is 23/28 2HB and weighs too much, but its friggin' great. When you plan on doing another upgrade, look at getting a Peacebringer.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:57 AM
Sarnak

Started using the Wu's last night in SK, was amazing. I started off using x2 Knuckle Dusters, but once the mobs started running away would swap, needed to get my skill in 2hb up. but once I was in the 50's for it swapped to it full time and hitting like a truck it feels like now.

Thanks for all the advice. At some point will need to work toward an FBSS, but that will take time time on my main, killing in Rathe or something.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:59 AM
Fire Giant

Search the forums
Old 03-27-2015, 12:00 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveeauxfour [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Search the forums
For?

This statement seems less than helpful to anyone.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:06 PM
Fire Giant

For the answer to your questions