Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 03-09-2023, 05:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Might be worth asking the same question on the TAKP forums.

Personally I'd go SK as its a more fun tank experience. Most of the time you've got that other utility in your group anyway... and I'd rather have a cleric for cleric spells and not be overlapping.

Also ogres/trolls have extra value/HP.
i read some stuff there and have asked /1 alliance a few times, those folks seem rather entrenched in their positions be it pro-sk or pro-pal

i'm tryna get past class loyalty to actual compared experiences.
Old 03-09-2023, 05:47 PM
Planar Protector

You can 3-box. Why not both? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-09-2023, 05:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can 3-box. Why not both? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
im starting a new trio, it's gonna be Knight, beastlord and shaman. BST are just stupidly OP in PoP era. when bst gets the good slow at 60, ill switch them out with a better dps (even tho bst dps is good, might go with rogue) or i'll keep Knight/Bst and switch shaman for my cleric

the end goal is to have a bunch of toons that i can pick from to form trios as different situations require. ench/clr/mage has been a godly trio, but i need some tankiness and melee dps, and other utility, and after awhile i've grown weary of my tank turning around and attacking me every 5-10 minutes. So it'll be nice to have a tank that i'm not afraid of. I remember AFK breaks being nice too. I've been a full time charmer too long.
Old 03-09-2023, 06:01 PM
Planar Protector

In Defense of the Paladin
Old 03-09-2023, 06:10 PM
Fire Giant

SK gets access to dark elves, so they get the nod for sexiness, and they can solo from 55-60 easier with fear kite. IMO though paladins are better in every other aspect of the game. Better group tanks, better dungeon soloers, better for raids.
Old 03-09-2023, 06:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydef [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IMO though paladins are...Better group tanks.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-09-2023, 06:30 PM
Fire Giant

Would you rather have the guy that can instantly CH someone in an emergency, root mobs, toss out heals, and stun gaters/healers or the guy that can FD?
Old 03-09-2023, 06:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydef [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Would you rather have the guy that can instantly CH someone in an emergency, root mobs, toss out heals, and stun gaters/healers or the guy that can FD?
Well this is all very dependent on what utility you have in your group, but...

I'd rather AOE aggro on incoming to stop mobs pinging at anyone sitting until mezzes/roots can happen. Also if I'm pulling and picked up 69 adds I've got the option to FD and not have the crisis play out in the first place while the paladin is booking it to the nearest zone line or slowly rooting everything while getting beat on and everyone nearby eating sit aggro.

Every healer class at least has root and there's no group without a healer. If you're the main healer as a paladin you might as well solo, which SKs do better anyway.

I'm happy to move with my mobs after every root. Crisis management doesn't (and shouldn't) begin and end with the tank.

TL;DR - I'm a better tank than most paladins I've grouped with in other roles.
Old 03-09-2023, 06:53 PM
Fire Giant

Paladin can just toss a heal to the puller to get all agro on incoming mobs if needed. Nobody, at least from my experience, single pulls and relies on FD these days in experience groups. It's all about just pulling and CCing in camp, and if the group absolutely needs an FDer I can make the same theoretical argument that they probably already have a monk for that. Even if there are other classes in group that can provide the same utility, its never a bad thing to have extra, a heal to the chanter or cleric will always be more useful than what an SK can bring to the table. Obviously a good SK will be better than a bad paladin though, and vice versa.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Paladin can just toss a heal to the puller to get all agro on incoming mobs if needed. Nobody, at least from my experience, single pulls and relies on FD these days in experience groups. It's all about just pulling and CCing in camp, and if the group absolutely needs an FDer I can make the same theoretical argument that they probably already have a monk for that. Even if there are other classes in group that can provide the same utility, its never a bad thing to have extra, a heal to the chanter or cleric will always be more useful than what an SK can bring to the table. Obviously a good SK will be better than a bad paladin though, and vice versa.
Witness checks.