Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Planar Protector

Root has some agro, not a lot but more than FoL. More importantly, it:
1. doesn't have the warp issue,
2. doesn't get the wild pathing weirdness where engaged blinded mobs will sometimes just take off (very nasty if mob is SoWed),
3. can be used as crowd-control (root parking mobs away from people.)

Root is occasionally useful in groups that have better regen than direct healing (say with druid or shaman plus bard) and multiple characters capable of tanking to spread the damage around (rooted mob will pretty much always attack that nearest player in melee range that is on its hate list.)

When grouped with a warrior you can root a mob to make it easier for the warrior to hold agro, leaving you free to root park adds or whatever as necessary.

One thing to always keep in mind with Root is that anytime the rooted mob is dd'd (by spell or proc) it gets an extra chance to break the root that is modified by the amount of damage done.

Something to avoid (usually) is rooting a snared mob because that will overwrite the snare (happens with druid/ranger and necro/sk and bard snares.) Generally, when grouped with a snaring class, I avoid rooting mobs that are at or under half health and I always watch for "such-and-so is snared" messages from groupmates.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zehv9 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I went into it having no idea how generating threat was supposed to be done, and I couldn't find any information about it. A player told me to do just as you said, use Flash of Light.
Years ago pallys used to talk about using stuns for aggro. Is that still true or is that further down the timeline?
Old 11-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Planar Protector

Stuns are fantastic agro. Unfortunately, Paladin has to wait until L30 for first Stun, L49 for second, L52 for third, and the latter two both do damage also.

On live, Luclin made Paladin stunning for agro trivial by adding a pair of low level, fast casting, low mana cost, zero damage, stuns (Cease & Desist). IMO it was an overboost that took too much of the thought & tactics out of playing the class, but it was quite an improvement in viability for sub-49 Paladin as a group tank.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:15 AM
Orc

Sounds like I just gotta keep truckin to 30.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:08 AM
Sarnak

My experience of FoL on this server is vastly different.. It's great aggro if it's resisted, the aggro stays after it has worn off and running mobs just run normally. The only time I've had trouble with it is on the few times I've cast it on an incoming mob a little too early.
Twerp - Ogre Shaman
Numpty - Halfling Warrior
Tosser - Gnome Enchanter
Old 11-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaetatus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My experience of FoL on this server is vastly different.. It's great aggro if it's resisted, the aggro stays after it has worn off and running mobs just run normally. The only time I've had trouble with it is on the few times I've cast it on an incoming mob a little too early.
That's strange, I am sure that a fleeing mob that I have the flash of light effect on have that eratic movement pattern. I know that's how it appears to my group mates as well, for they're frantically chasing after it in confusion just like I am. EDIT: Now that's not happening. WHATEVS

I have noticed that when the spell is resisted, I tend to gain a lot of aggro as well. Does the chance for this spell to get resisted go up as you fight higher level creatures? I suspect that unless resistances are a factor, it's just a matter of the target level compared to your characters' level.

The root thing is interesting though, I didn't know it just attacks whatever is closest while rooted. Lets me have a bit of control over spreading damage around if that needs to happen.
Last edited by Zehv9; 11-18-2012 at 09:32 PM..
Closed Thread