Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

View Poll Results: Do you live in one of America's inner cities?
Yes, I live in a but I got inner city 41 18.55%
Yes, I live in a crime infested inner city 35 15.84%
Yes, I live in a burning crime infested inner city 33 14.93%
Bush burned the crime infested towers 153 69.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 08:21 PM
Banned

Waiting for that day when I have a specific and unique medical problem and the doctor says "just smoke some weeeeeed maaaannnn'aaammm" without even running some blood tests or recommending a better diet.

This is why Healthcare cant be nationalized, cuz ppl will demand shit without following best practices and the doctors won't give a fuck what their patients do as long as they smoke weed.

If I was a doctor I would definitely refuse to continue treatment on someone who did things that where self destructive.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
because you said open fire and he was in a school shooting. usually when people say ridiculous things they're kidding.
I suppose we have very different definitions or senses of humor when it comes to "kidding".
Old 01-23-2019, 08:24 PM
Banned

Hanging is way more dishonorable way to go than being fired.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irulan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Waiting for that day when I have a specific and unique medical problem and the doctor says "just smoke some weeeeeed maaaannnn'aaammm" without even running some blood tests or recommending a better diet.

This is why Healthcare cant be nationalized, cuz ppl will demand shit without following best practices and the doctors won't give a fuck what their patients do as long as they smoke weed.

If I was a doctor I would definitely refuse to continue treatment on someone who did things that where self destructive.
Right? I work within the fitness supply industry, and there's a big push to include CBD infusions in the fitness beverage and grab-n-go snack industry. Just got off the horn with a salesperson trying to sell me on CBD Gummies and CBD Drinks. Interrupted, and said...."look, i'm an obdurate sunnuvabitch. I don't really fucking care to hear the marketting pitch about how magical weed is dude, my customers in santa cruz and my yoga/dharmic program gyms will probably gobble this shit up and that's cool and all but spare me the Panacea pitch".
Old 01-23-2019, 08:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throndor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did the first two years at a JC, transferred with a 3.9 GPA. You're right about it being cheaper to transfer, and i suppose theres not much of a difference between GE requirements at either type of institution. Landing an A did'nt require much effort if you disingenuously allied yourself with your professors ideological bent, but it seems that's a given at any institution of "higher education" these days, where smart = conjuring boogeymen to pin people's shortcomings on.

What do you think of the Sokal affair?
Clever work, similar to the experiments conducted by Stanley Milgram.

It reveals that the established parameters of higher learning can only exist in theory because the standard itself isn't sufficiently tested except through graduates out in the professional world and in cases like Sokal.

In a lot of ways colleges cause more issues for the world than they can hope to solve, and often do so through trying to solve them.

In my first college course we were explicitly instructed never to use the word "gypped" because it was offensive to gypsies. We were then sent on a scavenger hunt around campus to become more familiar with its layout, except it was named something "more appropriate" to avoid disparaging scavengers. This was not considered a liberal college either and the professor repeatedly felt the need to inform everyone that he voted for Bush and "respectfully disagreed" with those who did not. It would have been equally irrelevant if he kept telling everyone he voted Nader. Having to include "respectfully" just added to the bs notion that we were somehow more civilized now through this sensitivity training which was present from class to class.

There was so much politically correct verbal tiptoeing going on that mental gymnastics were impossible. Comedians that used to perform at universities now avoid it altogether for that same reason. Everyone is offended for someone else they don't have any interest in otherwise.

But to the point about the credibility of college credits, regardless of external influences, that is more difficult to measure. It's easy to know when a welder has been poorly trained or taught something that is incompatible with the reality of the job. But with a softer, less hands-on job this is not always so apparent or it is less likely to be questioned/challenged by others given the setting. Everyone can name at least one office worker or college professor who should have in all rights been unemployed, but who maintained his or her position because of connections and/or politics.

Also, the experiment should serve to remind students that the mind is not to be directed entirely by a syllabus and that evidence to advance our understanding of reality is not confined to what the status quo signs off on.

My GPA was much lower than yours btw. Consistently 3.75, just enough to get on the dean's list along with a thousand other names.
Last edited by Ennewi; 01-23-2019 at 08:50 PM..
Old 01-23-2019, 08:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
whoosh
...was the sound as you desperately searched through pages of pages of news articles, only to come up empty-handed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-23-2019, 08:41 PM
Banned

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-23-2019, 08:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaringChildren [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...was the sound as you desperately searched through pages of pages of news articles, only to come up empty-handed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
link broken or something?
Old 01-23-2019, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also, the experiment should serve to remind students that the mind is not to be directed entirely by a syllabus and that evidence to advance our understanding of reality is not confined to what the status quo signs off on.

My GPA was much lower than yours btw. Consistently 3.75, just enough to get on the dean's list along with a thousand other names.
Yeah i ended up getting the Sociology department's "Student of the Year" award, and because of acadamea's tendency toward only accepting and echo-chambering assenting views, i don't even believe it's can categorically be defined as "Science", at this point.

I mean, there's some "truthiness", for lack of a better word, to it, when rhethorical conclusions remain very closely associated with sound data sets, and i somehwat like Haidt's take on the sociological foundation of morality and ethics, but i largely disagree with how heavily the entire discipline leans on postmodern thinkers such as Marcusse, Foucault, and Derridan. Critical theory, dialectics, and subtextual rhetorical analysis can be somewhat interesting but at the end of the day when you understand how they attempted to wield these tools to enact repugnant change, its hard to stand by their contributions as meaningful.

Youll have to mind my spelling, this was quickly typed out on my phone.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
link broken or something?
Nope, it worked.

It just wasn't related.
Closed Thread