Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Sarnak

Default pally starting stats

Was reading through the wiki and saw that the recommended half elf starting stat allocation was 20 (all) to sta. Before reading, i was thinking it would be all to str...any of you have some comments as to why? Str easier to cap out with gear maybe?

New to a pally...always been a cloth caster but had a warrior on live till 50ish .. wanted to try out a pally here.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Fire Giant

Str is one of the easier stats to raise, many easy to get items raise str drastically. Sta on the otherhand is relatively more difficult to raise and is arguably more important than str to a pally.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kope [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Str is one of the easier stats to raise, many easy to get items raise str drastically. Sta on the otherhand is relatively more difficult to raise and is arguably more important than str to a pally.
This.

It won't be game breaking if you didnt put all into STA, but as a tank, you want as much HP as you can get
Old 12-07-2012, 02:19 AM
Sarnak

Makes sense...now that you've said it, it sounds familiar. Thanks for insights.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Planar Protector

those extra 30 hps during raids was so worth not being able to wear my armor becuase of lack of str while leveling up.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:06 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwiseRed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
those extra 30 hps during raids was so worth not being able to wear my armor becuase of lack of str while leveling up.
This man speaks the truth - You got the same chance of finding paladin equipable gear with +STR as the one that female wood elf druid that just buffed you, being an actual RL girl.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:02 AM
Sarnak

If 30hps is that crucial to a class with LoH and heals, you're doing something wrong. I'd go strength for the majority of my points.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1203jjt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If 30hps is that crucial to a class with LoH and heals, you're doing something wrong. I'd go strength for the majority of my points.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:25 AM
Sarnak

Depends on where you see yourself going with the character. If you're gonna be perpetually running around in bronze armor with several large sewing kits of FS I can see STR being a nice convenience, especially if you went HIE or ERU.

If you ever plan on moving beyond that point, STA becomes more attractive the closer you get to max level (20 STA = 100 HP at 60) and have more money to spend on even rudimentary gear like Seb Scale, Hero Bracers, TBB, cheap weight reduction bags (EE, Light Burlap), etc. Jarsath is an option for the non-dwarf, and I've seen level 1s running around primetime scooping up almost full suits since you can almost run around the entire zone untouched at those hours and that stuff weighs next to nothing while being comparable to Ro armor.
Last edited by Arrisard; 12-11-2012 at 04:11 AM..
Old 12-11-2012, 06:26 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwiseRed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1203jjt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Some of you guys insist on comparing apples with oranges, and of course pulling numbers god knows where you actually found them. Since we're at it, let's base our choices on the knowledge that you'll get SoulFire one day which happens to have 5 CHeal charges, so you can actually plan your EQ life around it too.

An one-hour+ cooldown for 1.8k HPs at 60 which serves as an ohshit saver when the enchanter is getting beat on by 2-3 mes resists and the cleric is in the middle of landing a CHeal on you , and sub-par superior heals at 56+ with a minimal mana pool.

In case you didn't notice his sig, he has a 59 enchanter as well. Twinking doesn't sound like it will be an issue. We're not talking about someone who's starting from ground zero here.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

These are my unbuffed stats at 60 -
Granded I've retired back in March, and only a couple weeks ago decided to log back in on the server to chat with friends and catch up to what they've been upto.
All starting points into STA, mostly DW with Sky helm-boots-belt-neck, a couple pieces of planar and BS earrings, wielding epic, no VP drops - And while I still miss my Hiero / NoS.

Strength is NOT an issue. For a melee class that has the LOWEST weapon caps, the worse melee DPS behind Shadowknights (due to their epic being 40/45 while ours is 35/40 mostly), and if you notice from the pic, while removing the Sky helm which adds 2 to STR, I lose 1 (ONE) point in ATK.

One..

20 points will cost me 20, which is approximately 2%. 20 stamina will cost me 100, which is approximately 4%.

Stamina (HP) IS your defense. It's what will matter when you realise your resists aren't good enough to save you from nukes, it's what will matter when mobs <20 lvls manage to land spells on you, it's what will matter when you start hitting levels with CHealing clerics.

You don't want to go stamina? Fine. Go Dexterity.
Pick yourself up a Runed Blade. That thing not only has an insane PPM, but the proc is awesome in itself. Buff yourself upto 130ish, and expect to save around 1.2-1.5k HP's worth of runes in a single pull alone. Our Epic has a very high PPM ratio as well. Ghoulbane / SoTM , both awesome procs.

Still, you can't plan your life around procs. They are fun when they happen, and it's great to get a string of them, but depending entirely on it will one day come back and bite you in the ass.

In the current state of this server, with the availability of gear, and the fact you already have a high level toon to fund your paladin gear...

STR
IS
USELESS.

Closed Thread