Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 11:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I melee when soloing all the time. Why wouldn't I want the chance for an extra 70 damage in between constant casting?

I don't do it in groups because I'm lazy and usually pretty high up on the aggro list, but the same concept would apply. Duo/trios, I'm maxing every iota of DPS so I'm up in the mob with auto-attack on.

Trying to get hit is a different thing than taking hits, and I'm not advocating a shaman get up in melee range just to get hit on. I'm saying that a fully-functional shaman should expect to take some hits in normal grouping scenarios. A prime example is getting adds - pull aggro with slow and park that sumbitch somewhere else and ghetto CC like a boss. You're gonna take some hits there.

Examples where I'm tanking duo/trios with full AC gear up -

Shm/Mag: all the time. Especially HS South/Juggs. Mag rolls a rogue pet so I'm taking care of positioning and push like a normal tank, and keeping the robe from getting rolled.

Shm/Mag/Enc: another good example. Enc usually has something charmed, so I maintain a high spot on the aggro list so if the pet breaks, the chanter doesn't get destroyed by the mob + the former pet. Mag usually with a rogue pet here, too.

Shm/Nec: With AC/HP gear on and regen running on the Nec, I'm usually between 70-90% HP with lich alone. I constant canni though, so realistically I'm torporing once every fight to offset canni damage and that covers for mob damage too.
I feel like melee in high level groups would really only help you efficiently with Torpor in that you wouldn't do enough DPS with a melee weapon to offset what you COULD do if you used that health to Canni into mana and cast a DoT.

With that said, tanking for rogue pets and others would really be the best way. Gotta say, tanking at 60 kinda impresses me.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 11-28-2013, 12:25 AM
Sarnak

Kind of agree with yums. When you're taking hits and not medding, meleeing actually has a pretty severe mana cost. That might not be important with mana free epic dot and 200 mana cheal from torpor... But from 24 to 50 with cheap gear, you're probably best sitting in a corner.

I couldn't afford a pwc in the levels when it would have helped me most (20-34) and I imagine thats a common problem. Meleeing with a goblin parrying spear stops being exciting pretty quickly :P

Btw, if you're iksar or barbarian, consider taking a trip to KC to get some solid no-drop gear. Helm, gloves, and legs are especially strong.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:36 AM
Planar Protector

Shaman Race X is better than Shaman Race Y
Old 11-28-2013, 01:40 AM
Sarnak

Shamans are imo - the most versatile class.
there are many wrong ways to play them but through all my adventures there isn't a single correct way to play them either.
If you are more reliant on grouping, worry more about your mana. If you like soloing, worry about HP/AC. Shamans can strategically cast spells in a group and never take a hit, or you can be super aggressive and take hits all the time.
Soloing can tank and melee, or root and rot.
the list goes on.
the point is - try out what works for you and what you enjoy the most.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:36 AM
Fire Giant

II'm pretty much constant canni'ing when meleeing. I have auto-attack on so I get in a melee round between cannibalize casts - there is a spell reset period between casts, you know.

I don't fucking stand there and bash on it like a dolt when I could be doing other things. That's 101, bros.

Tanking at 60 in risky spots - best done with a mage with CoH and a WC hat. If things go wrong, you will definitely want to have both handy. Tanking at NG is easy business.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:03 AM
Kobold

You should go the melee route simply because it's way more fun that root rotting.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizerud [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You should go the melee route simply because it's way more fun that root rotting.
What he said. Root Rotting works but is boring as hell and Necroish. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread