Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 08:20 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New to P99, having full on class anxiety.

Hello, all! I'm new to P99, though not to EQ. I started playing a few months before Kunark came out, and played pretty steadily through PoP.

I'm starting up here, and it's kind of strange starting fresh with no twink gear or money. Really reminds me of my first few days back in 1999.

I'm also having issues picking a character to commit to. I need to be able to solo, because I'm never sure when I'll be on or for how long...but I'm not sure I want to do another Necro, since that was my main on Live.

Are there any other recommendations for beginner classes that can solo fairly decently, and also possibly make me some starting cash? I've been toying around with a cleric, but looking at the forums it doesn't seem that they are in high demand on this server, unfortunately.

EDIT: And...I had the wrong tab open when I posted this. Was supposed to go in the Starting Zone :-/ Is there a way to get it moved?
Old 05-03-2015, 12:52 PM
Planar Protector

Well I would make the class you WANT to play, not just one that is sort of in demand or not. A Cleric is going to be a GREAT class to have once Velious comes out. Mobs hit for a ton and people will have better gear, = more Hit Points, = needs bigger heals. Trouble is a Cleric has a LOT of slells and sort of needs good gear when they get hit, so not the cheapest class to equip to start with.But they CAN solo undead pretty well until like 40ish.

A Mage or a Necro is almost always my vote for Noobs or people coming back with no plat. THey really need NO gear to play them, only spells. And a Mage only needs to buy the Fire and Earth pet to solo lower levels. Now a Necro on here is hard to get into groups, be forewarned. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

A Druid is a great money maker for Ports, Power Leveling etc. And easy way to move around. Don't need to PAY for a port lol.

But it is a LONG way to level 60 so pick a class, race you like because you are the one that has to play it days and days at a time. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Welcome Aboard and GL. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-03-2015, 04:22 PM
Banned

If I was you, roll a enchanter. Read the guides on p99 wiki and look at some threads in the class selection area to get a feel and some tricks.
1-15 is a bit rough, but once you get breeze and charm at 16 you're golden. One of the cheapest classes to gear(cha). Also you can farm solo better then almost any class in the game.
I wouldnt go melee as first character cause solo is a pain with a ton of downtime. Farming plat is also alot harder as melee to gear yourself out.
Mage to me is just too dumbed down. I rolled a mage first and refuse to play him now. Something about mass summoning fire pets and just sitting there isnt very fun. In a group its pretty much the same thing, except you get to cast dmg shield and mod rods in addition.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:44 PM
Sarnak

I'd say go for Druid. can solo well, you get ports/SoW, can exp with charm/quading depending on your tastes, and they can still find groups at lower levels as a healer. Duo well with several classes. Druids kind of got the shaft in Kunark but there are some nice things to look forward to in Velious.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:03 PM
Skeleton

Ench is truly op solo/plat. Dont say something else unless u have video of the class soloing hs south or something.

If u want convenient solo class. Druid, mage, necro, shaman. Monk can be good if u can bum a couple knuckle dusters or wu sticks.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:44 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I'm very used to not being wanted in groups as a Necro. One of the reasons I'm shying away this time, despite my love for the class.

I think I'll try an enchanter for now. Thanks for the info, even though I posted in the wrong forum!
Old 05-04-2015, 02:25 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well I would make the class you WANT to play, not just one that is sort of in demand or not.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:52 AM
Planar Protector

Don't worry about getting cash on this server. The economy is bloated. Selling CB belts, deathfist belts, orc scalps, bone chips .... newb zone stuff ... will be more than enough to finance a starter set of gear that's better than most people had 40-50 and beyond when this server was relatively new.

By level 15 my nearly naked bard financed a full set of small fine plate + 2 really nice bard weapons, and some cheap offslot gear in this fashion. In a real, fresh, classic experience ... the 2 weapons wouldn't have even been available yet. CB belts can fetch 2pp per if you're patient. Deathfist belts even more. I could usually sell scalps for about half the price of the deathfist belts.

Play what makes you happy. Cash will happen.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 05-04-2015 at 02:58 AM..
Old 05-04-2015, 06:44 AM
Sarnak

^^That, exactly. I made nigh on 50plat selling Spider Skils in my first week.

Play what you want (You're the one sat staring at the pixels).