Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 01:16 PM
Large Rat

Default Noob Questions

I just started EQ two days ago and have a few noob questions.

1 - I keep seeing people type CC in chat and others answer with numbers like 5, 2, 3. What does this mean?
2- Are banks in different cities linked? I'd imagine they aren't based on how punishing this game is but wouldn't mind confirmation before I set off to travel.
3 - Can you only cast the 8 spells assigned to your spell bar at any given time?
4- Is there a way to maintain your memorized spells when you die?
5 - Is there a way to see what a certain spell actually does in game or do I need to check the wiki?

I apologize if these have been asked a million times previously. Any answers are greatly appreciated.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:34 PM
Sarnak

1 - CC mean someone is asking for Camp Check, to see which important camp (better loot drop or better XP or important quest item) is available. Those numbers I'm assuming are numbers of camps. In South Karana for example you get answers, 'North', 'Mid', 'Hill', 'Ruins'... names of the camps that are occupied

2 - Yes, meaning you deploy money or items into bank in one city and you can get those items back in another city. But you can't have several yours characters access to the same bank. One bank account per one character.

3 - correct. later you will be able to cast some stuff with clickie item directly out of you bag (I guess, don't have any yet, also new player) but generally, yes, 8 spells only

4 - not that i know of it

5 - not sure, i use wiki

And welcome to the game, fun but can be brutal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just started EQ two days ago and have a few noob questions.

1 - I keep seeing people type CC in chat and others answer with numbers like 5, 2, 3. What does this mean?
2- Are banks in different cities linked? I'd imagine they aren't based on how punishing this game is but wouldn't mind confirmation before I set off to travel.
3 - Can you only cast the 8 spells assigned to your spell bar at any given time?
5 - Is there a way to see what a certain spell actually does in game or do I need to check the wiki?

I apologize if these have been asked a million times previously. Any answers are greatly appreciated.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yep, as pivo said above, someone requested a Camp Check and people reported that they were camping this or that. I'm gonna guess you saw that in the Feerrott, where there are 7 Spectres, each of which is a camp.

Quote:
2- Are banks in different cities linked?
Yep! There is no "shared bank," though. If you want to transfer items from one character to another, you should ask another player. People won't steal your items, especially if you avoid random level 1s. If you like to live dangerously, you can drop an item in some secret spot, switch over to another character, and pick it up. Beware - it will only last 5 (?) minutes.

Quote:
Yes. Some classes (esp enchanter and necro) have to sit and swap spells frequently. It's part of being good at EverQuest.

Quote:
No. You'll have to sit and memorize spells every time you die. That's another reason to Bind Affinity in a safe spot (such as the default bind spots).

Quote:
No, early EverQuest never simply gave us that kind of info. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Players back in the day had to just start casting spells on stuff to see what it did. But now, you can read all about it on the Wiki.

Welcome to EverQuest and to Project 1999. There are lots of great people in-game and on these forums to provide info...and rescues. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Next questions!
Last edited by Videri; 10-15-2020 at 09:48 PM..
Old 10-16-2020, 07:28 AM
Large Rat

Thank you for the quick answers. I have another couple that can hopefully be answered. As an ogre shaman is it true I am only able to enter the Ogre City and the Troll City safely? That I will be KoS in all other cities? I'm also unable to find a list of evil vendors. Is there a list somewhere? It would be great to know where I can sell before I venture out from my starting area. The world is a scary place, knowing where I can sell would give me some sanity.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
have been asked a million times previously. Any answers are greatly appreciated.
Do you have any other questions? I specialize in existential ones, like will people look down on my character class and does platinum truly equal happiness and what happens when you confirm a delete on the character screen. Do you just go to sleep? Can you be restored? Can you wake up as someone else or will database-sync issues put you in the ground forever?
Old 10-16-2020, 09:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you have any other questions? I specialize in existential ones, like will people look down on my character class and does platinum truly equal happiness and what happens when you confirm a delete on the character screen. Do you just go to sleep? Can you be restored? Can you wake up as someone else or will database-sync issues put you in the ground forever?
Not OP but can you elaborate on this database-sync issue? It sounds provocative.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:28 AM
Planar Protector

There was a problem syncing the database at one point while Teal was up. Until that time you could have a character on Blue and have no problems making and remaking the same named char on Green or Teal.

After that it's hit or miss. You can delete your character and you won't know if you're able to remake it with the same name even if you have that character name on other servers on the same account. I had an SK that I got to level 14 and wanted to reroll as an warrior and it wouldn't let me even though I had a Blue guy with the same name. R.I.P. Spanky. On the other hand I have other chars that I can reroll at will.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:04 AM
Large Rat

One more question. I've noticed that there is significant lag in regards to monsters and other players. Is this implemented by the server to stay true to the 1999 experience or is it something to do with my computer?
Old 10-23-2020, 11:19 AM
Banned

Faction guide with list of vendors that supervillains can use along with helpful information on how to emulate the whiteknights:

http://wiki.project1999.com/An_Iksar...Through_Murder

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the mob reaction delay is intentional so that the player has a chance to avoid new spawns and safely traverse the range of mobs which con Threateningly. Other factors can affect this; if you're sitting when the mob spawns or if there is a social mob already engaged when it spawns, the new spawn instantly attacks rather than the 'play dumb' behavior that a single mob will display for something like three seconds.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:59 AM
Kobold

A good way to maintain your spell order when you die is to use the first page of your spell book for your top used spells. Put the spell you normally have as the top spell in your 8 memmed spells in the top left spot of the spellbook and then the 2nd spell in your 8 memmed spells in the 2nd highest spot on the left in your spell book and so on. On page 2 I put the 4 spells I most often use but don't have memmed at all times on the left side of page 2 ready to swap in. On page 3 and 4 I put the buffs etc. Just how I do it.

Praise Amun!
Closed Thread