Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 09:13 PM
Sarnak

^^^ nice.

too late, i fear.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:17 AM
Planar Protector

lol great pic....

I am re-watching the episode again since the first run gave me bus shock and amounted to a real mind-eraser.

If you have no idea what bus shock means, read on:

Ok, in Vanilla, there was a big class balancing intiitative. Every major change patch a new class would get their changs, and before said patch the devs asked for feedback from the community.

His initiative was actually quite successful, and a lor of class got some fundamental bad things fixed. So, it comes to the Shamans turn. There is a thread full of good and intresting ideas. However, the CM responsible for collating this feedback was sick the week he was meant to do it, so another CM took over. Our patch got pushed back as a result of this and someone else went in our place.

So next patch comes about, and they do Shaman AND Mage at the same time. Mage gets a good load of stuff and a lot of problems fixed. Shaman get about 1 buff with the rest of the changes being nerfs.

At least I think that is how it came about.

The shaman forums go absolutely mental. Someone suggests that the Dev responsible for this gets 'Hit by a bus', and the term Bus Shock was then coined. People believe that to this day the apparent shoddy treatment Shaman get is a repercussion of this incident

Full archive of all relevant bus shock links here to explain more about the phenomenon of coining this term, and Blizzard's official response and reaction to the bus shock incident. Must read if you played WoW, were involved in the community, and are familiar with some of the community managers at the time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/pid7a/bus_shock/

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 04-27-2016, 03:26 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ok. you hold that thought until the end of season 6 and we'll talk again. im not wasting my time arguing R+L=J with you. if you havent arrived at that conclusion yet, then we're reading two different books [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not an idiot. Obviously, R+L=J makes the most sense. I'm arguing just for the sake of arguing. But, GoT and ASOIAF, at this point, are more like:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

So who really knows what the hell is going to happen. That's probably what makes the HBO series the most intriguing, besides the massive amounts of boobs displayed in all 5 seasons. Hell we even got to see 100+ year old boobs in the last episode (/shiver).
Old 04-27-2016, 04:14 PM
Fire Giant

Show has reached cringe-worthy levels of terrible, HBO has really lost it's way
Old 04-28-2016, 03:57 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i will always love davos. i have a soft spot for certain onions
Onion Knight stays having onions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holahouze [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A & A, you guys are big Thorne fans. I thought his speech to NW was very well done.
That was the pep talk we all needed.

Quote:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
http://57.media.tumblr.com/4913a9a8e...qyxho3_500.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Show has reached cringe-worthy levels of terrible, HBO has really lost it's way
This thread has become like the Fuck Olly reddit except DnD are Olly.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:53 PM
Sarnak

In fairness the Dorne master plot is "Let's have a secret marriage pact that basically only three people, all of whom are over 40 know about so that when the parties come of age then we'll announce the marriage and use Dorne, the least populated area of the seven kingdoms to have a Targaryen rebellion against a powerblock of the Westlands-Stormlands-Vale-North all of whom are connected by first degree marriages/wardships/bloodlines in general."

And I'm not even going to mention the fact that Doran wants to side with the Targs despite the fact that Aerys II got his sister and her children killed by imprisoning them instead of sending them away.

Doran=low energy cuck 4 real

I honestly always thought the Dorne plot line even in the books was fucking stupid. It's only the deus ex dragons that Martin fucking loves to use time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time again.

Also, with R+L=J the entire narrative that the books seem to be working towards makes no sense.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore93 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In fairness the Dorne master plot is "Let's have a secret marriage pact that basically only three people, all of whom are over 40 know about so that when the parties come of age then we'll announce the marriage and use Dorne, the least populated area of the seven kingdoms to have a Targaryen rebellion against a powerblock of the Westlands-Stormlands-Vale-North all of whom are connected by first degree marriages/wardships/bloodlines in general."

And I'm not even going to mention the fact that Doran wants to side with the Targs despite the fact that Aerys II got his sister and her children killed by imprisoning them instead of sending them away.

Doran=low energy cuck 4 real

I honestly always thought the Dorne plot line even in the books was fucking stupid. It's only the deus ex dragons that Martin fucking loves to use time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time and time again.

Also, with R+L=J the entire narrative that the books seem to be working towards makes no sense.
Well, what other chance did Doran have? He has the lowest population and no real alliances, as you mentioned. Doesn't that mean waiting it out was pretty much his best option? I think you're not giving the Dornish master plan enough credit, nor are you giving the potential for a Dornish + dothraki army to bring real devastation to westeros

Regardless of what you think about the Dornish story arc, the way the show portrayed it was incredibly stupid. Why get such a good actor to play Doran to have him be in like 5 scenes total? Why get such horrible actresses to play the sand snakes? The show at this point just seems lazy and poorly written.

As for your last point, what do you think doesn't make sense about R+L=J? Westeros will be at war across its south, the wall will come down, and a resurrected Jon will rally the north to fight back against the Others. Dany will FINALLY land in westeros, seeing how she's been seeking a moral purpose (saving humanity for an apocalyptic invasion will finally give her justification to leave her freed slaves). The third head of the dragon will reveal himself / herself (I have no idea who this is, I suspect it will be Bran warging a dragon but I'm honestly not sure if he and the children of the forest will be on that side of the conflict) and we'll have war!!!!!

Dany will die in the conflict. A victorious Jon, ever noble and ever with the stark traits, will deny himself the iron throne and instead become lord of Winterfell. He will place Rickon on some appropriate seat... Maybe Riverrun as lord paramount of the trident. And he'll place Sansa on the iron throne. This will bring the north, the vale, and the riverlands into an alliance.

Probably wrong about all of that, especially since I have no idea what fAegon is going to do, but it's my $.02
Old 04-28-2016, 08:38 PM
Sarnak

Was a typo mate. Meant that without R + L = J the narrative would make no sense. It's canon as far as I and most of the community believe
Old 04-28-2016, 08:44 PM
Sarnak

Also, I don't think the horse lords were ever apart of the original plan and would work against Doran's plan.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:30 AM
Planar Protector

The dothraki probably weren't part of the original plan. Neither was Dany. I'm simply saying that both are reasons why you'd be cautious. Doran rebelling early, say around the time that Balon Greyjoy did, might've worked. It probably wouldn't have though. Waiting it out and plotting for his entire life was probably the only thing the Prince of Dorne could've hoped for. It was always a long shot, but it seems like a much smarter way to go than the alternative.

Unless you're a mastermind like Baelish, I think Doran did OK for himself. At the very least, he's outlasted the lannisters and most likely the Baratheons as well. Not to mention the Arryns, the Tullys, etc.....

My biggest problem with the Dornish story, like the fAegon story, is that we start to see it in book 4/5. That leads me to believe that they're either filler or GRRM lost his mind. Like I've said in earlier posts, however, I think fAegon has a real shot to cause some havoc. It's obvious he won't, but say he were to marry Arianne....

Dorne + the golden company + KL and the north in chaos.... The realm might just say fuck it, let's go with an option that's better than Cersei.

Again, I have no idea what will happen, I jut think it's unfair to shit on Dorne. Not gonna lie though, the ancillary nature of that story to the central one is poor writing on GRRM's part, so I agree with you about the narrative falling apart at this point. He has so much shit going on that even he it seems doesn't know what will happen next, or to whom.