Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 01:42 PM
Banned

Thumbs down Why do GMs still allow item recharging

This was never intended 😂

It's not classic. It's an obvious exploit and trivializes The game.

Also soulfires being used by non paladin s.

Red wood wands

Reapers

Wc caps

But let's focus on more important things like. Removing pet Windows. Dot DMG text, meditate clicking till 35 and a whole list of other great QOL improvements..

But let's leave in the most broken cheat on this server.

It was removed on red why not now?

Change my mind
Old 12-08-2019, 01:50 PM
Planar Protector

This is not the first thread about this topic.
Prior threads were moved to rnf.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 12-08-2019 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: This post was originally in Green and Teal Discussion
Old 12-08-2019, 01:53 PM
Planar Protector

I'm still waiting for proof that it ever happened in the classic timeframe. i didn't test all items back in the day but golem metal wands would only be set to 1 charge if you bought them from a vendor, which makes me assume all multi use items could only be recharged to 1 use.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:29 PM
Planar Protector

We were definitely recharging 10-dose SoW potions and Egg-shaped Pumice (after they got removed from vendor) back then on Rallos Zek. Check out the Egg Shaped/Crystallized Pumice thread in the Bug Forums - I posted a ton of evidence of people recharging Pumice via vendor at various dates on the timeline. I also was recharging root nets on my monk for instant pulling. People weren't really recharging items like Midnight Mallets but that's because people didn't really understand aggro mechanics - raid tanks didn't really use those items for such a purpose.

There isn't much logical reason for them to code it to work differently for some items and not for all items with charges to work the same. It's actually more work on the code side to make exceptions.

It was a bug. It was eventually removed. But not in the Classic timeline.

It was specifically removed from Red because it's more of an issue in PvP than it is in PvE and causing extra CSR.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Last edited by Man0warr; 12-08-2019 at 03:31 PM..
Old 12-08-2019, 03:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by silo32 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This was never intended 😂

It's not classic. It's an obvious exploit and trivializes The game.

Also soulfires being used by non paladin s.

Red wood wands

Reapers

Wc caps

But let's focus on more important things like. Removing pet Windows. Dot DMG text, meditate clicking till 35 and a whole list of other great QOL improvements..

But let's leave in the most broken cheat on this server.

It was removed on red why not now?

Change my mind
it's classic and without recharges there'd be insane pp inflation, seeing as EQ has virtually no other systemic mechanism for destroying pp
Old 12-08-2019, 04:09 PM
Planar Protector

It's classic.... get wif da program.

And it's expensive to do anyhow. I got some wands, I could use them....but holy pancakes I would be poor fast if I was going wand crazy.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it's classic and without recharges there'd be insane pp inflation, seeing as EQ has virtually no other systemic mechanism for destroying pp
This is literally the dumbest argument in favor of item recharging.

1) The total amount of pp that enters the server on a daily basis dwarfs the amount spent on recharging.

2) Inflation only affects items that no longer drop, because new items entering the economy produce a deflationary effect on that item's market price. So the inflationary pressure of newly created plat and the deflationary pressure of newly created items tend to cancel each other out, making prices relatively stable over the short and medium term.

3) Even if there was inflation it wouldn't matter, because it would affect all players who participated in the economy equally, even new players ("WTS stack of Bone chips 100pp"). The amount of plat in circulation in is completely arbitrary, all that matters in terms of pricing is the ratio of buyers to sellers.

The only defense of item recharging is that it is (unfortunately) classic as a mechanic. Its widespread abuse is obviously unclassic as hell.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:43 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is literally the dumbest argument in favor of item recharging.

1) The total amount of pp that enters the server on a daily basis dwarfs the amount spent on recharging.

2) Inflation only affects items that no longer drop, because new items entering the economy produce a deflationary effect on that item's market price. So the inflationary pressure of newly created plat and the deflationary pressure of newly created items tend to cancel each other out, making prices relatively stable over the short and medium term.

3) Even if there was inflation it wouldn't matter, because it would affect all players who participated in the economy equally, even new players ("WTS stack of Bone chips 100pp"). The amount of plat in circulation in is completely arbitrary, all that matters in terms of pricing is the ratio of buyers to sellers.

The only defense of item recharging is that it is (unfortunately) classic as a mechanic. Its widespread abuse is obviously unclassic as hell.

I mean to add on to point 2: we can see from Blue that leading up to green untwinked character could easily get mid range gear. Over time low to mid tier items lose value: Crusty armor being sold for 100pp a piece before Green opened. That means you could essentially get your tank armor that's good enough for level 40-50 content for under 1k. The reason why Blue became a twink server was not limited to the fact people twinked themselves but because of over farming even new toons were "twinked" relative to class mobs because of cheap access to decent gear.

To those worried about inflation on Green: Prices will drop. What happened to Blue will happen to Green, so don't worry.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:48 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man0warr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We were definitely recharging 10-dose SoW potions and Egg-shaped Pumice (after they got removed from vendor) back then on Rallos Zek. Check out the Egg Shaped/Crystallized Pumice thread in the Bug Forums - I posted a ton of evidence of people recharging Pumice via vendor at various dates on the timeline. I also was recharging root nets on my monk for instant pulling. People weren't really recharging items like Midnight Mallets but that's because people didn't really understand aggro mechanics - raid tanks didn't really use those items for such a purpose.

There isn't much logical reason for them to code it to work differently for some items and not for all items with charges to work the same. It's actually more work on the code side to make exceptions.

It was a bug. It was eventually removed. But not in the Classic timeline.

It was specifically removed from Red because it's more of an issue in PvP than it is in PvE and causing extra CSR.
Same thing recharging pumice on TZ as well. Til they were nerfed out of the game altogether.

There was a period of time (at least on TZ) where vendor-recharging was considered an actionable exploit as well.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:35 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think this is the best argument against keeping this mechanic. Are we going for a classic experience or classic mechanics? Because those are going to be 2 different things considering the average amount of player knowledge then to now.
Closed Thread