Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 03:12 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Feel like I'm not contributing much as a Wizard

Hey guys. I never played Everquest before but heard good things about project 1999 so decided to give it a try. I didn't read any class guides before hand (my mistake?) and went with wizard.

I'm level 31 currently and the experience hasn't been so great. I feel like I'm LFG longer than almost every other class and have become extremely reliant on the friends I've made to help me get into groups. Even then when my friends try to get me into groups sometimes they flat out reject it and say to look for another class because Wizards only slow down experience.

I try to play the class as best that I can, but even in groups I can tell that other classes are doing more damage than me and contributing. It's a bit depressing especially when grouping with other classes like magician and seeing their pets outdamage me while the magician gets to nuke as well, and the fact that magician nukes are only slightly worse than mine seems crazy.

I really do enjoy playing my wizard but having groups specifically not want your class is a bit discouraging.

Anyways, just wondering if it ever gets better or if I made a mistake in choosing what seems like the worst class in the game.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:23 PM
Aviak

Maybe not ideal for a first class trying to make friends.It can be a harsh life as a wizard while grouping, they are better suited for end game raid content then the leveling / group experience.

If you make it to 50 you'll enjoy it i'm sure!
Old 12-30-2019, 10:29 PM
Sarnak

January 3rd you get http://wiki.project1999.com/Bonds_of_Force I've been told. So you'll be able to quad and snare in dungeons, and AE snare to boot so you'll pull aggro and fulfill your wizard duty of tanking!
Old 12-30-2019, 10:32 PM
Fire Giant

I’ve noticed on my ranger that when I sit with LFG on.. I hardly ever get tells. However, if I do a /who all “zone”, send anyone around my lvl a tell to see if their group has space or a list, I will eventually get in. Sometimes you have to do extra work unfortunately.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:33 PM
Planar Protector

As a fellow wizard main on blue let me be the first to welcome you to the ranks of heavy artillery. Keep in mind that while the artillery is extremely useful it has a specific purpose. You don't roll the artillery on to the point that you wish to take that's for the DPS classes and the footman respectively. You do blow gigantic holes in fortifications however. I don't have an analogy about your super awesome ability to make people Get Zapped from one end of the world to the other so I'll just say that you didn't pick the best grouping class but you did pick an extremely strong solo and raid class. I love Wizards and want to see more of them. They still have uses in a group for General crowd control and deleting threats
Old 12-30-2019, 10:51 PM
Large Rat

I’ve never done a P99 raid. Can someone explain why wizards are better than other DPS classes at raiding, other than for their ports?
I totally get that wizards can deal damage the FASTEST, but that’s provided that they have mana. They’re just going to turn their whole mana bar into damage and then sit there medding while everyone else either catches up in damage or even surpasses them, right? (I’m assuming a raid fight lasts long enough for this to occur, no??)
Last edited by Ivanix; 12-30-2019 at 10:58 PM..
Old 12-30-2019, 10:58 PM
Sarnak

Wizard leveling is the hard part. You don't slow down the group, but there is a stigma that you're being lazy because you aren't blowing pulls up every 10 seconds. That being said, I can't count how many times I've been janky groups with double clerics, or a Paladin and Shadowknight that are by no means more efficient or ideal than having a Wizard. You just have to muddle through the middle, because in the end you'll be desired by guilds and have a purpose on raids. And then in Kunark, it's even better because the quad-kiting is amazing and AoE groups are even better.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:21 AM
Planar Protector

Wizards are their own worst enemies, throw a small/medium nuke at 80% and one that'll really take the edge off the last 30% of a mob's health... be active, root adds if there's no CC.

Mana burning and declaring "OOM" (possibly after drawing aggro) so you can afk for 5 minutes and carry on watching Netflix is the reason nobody wants a wizard around.

It's the same with necros in groups...stay busy (HoT, 1 dot if the mob survives longer than 30 seconds, mana transfer to cleric, CC an add if there's an overpull) and they're actually a good class to have around. Sending Jobobn in and going back to Netflix every 60 seconds isn't going to cut it.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:08 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wizards are their own worst enemies, throw a small/medium nuke at 80% and one that'll really take the edge off the last 30% of a mob's health... be active, root adds if there's no CC.

Mana burning and declaring "OOM" (possibly after drawing aggro) so you can afk for 5 minutes and carry on watching Netflix is the reason nobody wants a wizard around.

It's the same with necros in groups...stay busy (HoT, 1 dot if the mob survives longer than 30 seconds, mana transfer to cleric, CC an add if there's an overpull) and they're actually a good class to have around. Sending Jobobn in and going back to Netflix every 60 seconds isn't going to cut it.
You leave Jobobn alone
Old 12-31-2019, 01:24 AM
Fire Giant

I have a 54 Wizzy on Blue99 and I can say that LFG-time as a Wizard really is the most unfortunate aspect of the class. You're like to be spending a lot of your time soloing once the next patch hits and you get your "Bonds of Force" spell. To that end, I strongly suggest getting JBOOTS. On the other hand, I will always welcome Wizards in my groups. They actually offer quite a bit to a group insofar as the ability to root-CC and chain-stun caster mobs. Also, of course, the ability to simply burn down a bunch of mobs in the event of a bad pull. This is quite useful on Green/Teal where players are untwinked. I think LFGing will get a bit better once Chanters have the ability to give you Clarity.

Grouping aside, once you're able to quad-kite you will be one of the faster leveling classes. In fact I have trouble grouping my Wizzy on Blue not because of the "LFG-time" but more because group XP is just ssssooooo slow compared to quadding. And this is to say nothing of PBAE groups. Burning down 25 mobs at a time in zones like Skyfire is incredible XP and feels really great as a Wizard.

Additionally, you will be highly sought after by raid guilds and Wizards are a relatively underplayed Class giving you essentially your pick of the litter when you start guild-shopping. Those Mages won't be able to use pets on raids and their nukes will never land on raid mobs either. As a Wizzy you will be the best raid-DPS during Kunark. In Velious, once you have your Dragon/Giant-bane, you'll be incredibly powerful as well.
Last edited by Vizax_Xaziv; 12-31-2019 at 01:29 AM..
Closed Thread