Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2018, 06:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its not a new discussion, but my opinion on it has always been:

If you make fixed "code-law" like rules then folks who are jerks will (still) find a way to make loop holes to get around the rules, only now the GMs will have their hands tied by the rules.

We're better off now with GMs able to look at the general rules and apply them to the specific instance that they are mediating.

I do agree that the current system is a bit scatter-shot spread over several threads and posts by devs/GMs for the last seven years. Re-organizing and consolidating (not changing) the posting of the rules would prob be a help to new players...but its a free emu, I'm not going to tell someone to work on this for my free entertainment.

I'd also agree that some camps (the ones that are the most popular that a majority of players at some time in their EQ play will encounter. things like AC, stormfeather, some epic bits, key bits, etc.) could also do with single consolidated post of existing information (not new information)...but again, its a free emu, not a paid game...I'm entitled to nothing.

Personally, I'm very suspicious of players that clamor for specific rules. From a gaming perspective, I cannot think of a single game that I've ever played that the "rules lawyer" has made better. They've existed in every game I've ever played (from pen and paper rpgs to board games to mmos...and from time to time I have regrettably taken that role too). In most games it becomes toxic.
I would take the completely opposite perspective. I'm very suspicious of people that don't want the rules clarified. It tells me you have some intention to bend camp rules to your will. Any camp situation is made better by having clearer rules. If players want to come to their own agreements, they can still do that.