Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 01-24-2024, 04:20 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
CSR team would love to have more scripted events, but we just don't have the dev time. Ideas float internally, but that's about the extent of it. We try to throw events that are within our abilities. Mostly in the form of raid challenges, pretty easy to orchestrate with the UN channels.

It's fun seeing all the cool stuff PQ is doing, but they have that dev time.
Can the project bring on more devs?
Old 01-24-2024, 04:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddrick [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think you might be inadvertently proving my point. Raid challenges aren't something new players can participate in. I understand the CSR team here might not have dev time compared to newer emu.

Much of the work on that other emu is open source including the new zones / special event zones. While the TAKP code and the p99 code have differences like lua/pearl and client level differences, it might be possible to import some of Quarm's ideas and adjust them to work here. This would require Nilbog or Haynar level dev expertise more than likely whose time is likely valuable but is feasible.

As for what kind of events/temporary zones/other ideas are appealing to new players, the other emu appeared to solve this by adding trivial loot code to the events.
The other emu is brand new and, as a result, has an influx of people helping with CSR and coding. Many emus start out that way. Things fall off as the servers get older and the unpaid volunteers with real life responsibilities leave.

Everything you're saying is, in other words, essentially saying "P99 staff you need to spend tons of your real life time, for no money, doing a ton of work to code things, create new zones and events, etc. Look at what quarm does they're so much better, why don't you guys spend your unpaid free time creating this stuff for me???"

As an aside, your examples are arguably unclassic. GM events back in the day took place in the set zones and all players were allowed to participate. There weren't newly created zones (also would wonder if P99 is even allowed to do that under the licensing agreement they have with the EQ IP owners) for GM events and there wasn't trivial loot code. So in essence, you came to a classic EQ server and are complaining about classic EQ....
Old 01-24-2024, 04:38 PM
Server GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddrick [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think you might be inadvertently proving my point. Raid challenges aren't something new players can participate in. I understand the CSR team here might not have dev time compared to newer emu.

Much of the work on that other emu is open source including the new zones / special event zones. While the TAKP code and the p99 code have differences like lua/pearl and client level differences, it might be possible to import some of Quarm's ideas and adjust them to work here. This would require Nilbog or Haynar level dev expertise more than likely whose time is likely valuable but is feasible.

As for what kind of events/temporary zones/other ideas are appealing to new players, the other emu appeared to solve this by adding trivial loot code to the events.
Dev time is the issue. For now, we're stuck with the tools we got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpathEQ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
-Insert any event that involves a newly created character for the event - We're planning a lvl 1 undies run accross norath for our guild as a fun guild event.

-Level bracketed PVP tournament (1-10, 11-20, 21-30, ect). Would have to be dropped on short notice to prevent end gamers from endlessly twinking every bracket.

-Randomized loot shake up (unfortunately this one prolly requires devs and immediately gets shot down) but mix up the loot tables of all mobs in the game randomly and sit back and enjoy the entire server trying to figure out which of the thousands of mobs and in what obscure zone the Vulak loot is going to drop from. There are probably mobs that haven't died in months or years in random corners of the world.

-Scavanger hunt. Randomly place some desirable things accross the world and have people search for them (could focus on placing them in low level zones for accessibility but not disclose that in the event so the lowbies have a better chance of finding the stuff)

-P99 olympics. Each race competes alongside their kin against the other races of the world in a variety of competitions (diving, sprinting, archery, tradeskills, ect.) Creates a different team dynamic that breaks apart guild alegences and requires no affiliation to others on the server to be part of a team.

Some good suggestions, some may be feasible with our current tools. I'll add them to our list. Thank you
Old 01-24-2024, 04:42 PM
Server GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoofers [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can the project bring on more devs?
Nilbog's department, if anyone is interested in Deving, contact him.
Old 01-24-2024, 05:35 PM
Fire Giant

Artifacts and ancient spells.
Old 01-24-2024, 05:41 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dev time is the issue. For now, we're stuck with the tools we got.

Some good suggestions, some may be feasible with our current tools. I'll add them to our list. Thank you
Is dev time being a limiting factor something temporary in nature or an an on going situation for p99 indefinitely?

Ideas with current toolset that would be appealing to new players given limited dev support for in game events might look like:

1. Best of the Best Arena Event - for low levels
ex. Best of the Best - Level 20 only, Level 30 only, Level 40 only etc

2. Pre-Epic limited time low-level quest events (new quest out of old items)
a. During limited time event player must collect and turn in rare items from mobs that are lower level for a chance at an early item toward their Epic piece.
ex. A level 35 cleric collects lower level items that are not appealing to high level characters such as An Enameled BP from Guk, Rune Mithril Bracer from SolB, and a Ravenscale Armguards from CT and turns in for limited time reward. Reward is something like a low level item Lord Gimblox's Signet Ring as an alternative of camping Gimblox.

3. Once a week GM style Buffs out of EC that only are for characters level 45 and below.

Would require dev time

4. ZEM zone shuffling - Encourages players to try other zones

5. Increased spawn time in lower level dungeons only - temporary event
Old 01-24-2024, 05:48 PM
Kobold

Sorry you didn't get to enjoy P99's best years (2009-2015).
Old 01-24-2024, 05:49 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The other emu is brand new and, as a result, has an influx of people helping with CSR and coding. Many emus start out that way. Things fall off as the servers get older and the unpaid volunteers with real life responsibilities leave.

Everything you're saying is, in other words, essentially saying "P99 staff you need to spend tons of your real life time, for no money, doing a ton of work to code things, create new zones and events, etc. Look at what quarm does they're so much better, why don't you guys spend your unpaid free time creating this stuff for me???"

As an aside, your examples are arguably unclassic. GM events back in the day took place in the set zones and all players were allowed to participate. There weren't newly created zones (also would wonder if P99 is even allowed to do that under the licensing agreement they have with the EQ IP owners) for GM events and there wasn't trivial loot code. So in essence, you came to a classic EQ server and are complaining about classic EQ....
Imagine wanting the game you play to be more innovative.

I had mentioned I wouldn't reply to you any longer. Re-read what you wrote if you wonder why. This is my last interaction with you cd.
Old 01-24-2024, 05:51 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by khysanth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry you didn't get to enjoy P99's best years (2009-2015).
Early Blue was amazing. Those events yo. Early Green also a ton of fun.

I'm not the best days of EQ were in the past type.

The best days of EQ haven't happened yet.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Imagine wanting the game you play to be more innovative.

I had mentioned I wouldn't reply to you any longer. Re-read what you wrote if you wonder why. This is my last interaction with you cd.
It's interesting that you are acting high minded and holier than thou when you are here essentially complaining that on a server you play on for free (due to the efforts of unpaid guys putting it together for you) the unpaid volunteers who sacrifice their limited free time to CSR the server (and are short staffed) aren't doing enough things that are appealing to you personally.

Go back to quarm if it's so great over there