Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 12:30 PM
Planar Protector

I gave CBS the $100 for an annual sub just so I can see the planned two seasons. I'm definitely not keeping my sub after that, even if it means losing access to any streaming Trek (as I'm sure they'll pull it from all the other services). I hate that I feel like I've capitulated by subscribing, but at the same time I wanted to show support for more New Trek episodes.

The first two episodes - I felt that it was already in the Abramsverse, even though that's not supposed to happen for another 20 or 30 years or whatever.

I did like the visuals effects, and the cast seem pretty decent. I liked the tiny blip of the science officer's background - being engineered as feedstock or w/e. Interesting origin story for a species.

I guess we'll see where it goes. I was hoping for more "old style" trek, and a bit less on the action/drama. I'm counting on that just being the first episode two-parter and was intended to "grab" more viewership.

-Mcoy
Old 09-26-2017, 12:34 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Discovery and Orville fit two completely different show types. One is Drama/Action, other is Comedy. Not to say you can't enjoy both. I bet MacFarlane will have quite the laugh if Orville ends up being more successful, but then again that might be more due to it being broadcast on Fox instead of the All Access bullshit.

I liked both. The entrance to Discovery so far feels more like a Pre-lude to what the show will settle into. Instead of starting the show off directly on the Discovery and learning what happened to Michael to get there, it shows us directly, and now the real story begins on Discovery. So I feel like we haven't even settled into the core story yet. We're being introduced to the background/past of the main character and the catalyst of the events which started this war.

Also, I wasn't a Star Trek fan before the rebooted movies came out, so I never really watched any of the previous series. I enjoyed the movies, and so far I enjoy this show.

Orville I expected to be more comedy and satire, but it's quickly settling into it's own full show.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 09-26-2017, 12:38 PM
Planar Protector

The Expanse next season, yes I am waiting for that. I really like where that's going.

I need to check out The Orville.

I'd like to get opinions about this because I think they reached really hard with this in particular;

They brought up the color of another Klingon almost like it was a bad thing. This was NEVER brought up in other shows or movies from what I recall. Why bring color of skin up in Star Trek??

Just curious if this triggered others as it triggered me.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:41 PM
Planar Protector

Correction, they brought up skin color in the original when talking about Klingons once. It's in one of the original 60ish episodes.

But what I am referring to is when that one 'white' Klingon was being questioned about his lack of family's house and the color of his skin.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:44 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Racism perhaps, and they are exploring it in this story? If Klingons didn't have racism in any of the other series, perhaps this unification they are trying to do is what rids them of that behavior. It is a prequel after all.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 09-26-2017, 12:46 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Expanse is great because it's more realistic and more relatable. It takes place in our solar system and it has a lot of realism in it, with how courses are plotted in a solar system and travel times, how a missile fired in space can't really be avoided, etc. I don't particularly like the direction they're going with this mysterious protomolecule that can defy the laws of physics. I still like it though.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 09-26-2017, 12:48 PM
Planar Protector

I guess, but it seems like a far reach. Everyone knows Klingons are a proud race and have 'house' feuds along with a class system, but maybe they needed to introduce racism in this one for....some obvious reason. I don't know.

It just bothered me.

The Expanse:

The protomolecule didn't bother me because it's 'alien'. So it's the first alien contact for humans. It's interesting, but weird at the same time. I wonder how the factions will play out.
Last edited by dafier; 09-26-2017 at 12:53 PM..
Old 09-26-2017, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafier [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Correction, they brought up skin color in the original when talking about Klingons once. It's in one of the original 60ish episodes.

But what I am referring to is when that one 'white' Klingon was being questioned about his lack of family's house and the color of his skin.
kirk kissing uhura was the first major broadcast interracial kiss on tv

i took the white klingon as an albino more than a race thing
Old 09-26-2017, 12:57 PM
Planar Protector

I remember reading the controversy of the kiss during that time.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:38 PM
Planar Protector

I think the albino Klingon was mentioned more because he was an outcast. They were pretty quick to accept him after the whole "proving honor / worth" thing so I believe they were setting up the new "united empire" as not caring about that sort of thing. Besides, Klingons always were more "classist" where if you weren't from a Noble house you ended up with grunt work (or as a scientist lol) - kind of like the Bajoran caste system.

I also thought the Klingon appearance as a whole was... interesting? I guess they're setting it up for before they "contaminated" their bloodlines with the "more humanlike" DNA that isn't spoken of to outsiders? I'm curious where that goes and if it's written into this season.

-Mcoy
Closed Thread