Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 08-20-2023, 04:12 PM
Planar Protector

I think it comes down to game mechanics and the type of player the game is made for:

If you create a game where the end of the game is the destination, where every class can solo, and where the unique roles of each class blur, you will attract that type of player base.

If you create a game where the journey is the destination, where every class pretty much shines while grouping, and where every class has a particular role, you will attract that type of player base.
Old 08-20-2023, 11:40 PM
Orc

DnD neckbeards who spent hours around a table now can do they same thing but never leave their basement.

While I think they nailed a lot of things, for a game with quest in its name, I spent way more time camping than questing. You would think that many of the items you would get would be done by questing for it like they did with Sol Ro Armor. The game technically was an open beta for a while IMO
Old 08-21-2023, 08:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlays [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DnD neckbeards who spent hours around a table now can do they same thing but never leave their basement.

While I think they nailed a lot of things, for a game with quest in its name, I spent way more time camping than questing. You would think that many of the items you would get would be done by questing for it like they did with Sol Ro Armor. The game technically was an open beta for a while IMO
i often wonder if the game would be better or worse if it were actually quest focused in leveling progression and gearing vs what we know as camping and grinding.

camping and grinding are not really fun...but we do it anyway and for much longer than most games due to eq's longer progression to max lvl. with nothing to spice up the experience besides switching zones, i'm actually surprised most of us do it.

questing in EQ is pretty ok fun if you dont mind reading. ive had a few memorable quests in the game. the problem with them is theyre not viable for exping.

now i'd usually side with the idea that the questing would be better but i hated wows questing. so idk? either way the name is a bit deceptive for how very little questing you'll likely be doing.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 08-21-2023, 09:29 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i often wonder if the game would be better or worse if it were actually quest focused in leveling progression and gearing vs what we know as camping and grinding.

camping and grinding are not really fun...but we do it anyway and for much longer than most games due to eq's longer progression to max lvl. with nothing to spice up the experience besides switching zones, i'm actually surprised most of us do it.

questing in EQ is pretty ok fun if you dont mind reading. ive had a few memorable quests in the game. the problem with them is theyre not viable for exping.

now i'd usually side with the idea that the questing would be better but i hated wows questing. so idk? either way the name is a bit deceptive for how very little questing you'll likely be doing.
I think long quests should give ample exp and loot. It is like the devs were either too lazy or under tight deadlines to design questions, rewards, dialogue etc. It was easier to code in a rare spawn with a rare item and call it a day. The game really should be called Evercamp.
Old 08-21-2023, 10:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlays [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DnD neckbeards who spent hours around a table now can do ***a lot of the same things*** never leave their basement.

***provided thy neckbeards pay a monthly sub and engage with the metrics and grind***
Old 08-21-2023, 10:59 AM
Banned

^ or online pixel shop!
Old 08-21-2023, 11:02 AM
Banned

if i added custom content to a p99 esque clone (channeling would be ffixed) it would be a lot more low lvl quests and npc dialugue u could ask them about all kinds of things in their city and the world and every npc would have their own opinion on it -- lkike u could be like /say 'what about Antonius Bayle' and the baker may be like ...

"well he is a clown butt a gud clown" and u could be like what about Commander Kane and they'd be like "Them gnolls sure don't fuck with commander kane he sure makes sure the bread shipments get delivered on time, who cares about a few missing hoodrats'.
Old 08-21-2023, 11:04 AM
Banned

you could get like a 9/29 +5 agi katana at lvl 40 or one with int

or a dagger that looked like a katana with like +5 int and +5 mr that was wizard only and had a clicky 6.0 sec bonds 10 charges at lvl 50 and was rechargable somewhere easy for the wiz to port to by just handing it into an npc and they'd give u back a charged one maybe it would cost periodots or something to charge it up, so the sword + periodots == sword lookin cool dagger back for wizards
Old 08-21-2023, 11:05 AM
Banned

i would also nerf the shit out of epics and make everything with a click or proc effect work like the above so u would have to charge/click everything so no more infinate procs on weapons like yekesha they'd be like an insta cast stun with like 30 charges or something
Old 08-21-2023, 11:23 AM
Orc

I remember there was a comic book store that had DnD groups and you actually had to pay to join a DnD group