Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 09:55 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by korzax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So lets compare enc's in pop, when everyone knew they were op with quad damage mobs, and classic when everyone knew they were shitty at charm. Charm got better with AA's
there are no AA that improves charm. only AA improvements is damage avoidance / mitigation and mana pool, neither of which changes how charm works.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:55 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1551 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They're not here trying to fix classic EQ, they're doing their best to recreate it given the limitations of an emulator and volunteer labor working on a passion project.
Unless that provides some advantage to the players, then they fix the shit out of it.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:56 AM
Kobold

Yes, everyone was stupid. You're stupid for thinking that.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:56 AM
Planar Protector

Does anyone have any really old logs from this time period on live that have charm sessions recorded in it? If so, and you have enough, you can count up all the encounters in those logs and their duration, and start doing some math. You'll need to know the stats of chars, their levels, and the level of the mobs they are working with. Torven over at TAKP has done a ton of that kind of extensive log parsing.
Anyway, hard to do I know, but that would be one form of 'proof'.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:57 AM
Kobold

Yeah, people that played an enc back then were obviously stupid, and never tried to charm things.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by korzax [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So lets compare enc's in pop, when everyone knew they were op with quad damage mobs, and classic when everyone knew they were shitty at charm. Charm got better with AA's
My chanter charmed the fuck out of stuff in kunark, velious, and on, before and after AAs. It worked great, and I wasn't even very good at the game back then.

90% of p99 can't charm correctly today even with videos and guides all over. 9% who can do it well now didn't know how to 4-5 years ago. Dudes like Save were owning kunark solo before I even had a chanter.

My point is barely anyone even on p99 knew how to use charm to great effect for half of it's lifetime. And if barely anyone here knew how to use it well in 2014-2015, you can bet your ass nobody knew how to use it well in 1999-2001. It could have been better on live than it is here and people still wouldn't have used it because a few bads tried, and got killed by a break, and their groups all spread the word that charm is shit.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 11-16-2019 at 10:03 AM..
Old 11-16-2019, 10:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Yeah, people that played an enc back then were obviously stupid, and never tried to charm things.
Its not very untrue, dude. Most of the chanters on p99 today didn't use charm heavily several years ago because most everyone thought it was too dangerous. And that was on p99 in 2010+.

Basically NOBODY knew how to use it correctly on live.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:06 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemace [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
there are no AA that improves charm. only AA improvements is damage avoidance / mitigation and mana pool, neither of which changes how charm works.
Total domination is an AA that improves charm duration. Its definitely noticable, but for reverse charm leveling nothing is ever charmed more than a minute or two anyways.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its not very untrue, dude. Most of the chanters on p99 today didn't use charm heavily several years ago because most everyone thought it was too dangerous. And that was on p99 in 2010+.

Basically NOBODY knew how to use it correctly on live.
This may be entirely true, but we essentially will never know with absolute certainty, which is why I just accept the way things are.

One saving grace is that after Kunark things do get tougher and full traditional groups start to be more appealing to the general playerbase.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:08 AM
Sarnak

i mean, as a caster back in the days. mob starts hitting you? what did you do? run in circles trying to stop getting hit.

what do you do now? not much cause you know you're not actually gonna die so you can mez / root / charm / whatever. that simple change of mentality 'oh i'm actually fine right now' allows you to do more 'risky' stuff.
Closed Thread