Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 12:27 AM
Sarnak

Default Remove the wiki to promote in-game interaction

I think it would add to the classic experience to remove the wiki.

The P99 wiki is a modern crutch to this 20 year old game and it only takes away from the immersion. Removing the wiki would create incentive on people to seek in-game answers and conversation and also creates room for people to make their own websites.

I'm sure someone would make a custom website that may replace the wiki eventually but dang wouldn't it be so much nicer without it? I think this is why alot of the groups / zones become silent, there's no real wonder or reason to engage in chat with other players besides friendly banter which the majority dont really care about.

Link to an original live everquest website I used to check out during middle school that is still up: http://www.angelfire.com/games2/ashnight/main.html
Last edited by NachtMystium; 08-30-2020 at 12:29 AM..
Old 08-30-2020, 12:37 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah cause there were never online resources through Velious *eyeroll*
Old 08-30-2020, 12:43 AM
Banned

this is a battle that was lost a long time ago bro!
Old 08-30-2020, 12:52 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah cause there were never online resources through Velious *eyeroll*
that's exactly my point, online resources but not to the extent of the wiki we have now
Old 08-30-2020, 12:54 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feracitus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
this is a battle that was lost a long time ago bro!
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-30-2020, 01:18 AM
Planar Protector

I'm not against the goal you're trying to achieve, but another would just pop up somewhere else.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 08-30-2020, 01:23 AM
Planar Protector

I think without a wiki you'd probably lose about 90% of any true noobs to EQ... and there still are quite few curious people from later MMO genre's checking it out. Of course we know this is a silly question because a different site would be up -- prolly a complete copy paste of the wiki maybe ven in another wiki. heh
Old 08-30-2020, 01:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtMystium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think it would add to the classic experience to remove the wiki.

The P99 wiki is a modern crutch to this 20 year old game and it only takes away from the immersion. Removing the wiki would create incentive on people to seek in-game answers and conversation and also creates room for people to make their own websites.

I'm sure someone would make a custom website that may replace the wiki eventually but dang wouldn't it be so much nicer without it? I think this is why alot of the groups / zones become silent, there's no real wonder or reason to engage in chat with other players besides friendly banter which the majority dont really care about.

Link to an original live everquest website I used to check out during middle school that is still up: http://www.angelfire.com/games2/ashnight/main.html
Thanks a ton for that link!! So cool that page is still up.
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 08-30-2020, 01:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Removing the wiki would create incentive on people to seek in-game answers and conversation and also creates room for people to make their own websites.
Incorrect, this will simply encourage someone to host an exact copy of the wiki. I would wager platinum to copper that someone has a copy on their computer somewhere.

Sorry, your idea won't create the outcome you think it will, but there are a near infinite number of ways to increase in-game interactions.

I put on an epic newbie quest once where I gave away a Box of Abu-kar when a newbie completed an "epic" (for their level) quest.

If you want to see more of this in-game, you gotta put in the work. We need addition, not subtraction.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtMystium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i feel u bro

but yeah there's nothing you can do, this is just the natural reality of a game that at one point felt infinite but turns out like everything else, isnt. I wonder if the universe is?

edit:

dat link is great.

drools in elvish:

Last edited by Jibartik; 08-30-2020 at 01:44 AM..
Closed Thread