Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 09:51 PM
Orc

Default Newb ranger questions

Hello everyone,

I'm getting back in eq after a long long time and have decided to make a ranger on the green server. But I had a couple questions I couldn't find the answers to.

1. When Velious comes out do spells like call of sky and call of fire stack with weapon that have spells procs? Or do you get one or the other?

2. I have read that 2h is the way to go until lvl 50+. Is that mainly because the dmg to delay ratios on 2h weapons are cheaper to get? I guess what I'm trying to ask is pre 50 is a 2h that's say 20/30 the same dps as dwing 2 10/30 weapons?

3. Gearing wise it seems like most people like to get +hp items early. Does that stay true? If not at what point should I be switching to more melee stat items like str and dex?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the knowledge and help I've gotten from reading other threads.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyjumpin85 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello everyone,

I'm getting back in eq after a long long time and have decided to make a ranger on the green server. But I had a couple questions I couldn't find the answers to.

1. When Velious comes out do spells like call of sky and call of fire stack with weapon that have spells procs? Or do you get one or the other?
They work in addition to your weapon procs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyjumpin85 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
2. I have read that 2h is the way to go until lvl 50+. Is that mainly because the dmg to delay ratios on 2h weapons are cheaper to get? I guess what I'm trying to ask is pre 50 is a 2h that's say 20/30 the same dps as dwing 2 10/30 weapons?
DPS on a 20/30 would likely beat 2x 10/30. Though, you can easily find 2x 10/20ish weapons.

At 60, raid geared, I typically use 2h but most rangers will use 1h. I just like doing the big, chonky damage versus death by paper cuts. My DPS is usually at the top of the rangers, hanging out with the monks.
Quote:
3. Gearing wise it seems like most people like to get +hp items early. Does that stay true? If not at what point should I be switching to more melee stat items like str and dex?
STR/DEX gear will come as you get better gear - all higher end ranger stuff provides those. HP, STA, AC, MR/FR/CR are just as important, though. Can't really ever beat raw HP.
Quote:
Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the knowledge and help I've gotten from reading other threads.
Good luck!
Old 02-28-2021, 11:25 PM
Orc

Thank you so much for the response! Really appreciate!
Old 03-01-2021, 01:02 AM
Planar Protector

Hey welcome back [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. Most of this was answered but I typed it up on notepad for later.

1). Self-proc spells stack with weapon procs. The self buffs also trigger at a much higher rate. The ranger ones are fairly handy for solo and some group content (spell interupts) if your tank can keep aggro.

2. It’s a combination of things. In Kunark the 1h options are less ideal, Velious brings some really good ratio weapons that are droppable . The main advantage is raising your DW skill post-50 so the offhand is doing more work. That and Main Hand damage bonus keeps scaling so speed really pays off. There are cases for a 2h ranger on par with DW but that comes with ntov and the 2h melee patches in late Velious. In most cases an easy Swiftwind and decent/good MH are easier for the average ranger to get.

3. I went Str first to max attack while grouped. Then focused on MR which keeps you alive pulling plus helps with raid AOE’s. At some point the best gear has it all (and ac/hps are ideal) but in the mid range things like a Tranix crown, mithril arms/legs and some Jacinth rings can really bump your stats. Ideally you will have a few pieces to swap in and out depending on what you are doing, maybe even a shield if it gives you the resists.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:28 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by feniin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
At 60, raid geared, I typically use 2h but most rangers will use 1h. I just like doing the big, chonky damage versus death by paper cuts. My DPS is usually at the top of the rangers, hanging out with the monks.
Just curious, what 2h are you using, Bane of Giants?
Old 03-01-2021, 07:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydef [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just curious, what 2h are you using, Bane of Giants?
Usually Primal Claidhmore. I have Meljeldin but it does less top damage because the damage bonus is lower with it being faster. Sometimes I swap it in but mostly who cares in the zerg meta? If I'm soloing I might swap or use K's Flame and Tolan's.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:11 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by feniin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Usually Primal Claidhmore. I have Meljeldin but it does less top damage because the damage bonus is lower with it being faster. Sometimes I swap it in but mostly who cares in the zerg meta? If I'm soloing I might swap or use K's Flame and Tolan's.
That’s cool, you literally have all the dream weapons a ranger would want. So you’re saying the primal 2h typically out damages your 1 handers?
Old 03-02-2021, 12:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydef [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That’s cool, you literally have all the dream weapons a ranger would want. So you’re saying the primal 2h typically out damages your 1 handers?
Typically 2h outperforms the 1h on trash mobs in ToV. On dragons it's close. AoW and other super high AC mobs the 2h will lag behind but they're safer to use when AoW will inevitably turn - will catch fewer ripostes.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:40 PM
Orc

"Primary Hand Damage Bonuses
This is the same for all melee classes, but listed here for reference. See the Combat section of Game Mechanics for more information.

Level 28: 1
Level 31: 2
Level 34: 3
Level 37: 4
Level 40: 5
Level 43: 6
Level 46: 7
Level 49: 8
Level 52: 9
Level 55: 10
Level 58: 11"

Melee classes get a damage bonus in only the main hand. At level 40 for instance, your 20/30 2h weapon would actually be 25/30.

Because of this (level based) damage bonus- slow weapons such as Wurmslayer (25/40) are good at low levels but become BAD at high levels. At level 40 a lammy (in primary) would be 14/19 while a Wurmslayer would be 30/40. At level 60 a lammy is 20/19 while a wurmy is 36/40.

I hope this helps you in picking between different weapons.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanzin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"Primary Hand Damage Bonuses
This is the same for all melee classes, but listed here for reference. See the Combat section of Game Mechanics for more information.

Level 28: 1
Level 31: 2
Level 34: 3
Level 37: 4
Level 40: 5
Level 43: 6
Level 46: 7
Level 49: 8
Level 52: 9
Level 55: 10
Level 58: 11"

Melee classes get a damage bonus in only the main hand. At level 40 for instance, your 20/30 2h weapon would actually be 25/30.

Because of this (level based) damage bonus- slow weapons such as Wurmslayer (25/40) are good at low levels but become BAD at high levels. At level 40 a lammy (in primary) would be 14/19 while a Wurmslayer would be 30/40. At level 60 a lammy is 20/19 while a wurmy is 36/40.

I hope this helps you in picking between different weapons.
That's not how damage bonuses work at all.

They're essentially flat damage that adds to your successful attack. Compare two similar two handed swords, one with a delay of 38 (Meljeldin, Bane of Giants), the other with a delay of 44 (Primal Velium Claidhmore). Both have a stated damage of 45. The damage bonus on Meljeldin at level 60 is 32, Primal is 37. My max hit with Meljeldin is 275, max with Primal is 280.

https://lucy.allakhazam.com/dmgbonus.html
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34925
Last edited by feniin; 03-03-2021 at 05:26 PM..
Closed Thread