Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 03:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
+HP is obviously hugely important for Necros, but saying that max mana pool doesn't matter is pretty silly. If you're doing something like breaking a room solo you might end up throwing out 6-7 Paralyzing Earth roots in a row. Those add up fast at 100 mana a pop. Then you might get a charm break, requiring a re-charm and a couple of Deflux casts to heal yourself back up. That's a total of 1400 mana you could chew through in about one minute if the shit hits the fan. And that's not exactly an uncommon scenario. The high end DoTs are mana-intensive too. Vexing and Pyro together are 900 mana.

So you definitely don't want to ignore your total mana pool entirely in favor of HP. There needs to be a balance. Both keep you alive. A Necro with zero health is obviously dead, but a Necro with zero mana is soon to be dead anyway, and useless in the meanwhile.
But as a necromancer you have an almighty reset button in FD. Regardless of how big your manapool is, RNG will eventually screw you over no matter what.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:07 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But as a necromancer you have an almighty reset button in FD. Regardless of how big your manapool is, RNG will eventually screw you over no matter what.
This is the key point - the root/rot, fear kite, charm undead is to keep a steady stream of mobs that matches mana regen and higher HP/regen allows this to continually happen by minimizing 'inefficient' taps.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:17 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

2a. How much do I care about acquiring the legacy items available when kunark arrives, as they will only be around a short time and many of them will require your toon to be 50+.
Can I ask what are some of the valuable kunark legacy items? I mainly played pre-kunark back then.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:59 AM
Planar Protector

pre-kunark, Erudite/Dark Elf
Kunark+, Iksar
Velious+, Iksar

Iksar isn't just the min/max it's the only race you should play as necromancer if it's available.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:36 AM
Kobold

Erudite with prenerf fungi staff and a coldain ring 10(do these two effects stack) ?
Old 05-26-2020, 11:17 AM
Planar Protector

Counterpoint: I made an Iksar Necro on Blue and I kind of regret not going Dark Elf.

Look, in general 90% of the forum arguing over race is idiotic. It's people taking extreme cases out of context, or making obviously false statements to justify the choices they made (eg. "regen will let you kill fast enough to make up for the XP penalty" ... I call bullshit on that for any race/class combo in the game!)

Even for Cannibalize/Lich and Racial Regen ... yes on paper the two absolutely do go together great ... but in practice you're pretty much never going to win or lose a fight because you got back 50 HP in regen over the course of the fight. 95+% of the time it will only lower your downtime after the fight (a bit), and practically speaking you won't notice the difference. Just think back (even if you've never played a regen character) on all the times you survived a fight with only 50 HP, and would have died otherwise: you can probably count them on one hand, because in EQ generally when you die it's not by such a small margin. I'd argue liking how your character looks > losing five fights over your entire character's life because you didn't have regen (and again, while it will reduce downtime, A) you won't notice, and B) the XP penalty will create a lot more "downtime" between 1 and 60 than the regen saves).

However, there is one undeniable thing about Necros (and Monks) with regen: Feign Death. When you are feigning death nothing (well, a Fungi on a Monk, but for a Necromancer nothing short of a Z Heart) will help you get back up faster ... except racial regen. So there's the one and only thing I think non-Iksar will truly "miss": when an Iksar FDes at low HP, he can get up noticeably sooner than a non-Iksar (and classes with FD will likely use it many times at low HP over the course of their life). We're still only talking about "Iksar gets up after ten minutes, non-Iksar gets up after fifteen", or whatever, but again because you'll be doing it a lot you likely will notice.

So, in general I truly think you should pick whichever race you want, and I truly believe you won't regret the decision even when you get to 60 (and I say this as a proud level 60 Barbarian Shaman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]) ... and I believe this for Iksar Necros also. Again, I kinda do wish I'd picked Dark Elf, because I just am not big on Iksar personally.

But even as someone who is so vehemently a believer of "pick what you want on race" ... I have to admit there is a noticeable difference for Monks/Necros who choose (or don't choose) Iksar. Not a big one, or even major one, and not one that should decide your racial choice for you ... just a noticeable one ... which is more than I'd say about most racial differences.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 05-26-2020 at 11:27 AM..
Old 05-26-2020, 12:23 PM
Planar Protector

What level is your necro though? You'll notice the difference more the higher you get. At 60 the iksar necro will be getting a "free" 11 mana per tick and the shaman about 6 a tick. For torpor shaman though it's most likely lower though since they won't be gettng a lot of their sitting ticks.

It's not so much about having a racial that wins you a fight, but one that lets you kill you more efficiently.

Gnomes are prolly the only race that realistically has a racial that has a chance of winning them fights, and it's purely related to their tinkering, particularly the haste arms.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
At 60 the iksar necro will be getting a "free" 11 mana per tick and the shaman about 6 a tick.
Realistically, how much will you be soloing at level 60? At a raid you will always have regrowth so racial regen is moot.

Have a shorter but marginally harder grind to 60, or a much longer but slightly easier grind to 60?

Racial regen on a necro is a wash at best and not worth the xp penalty imo.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChoo Train [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Erudite with prenerf fungi staff and a coldain ring 10(do these two effects stack) ?
No, Ring 10 and other Regen spells do NOT stack. Pre-Nerf Fungi Staff will overwrite Ring 10.

However, there is still some benefit to having both. Fungi Staff (Pre-Nerf and Post-Nerf) snares you, and removes run speed buffs such as Jboots and SoW. Therefore, you would use Fungi staff when sitting, and ring 10/Jboots/SoW when running.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:03 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Gnomes are prolly the only race that realistically has a racial that has a chance of winning them fights, and it's purely related to their tinkering, particularly the haste arms.
Can you elaborate? I can only see those tinkered arms with clicky haste, must equip, WAR CLR.
How does that help the necro?
Closed Thread