Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-08-2020, 02:01 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurekaent [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Any word on when this will be fixed for Green/Teal? Spell particles are not classic, upgraded HD models are not classic, so why can't we have HD water and sky?

Thoughts?
Spell particles are as close to classic as possible after many hours of work. Same thing for the sky. The water and shadows came years after classic so they’re forced off. This project is all about making the experience classic, and that includes client graphics.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:51 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Spell particles are as close to classic as possible after many hours of work. Same thing for the sky. The water and shadows came years after classic so they’re forced off. This project is all about making the experience classic, and that includes client graphics.
First of all, Telin, thanks for all the countless hours you and your humble team pour into the love project that literally is like therapy to us kids that are now adults who get to come home to the world of Norath we all know and love. You guys don't get enough appreciation and I looked at your other posts and you're clearly focused on make updates, staying on track, and updating the community with changes and updates. Some elven wine is due!

I believe this community is very excited about the green project and the numbers speak for themselves. I've relived and created some amazing memories since rolling my character on Green. I enjoy the attention to detail and personally enjoy the original sky and the water that you guys have worked on. Hell, you even nailed the OoT boat ride even though the route had to be slightly adjusted and levitation had to be implemented.

Since many of the players currently here (id say about 70%) are knowledgeable at least in some form of file alteration or basic drag and drop file management, our point is simply it would be nice to manually, behind the scenes, make minor adjustments to things like water or sky. Simply for the immersion and enjoyment that you have already created but applified to our personal tastes. No one is asking for overhauls or Luclin skins or anything to crazy. It's just for those times you want to soak in the sunset while listening to some LOTR music or Enya (don't judge me) and chatting with you're guildies about your train that delvled you.

Afterall, my classic experience didn't involve a 24" monitor with 1080p resolution and flawless 60 FPS. I'm not asking for any in game modification, and UI changes, or any upgrades. All I ask is for the freedom to make 1 or 2 backdoor changes that only people who know what they're doing will even want to chase after.

The current state of Green/Teal is phenomenal and I would never want to take away from all your hard work. I hope that's it's clear how grateful we are that you all have devoted so much love to this project and if I'm wrong in my thinking, I completed understand.

Thank you again and may Tunare bless you!! lol
Old 01-13-2020, 08:32 AM
Fire Giant

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While your response is appreciated (and love Green, btw), it didn't really answer any of the questions asked: If there is a pin that links a guide to swapping to Luclin textures to improve upon the classic experience, and tons of projects allowed to improve the character/texture graphics - and even reskins - why should sky/water be any different for my own, aesthetic experience via the same precedence as the Luclin texture guide you guys have pinned?

It would be paradoxical to say it wouldn't be allowed because it's not a classic experience while allowing all the other textures/particles/etc to be swapped for the personal experience when sky/water are just textures in a different directory.

Quote:
our point is simply it would be nice to manually, behind the scenes, make minor adjustments to things like water or sky. Simply for the immersion and enjoyment that you have already created but applified to our personal tastes. No one is asking for overhauls or Luclin skins or anything to crazy. It's just for those times you want to soak in the sunset while listening to some LOTR music or Enya (don't judge me) and chatting with you're guildies about your train that delvled you.

Afterall, my classic experience didn't involve a 24" monitor with 1080p resolution and flawless 60 FPS. I'm not asking for any in game modification, and UI changes, or any upgrades. All I ask is for the freedom to make 1 or 2 backdoor changes that only people who know what they're doing will even want to chase after.
It's pretty much this. I'm enjoying EQ more than I ever have while being able to have HD textures, high resolution, fast loading times, and tons of personal-level quality of life gains I never had back in the day. Classic EQ mechanics, but with NICE gfx?? That's the dream.

If you like the color purple and you don't like the color yellow, please don't deny the color yellow for all those that enjoy it more if it doesn't affect anyone else if it would vastly improve the personal experience that does not affect anyone else. Water and sky are just textures just like the higher-quality Luclin gfx textures that is already allowed to swap (and pinned in the guide list), to further emphasize the existing precedence that is allowed.

Does any of your staff use these non-classic Luclin textures? Or know players using Luclin textures? 100% of my friends use them and I'm sure yours do, too. Do you believe they are having fun using it without it affecting anyone else? For classics sake, would you remove this ability to swap? I'd bet not -- but if not, I believe sky/water should be allowed to be swapped by that same concept.

Thank you for considering~
Last edited by mischief419; 01-13-2020 at 08:52 AM..
Old 02-03-2020, 04:14 AM
Fire Giant

Any workarounds for this? It wouldn't make sense to allow for graphical upgrades for everything *except* this. The precedence would be paradoxical~ Can we please completely either allow or disallow graphical mods (hopefully allow since it's our own experience with tons of happy folks using them)? If allow, would love the ability to swap out water/sky to match my current setup. It's weird to have HD skins/textures then have water/sky look so dated.

Is there a specific point to allowing texture swaps for everything except water/sky? That's like allowing all RGB colors to be displayed .... except blue (randomly).

These used to be swappable (with new water option even conveniently in settings!), so it should only be uncommenting a line of code, I'd imagine, since this was already ninja changed earlier.
Last edited by mischief419; 02-03-2020 at 04:22 AM..
Old 07-05-2020, 08:06 PM
Sarnak

I loved this but I think I understnad why textures are allowed but water is not. With the new water you are able to see through it where the original water was not transparent at all. I think the best bet for better water now is by modifying the original water texture to something more pleasing to the eye. The jellow water makes me feel like I'm going ti have a seizure.