Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Old 07-04-2020, 09:41 AM
Sarnak

Default Lich of Miragul shouldn't spawn until Sky?

Lich of Miragul in the Everfrost Caves shouldn't spawn until PoSky releases, right? Even though that is any day now. He frequently murders people trying to camp the bear for Totemic Helm, and his only purpose is for the Fiery Avenger quest, which requires PoSky to complete.
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:09 PM
Planar Protector

A quick newsgroup scan sees no mention of the Miragul lich in Everfrost until March 2000. I will search more later.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:24 PM
Aviak

I would assume Miragul would be in when the FA quest is in. So we can probably infer by searching when the FA quest went in.

Looks like FA was not discovered yet in October 1999 (SolRo era): https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...E/rlqoQrC6tBQJ

And then again in December 1999 people were still speculating about FA:
https://www.oocities.org/theroyalnor...uard/rok1.html

However on page 2 they seem to be mentioning a lot about Miragul and it seems like someone even wandered into the caves and got "vaporized in one spell":
http://www.oocities.org/theroyalnorr...uard/rok2.html

I can't get more of the links to load in the above for some reason. However, just page 2 seems to indicate that Lich should be in before the FA quest.

A more recent post seems to indicate the FA quest came with Sky (Jan 2000): https://www.eqclassic.org/forums/vie...hp?f=16&t=1633

So I think it might be correct that it is in now. Maybe it was in too early with SolRo, but seems to be in during "December 1999" which is this month (July).
Old 07-06-2020, 10:36 AM
Planar Protector

Everfrost mobs list from the Dec 1999/Jan 2000 spreadsheet doesn't have the Miragul lich (mob list attached as image, link to sheet can be searched on forums).

The working FA quest didn't go live until Feb 2000, it was originally a broken Sphynxes quest that never worked. Brad admitted this later on.

Patch notes for FA quest introduction (Feb 2000 / Paineel patch):

https://wiki.project1999.com/Patch_Notes#Fiery_Avenger

Patch notes with congratulations for the first FA completion (March 2000):

https://wiki.project1999.com/Patch_N...rch_21.2C_2000

So realistically I think we are looking at a February 2000 introduction of the Lich. I will check the mailing lists next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg everfrost-mobs-list.jpg (19.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-06-2020, 11:01 AM
Planar Protector

Here's the March news summary for Paladins of Norrath where they are still putting together the FA quest, via an Ezboard forum (which is still blocked, godammit).

https://web.archive.org/web/20001023...es/marnews.htm

At the top they link to a summary page here, once they've figured everything out:

https://web.archive.org/web/20000621...ryavenger.html

Quote:
The head of Miragul can be found by killing the Lich of Miragul in Everfrost.

The challenge to obtain the final component, the Robe of Miragul, is where things get interesting. Indeed it seems it will be necessary to bring back Miragul from the dead (or undead as the case may be) and defeat him to obtain his robe. But how to do this? Well, it seems the two book parts dropped from the dragons can be combined to form the book of scale. The book of scale can then be given to the Oracle in OOT who will then present you with a most interesting item. No, it's not the robe itself but it seems instead a key component to getting Miragul reincarnated. How to actually do this though I have no idea.

Facts and History about Miragul (a complete history can be found here):

History:

"...Miragul then left Paineel, using a small portion of his dwindling life energies to make a portal back to his cache hundreds of leagues to the north. Upon arrival, he withdrew silently to his most secret laboratory and prepared his final spell. Dreaming all the while of endless exploration and discovery, he slowly made ready his ultimate experiment. The enchantment laced with necromancy was finally made, and Miragul hid his remaining and fragile life within the phylactery, a small device he had pilfered from the other necromancers. Clouds of mystical energy gathered and then dispersed, revealing a shell of the man Miragul once was, an undead mage, what ancient scripts and legends called a lich. In his haste, however, Miragul had made a miscalculation. The lich, while retaining all the mystical power of his formal self, lacked a spirit. Only the mage’s soul, now locked within the phylactery hidden deep in the cache, retained the ambition and desire to amass knowledge and power. The spiritless lich possessed none of these human traits, and Miragul’s soul screamed in silence as the undead creature began to aimlessly wander his menagerie of wisdom and enlightenment, his rooms filled with artifacts of power."

Facts:

He is a necro skeleton mob in the caves in Everfrost(The ones you need to swim to get to) He is not hard for a 40+ group of 6. Was blue to me at level 49. He often wanders and tends to stay close to the entrance to the caves near the water. He drops his head when killed. I would assume that his spawn time is about 4-5 hours like most all other quest mobs but this is not confirmed.

Information about the Book of Scale as related to Miragul:

"We combined the books and gave the "Book of Scale" to the Oracle, who then tells you something about ressurecting yourself will lead to total chaos in Norrath (whats wierd is he refers to you and not Miragul). What he gives you is in fact "Miragul's Phylactery". The item is no drop so whoever turns in the book must be able to do the next part of the quest. The person who completed it on our server was an SK. I, like you guys, figured the first thing to do with the item would be to give it to Miragul, the problem is he is KOS to everyone. Some things I would like to try are to see if a necro in their skeleton form is KOS, also the item has a blank effect on it. My guess is that this time its not a mistake on the item unlike many other new items in the game. I think you click on miragul and then activate the item with a right click. This is just a guess though, and I look forward to seeing what other people try."

-Felwyn Arkenlight

Oracle of Ak'anon text:

Oracle of K'Arnon says 'Unbelievable! The legendary book of scale is mine! Please, take this as a small token of my thanks. I warn you however, if you ever manage to join the corporeal body to the evil that resides within, you will rue the day.
Your faction standing with OracleOfKarnon got better
Your faction standing with OracleOfMarud got worse

Here are some definitions of a phylactery submitted by Beldukil Lawbringer of the Povar Server. Definition #3 seems to fit in the case of Miragul.

phylactery \Phy*lac"ter*y\, n.; pl. Phylacteries. [OE. filateri, OF. filatire, filatiere, F. phylact[`e]re, L. phylacterium, Gr. ?, fr. ? a watcher, guard, ? to watch, guard. Cf. Philatory.]
1. Any charm or amulet worn as a preservative from danger or disease.
2. A small square box, made either of parchment or of black calfskin, containing slips of parchment or vellum on which are written the scriptural passages Exodus xiii. 2-10, and 11-17, Deut. vi. 4-9, 13-22. They are worn by Jews on the head and left arm, on week-day mornings, during the time of prayer. --Schaff-Herzog Encyc.
3. Among the primitive Christians, a case in which the relics of the dead were inclosed.

A speculation about liches:

concerning liches...you can kill a lich as much as you like but it is never truly destroyed until you destroy their "soul jar"...basically a high level necro discorporates their soul and stores it in a holding device, most often referred to as a jar, that way if their body gets destroyed, they still have their soul and can then inhabit another body, then discorporate again, etc

now the plane NPC says he was never able to defeat miragul, and would love his head as a trophy...ok fine, done deal go kill the lich and get a head

suppose for the other part (robe i think?) you have to *truly* destroy miragul, which means destroying his soul....so how exactly does one do this? just drop the "jar" and break it and poof he's dead? probably not...i can just see having to find some special NPC who knows how to destroy the soul of a lich (for 2000pp of course) and then rewards you with the robe or something....just a thought but sort of makes sense a bit...of course, maybe giving miragul his soul would corporate

Speculation about the next steps:

"I think you might have to give the Phylactery to Akera to get him to spawn the Lich of Miragul, whom you then kill on the 4th island in the plane of sky to get the robe" - Yukitaro Antslayer, KEG GM, The Rathe

"There are NPCs in Paineel who respond to questions about Miragul. Actually they refer to him as Myragul. Also, there is a "tormented soul" there that will not respond to my erudite shadowknight. One NPC who responded to questions about Myragul also responded to a question about the Oracle of Marud." - Avarus, LoD, Innoruuk Server

"The tortured soul is currently the front runner for the Myragul Robe quest. Now all we need is for an evil acolyte to take Myragul's Phylactery to the tortured soul and then bring 20 or so friends and be prepared for a decent fight." - Drool Darklighter

FINAL Quest Information

YOU HAND THE PHYLACTERY TO THE LICH. That spawns Miragul and you kill him for the Robe and Head (exact same head as before so I'm betting the Robe was added after his lichness dropped his head by error)

HOW? Well there are lots of ways. You can have the Lich Harmonied and then sneak up on him from behind and give it to him. You can apparently use illusions + mes + mind wipe to hand it to him.

WHAT DID I DO? I charmed him. I just cast allure on him, he was now quite happy to be around me and I handed him the Phylactery. Its quite easy once you have the balls to do something insane and hand a KOS creature the equivalent of 2 rare dragon loots and 1000 plat. - Qhue Oculorum, Master Scholar and High Enchanter of Tunare
Anyways, my money is still on February 2000 for his addition, I'll keep my web archive search running and see what else comes up.
Last edited by Dolalin; 07-06-2020 at 11:14 AM..
Old 07-06-2020, 11:12 AM
Fire Giant

He also wrecks Wizards questing for Tarton's Wheel.

P99B Strazha (60 Warlock) [Iksar]
P99B Sstrix (60 Warlord) [Iksar]
P99B Sickjams (5 Bard) [EC Mule]
P99G Sauna (51 Channeler) [Gnome]
P99R Sseri (54 Mystic) [Iksar]
VZ/TZ '08-'09 Lurgort (60 Shaman) [Barbarian] <Eight Inches Unbuffed>
Old 07-06-2020, 11:19 AM
Planar Protector

Everlore's Everfrost mobs list captured at the start of March 2000 didn't have the Miragul lich:

https://web.archive.org/web/20000302...e=14&land=1375

The next capture in November 2000 does:

https://web.archive.org/web/20001119...e=14&land=1375

First comment on his thread is dated June 2000:

https://web.archive.org/web/20020615...&pg=1&sortby=1

Pretty sure he would have been added before March if he were in the game for any solid length of time.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:24 AM
Planar Protector

EQVault posting about the first FA awarded to the Musk dude, dated March 17 2000:

Quote:
Fiery Avenger Found!
Musk of the Taunre server is the first player to ever find the legendary Fiery Avenger. Here's the report I received from Drool:

As the army grew larger, so did the doubts among the crowd. Are we sure slaying Miragul is a good idea? Could this be it? Is the defining weapon of the Paladin class finally within reach? Those questions were answered over a ten-hour player event held Thursday night on the Tunare server.

As dawn approached the West Coast, Musk of Tunare became the first player to wield the Fiery Avenger on Friday, March 17th. Following the slaying of Lady Vox, the proud dragonslayers decided to search the caves of Everfrost one more time for the Lich of Miragul. Musk had an idea, which Qhue Oculorum and Drool Darklighter were not so fond of and that was attempt to resurrect Miragul, the greatest magic user in the history of Norrath.

Miragul was successfully reincarnated, and promptly dispatched by Tunarešs finest. The trip to the Plane of Sky was inevitable. Adrenaline was at an all time high and this was going to be the night. The guilds emptied their treasuries and began an assault upon the denizens of Sky.

After six hard fought hours in the altered Plane, Inte Akera, the greatest Paladin to ever walk the face of Norrath, stood before us. Musk received Intešs blessings and was rewarded with the Fiery Avenger!

Thanks goes out to the following guilds of Tunare for supporting our efforts throughout The Quest; Celestial Crusade, Talisman, Krieger, Phoenix Alliance, Northern Cross, Champions of Divinity, Courageous Few. A special thanks to Nalix, Qhue, Tsai, Charron, Belleus, Sassnik, and Ronodar.

Cheers!

Drool Darklighter, Level 50 Paladin
Leader of Celestial Crusade
Proud Citizen of Tunare

I did some more checking and this was confirmed today by our friends at Casters Realm who confirmed it with Verant's Gordin Wrinn. They have a screenshot up of it which you can view by click here. Here's the full stats on this legendary weapon:

33 Damage 44 Delay
Two-Hand Slashing
+15 Strength +10 Charisma +15 Wisdom
+25 HP +5 Save All Resistances
Effect: Flame Shock (110 HP Direct Damage)

We'll try to get some more screenshots later on.

Congratulations Musk!

http://web.archive.org/web/200010111...20000312.shtml
To my ear as they are talking about Miragul it sounds like he's a new thing, not something that's been around for awhile. I guess that's subjective though. Still looking.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:43 AM
Planar Protector

Here's a good one:

Quote:
4/12/2000

Another Tip: The Bear is found in the Underwater Caves in Everfrost Peaks, I won't explain the way to you, just ask in the Zone, someone will show it to you. Besides that, now that the Fiery Avenger is available again, there is a tough Mob in the Underwater Caves: Liche of Miragul
He cons blue to a level 50, but rips 2 groups of 50ies, no joke
Try to avoid him, by Pulling the Bear away from his walking route, and by INVISING yourself to Undead. There is another Guy down there: Sulon McMoor, KOS to everyone though he is a Human, he casts a fire shield on himself and dual weilds for 89 90, hehe, approx Level 40.

https://web.archive.org/web/20030617...&pg=1&sortby=1
Old 07-06-2020, 12:43 PM
Planar Protector

What I really want to know is whether the Books from Naggy/Vox also dont appear til PoS bc the quest gets completed so fast its almost as if the books were around but had no use.