Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 11:29 AM
Fire Giant

Default Mage pet question

Thinking about making a mage. First time with the class.
They have lots of research pet. Im use to just buying spells from vendors or players.
With Blue being low on population I dont want to risk making the class and not being able to get my spells in EC.
Is research the only way? Anything else do I need to know?
If its research (I never leveled that skill before) is it easy? Very difficult? Worth it?
Or should i just skip to Ench, which i was thinking about aswell haha
Thanks in advance!
Old 06-13-2020, 12:06 PM
Kobold

My mage is 46. Haven't bought a single research pet yet. No doubt I will need to at 49 but other than that you can definitely get by. You usually get 2 pets at vendors. Haven't done any amount of research, it seems too time consuming for me to get into.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:31 PM
Sarnak

You will have the same trouble finding some enchanter spells which are also Research only.

You can either raise your Research skill (I'm sitting at Research 172 atm, I can tell you it takes time and PP), locate components, make your own spells and sell in EC the ones you don't need,
You can hope a friend/ guildee of the same class and with a high enough Research skill will make them for you,
You can buy your spells from players or be lucky and find them on vendors
Old 06-14-2020, 07:20 PM
Fire Giant

Ty both
Old 06-20-2020, 03:23 PM
Kobold

I just stood in the tunnel , or checked the /who all mage list for 50+ mages. Ask them if they have research leveled up and if they would mind doing a combine for you. I would just hand them the book with the stuff inside and they just hit combine for you , I would try and tip them but most of the time they gave it back , people are nice =)
Old 06-20-2020, 09:32 PM
Fire Giant

Ty good idea
Old 06-21-2020, 12:53 PM
Fire Giant

You can get by without research if you just find the words for the page and /who all a high level mage they can make it for you... Or you can farm some pp in your 20s and go pump points into it at the guild master trainer. It's not really hard to be honest.
45 Dark Elf Wizard - Smurf PVP
41 Enchanter - Jeffery PVP
37 Iksar Monk - Buster PVP
26 Human Ranger - Kenny PVP
RED99
Old 06-21-2020, 02:05 PM
Fire Giant

Perfect think im going with mage then! With all these mage people talking, any mage item that is necessary ? Like pre nerf CoS for a Necro type items.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:20 PM
Fire Giant

You mentioned Blue server as your potential home in the OP, so you shouldn't have issues with leveling a magician at all as there are between 1 to 2 pets for each casting tier available at the vendors from levels 16 on, and all 16 & 20 pets on the OOT vendor. Folks on Blue still farm locations like Warsliks Woods for a graknist earring, or goblins in Sol or Permafrost dungeons for bricks and blocks of ore for plat/hour needs. Those farmers usually have maxed 10 slot bags (summoned) or tinker or something similar and loot and sell EVERYTHING. So if you check cities somewhat close to those areas, vendors will have mage research crap.

It's the same deal for power level sites like Unrest and Mistmoor, City of Mist and Karnor's. Folks still loot the crap and vendor to spots nearby. What would be superb time saver would be to have a 19 druid that is bound in either Kunark or Velious to do quick checks for vendors in old world and somewhere new - that's IF you are going to bother with research at all. It's entirely possible to skip research on Blue and power level straight through to the 50's and use vocerates. Never get too attached to needing a certain pet to level. Focusing on getting new levels is the answer.

As for items, you WILL want your magician focus items. You can start farming those yourself in Najena at level 20 to 24 if you want. If you level all the way to 27 or 28 off of the dark elf magicans and other trash, you will get all 4 or close to it by the time everything is too green for you. If you do miss an item, there's always Cazic Thule gators in your 30's.
Last edited by NegaStoat; 06-21-2020 at 02:22 PM..
Old 06-21-2020, 06:10 PM
Fire Giant

[QUOTE=NegaStoat;3147719]
Perfect! Ty
Closed Thread