Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 08:11 PM
Planar Protector

Your script for this is much cleaner than my sloppy regx I slapped together for that site lol.

Is there anyway you know of for detecting if the user is logged into the wiki via js?

I imagine if the user was not logged in the button could just be to copy the formatted textarea and a prompt to login, and if they were logged in it could have the name/server field and have the copy & create/edit button.
Last edited by Argh; 06-26-2020 at 08:15 PM..
Old 06-26-2020, 08:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Detecting if the user is logged into the wiki via js?
I'm extremely against this idea.
If this becomes a thing I'll do everything to burn this.

Privacy #1

Edit: littreally you think you've seen me shit post or get mad...
Invading users privacy,. i'll flip the fucking earth beneath your feat.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 06-26-2020 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: I know of the non-privacy aspect already attached.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:26 PM
Planar Protector

Lol, how is it an invasion of privacy to detect if you're logged into the site you are currently on? You need to be logged in to create or edit the profile on the wiki. It's easy enough to do in a not-so-clean way by just checking if the utility menu's create account & login buttons are there.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your script for this is much cleaner than my sloppy regx I slapped together for that site lol.

Is there anyway you know of for detecting if the user is logged into the wiki via js?

I imagine if the user was not logged in the button could just be to copy the formatted textarea and a prompt to login, and if they were logged in it could have the name/server field and have the copy & create/edit button.
Yes: in the upper right corner of the page it has your name if you are logged in, so the JS can check that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm extremely against this idea.
If this becomes a thing I'll do everything to burn this.

Privacy #1
Slow down and let me explain web tech [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Everytime you visit a page, it runs code (Javascript code) for that page, on your computer. If any page does anything (other than just display text and graphics), it needs to have such code. All the wiki features, eg. the era filters, depend on it.

When you click off the Kunark checkbox on a spells page for instance, you want the code to remove the Kunark spells from the page: it needs control of the page to do that. But none of this is a privacy concern because it's all running on your computer. It just does useful stuff in your browser, like hiding Kunark spells or whatever (or in this case not showing you the import UI unless you're logged in).

Now in theory I could use that code to "stalk you on the wiki". There are browser protections, and I'd likely need to partner with Rahvin to make it work, but without going into all the messy details ... yes technically it could be done. Any site can "spy on you" on that site. But it would be a ton of work, for no benefit whatsoever, because literally all we could know is what you did on the wiki.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 06-26-2020 at 08:50 PM..
Old 06-26-2020, 09:11 PM
Planar Protector

Are you aware javascript is the only thing making most of the wiki function already, including magelo profiles and this parser?
Old 06-26-2020, 09:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Are you aware javascript is the only thing making most of the wiki function already, including magelo profiles and this parser?
there is a huge difference between what you proposed earlier in this thread to TRACK USER WHO ARE LOGGED IN and simple actions that happen.

Mind you simple actions can be used to track you,. but what Argh is proposing is an authoritarian tracking of users.

Argh wants to track your actions, and is deflecting to try and throw shade on everyone except himself.

He also derailed this thread and @nilbog should please step in.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
there is a huge difference between what you proposed earlier in this thread to TRACK USER WHO ARE LOGGED IN and simple actions that happen.

Mind you simple actions can be used to track you,. but what Argh is proposing is an authoritarian tracking of users.

Argh wants to track your actions, and is deflecting to try and throw shade on everyone except himself.

He also derailed this thread and @nilbog should please step in.
You're still not understanding: there's no tracking. The idea was "don't show the magelo import UI unless you are already logged into the wiki." The only computer involved in that whole process is your own.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're still not understanding: there's no tracking. The idea was "don't show the magelo import UI unless you are already logged into the wiki." The only computer involved in that whole process is your own.
No, I do understand there is no current tracking.

What I'm speking to is Argh direct request for tracking.

Btw i am sorry loamin for this thread turning into this but you can thank the user "Argh" for being an authoritarian and wanting absolute control,.
By suggesting you control/gather information via javascript on users. Which i'll fight tooth and nail against.

also yeah I do know their name, most recent job, etc. but yeah, I got a post count I care about.
Last edited by Baler; 06-26-2020 at 09:25 PM..
Old 06-26-2020, 09:24 PM
Planar Protector

I have to imagine you are jut trying to troll me Baler.

An example would be this:

Quote:
function isUserLoggedIn () {
var loginState = document.getElementById('pt-logout') ? true : false;
return loginState;
}
The function returns a true/false value depending on if you are logged into the wiki, by checking if the 'logout' button in the header is present.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I have to imagine you are jut trying to troll me Baler.

An example would be this:

Quote:
function isUserLoggedIn () {
var loginState = document.getElementById('pt-logout') ? true : false;
return loginState;
}
The function returns a true/false value depending on if you are logged into the wiki, by checking if the 'logout' button in the header is present.
It hurts my soul just a litle to see a ternary used with true/false like that (FYI you could just do !!document.getElementById('pt-logout') if you really want a boolean, or just leave off the !! and it will still be a "tuthy" value in terms of how JS treats non-booleans as booleans) ... but that's still an excellent example [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But again, the key thing is that we're talking about hiding part of the UI, on your computer, by looking at another part of the UI, again on your computer. No tracking.

Last edited by loramin; 06-26-2020 at 09:29 PM..
Closed Thread