Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-04-2017, 09:48 PM
Large Bat

Default Frame rate drops badly in Field of Bone

I have been playing in the old-world zones for a while and never had any performance issues other than a little lag/frame rate drop in the Qeynos newbie area, where lots of mobs are tightly packed. I tried creating an iksar, though and when I go out to FoB to the newbie area I get a horrible performance drop when looking straight out to the open area.

I have tried the steps given in the FAQ; tried compatibility mode for eqgame.exe (to windows 7 and XP both), tried turning down my max frame rate in game to 30, tried running as Admin, even tried installing and running under WinEQ2. No effect, I still get a problem in FoB.

I don't know if there are any other zones that cause a problem; the only other Kunark zone I tried (other than Cabilis which didn't seem to cause any issue) was Swamp of No Hope, which seemed OK.

Are there any specific settings I can try in the display options or any other steps I can try to make FoB playable?
Old 01-04-2017, 09:58 PM
Planar Protector

Turn off shadows if you haven't. Lower your clip plane.

What kind of machine are you running this on?
Old 01-04-2017, 10:15 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanable [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Turn off shadows if you haven't. Lower your clip plane.

What kind of machine are you running this on?
I haven't messed with shadows, I'll give that a try, thanks.

This is on an HP desktop system under Windows 10, AMD Athlon II X4 processor, 6 GB RAM, video card is a Radeon HD 5700. It's a few years old for sure, but I nothing I'd think would have trouble with EQ.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:47 PM
Planar Protector

Possibly related: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=254447
Old 01-05-2017, 11:24 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks! This is what makes forums great; I got more info in two replies than from a day of googling. Much appreciated!

Once I have a chance to try this stuff I'll post an update in case anyone's having the same issues.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:06 PM
Large Bat

I think I finally kicked this. Turning off shadows, adjusting the video card settings and lighting did help, but what finally did it is following some of the instructions in the "feels zoomed in" thread.

I had the resolution set to something super wide, so it looked like the guy there described. I adjusted the eqgame.ini settings, then in game went to 1280x960 (a 4:3 resolution) and tried my iksar again; BAM, everything is fine in FoB.

Hope this is useful to someone.