Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 06:00 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosilk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because this is supposed to be a game of dependency and socialness not a game of solo isolationism like live turned into. Same reason boxing isn't allowed. Group up no penalty easy fix.
I agree 100% that EQ is a MMO primarily about grouping yet other classes have the ability to solo but only pet classes are penalized. Why is this?

Druids can solo quite effectively, so why aren't they being penalized for soloing? The same argument can be make for twinks, I see them in Oasis all the time and most of them refuse to group.

Personally, I hate soloing but in P1999 many players just refuse to group, so I solo not because I want to but because out of necessity. This has the effect of making pet classes who can solo more popular.

To this day, I have still not found a valid argument from SOE (Alan VanCouvering, Rich Waters) as to why there is a pet experience penalty.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:33 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The imposition of an experience penalty on pet classes was a very stupid and misguided decision on part of the original EQ dev team. I can't think of any good reasons why they would introduce such a silly mechanic.

If there are good reasons I'd like to hear them. Pet classes are already penalized enough with the mitigation of their core abilities to balance out the power of a pet.
I started a mage on Red to farm and get the plat rolling in to twink other characters.

No other class can stay as naked as a mage and do so well so effortlessly.

My mage is nearly naked, cloth armor and a red robe for the look only. She summons her own dagger, ranged item, bags ( AMAZING BY THE WAY ), food and bandages.

She destroys seafuries at level 53. I literally sat there yesterday and killed seafuries at a constant pace. And she's naked.

Literally, all you need are spells and stones to summon a pet and you're soloing efficiently - naked.

She has farmed thousands and thousands of plat for me and is NAKED lol
Old 01-23-2017, 06:47 PM
Sarnak

I think changes like this were a (misguided) attempt in to knocking magicians/necros down a few notches, as noted by B4EQWASCOOL those classes don't have many of the same limitations that others do.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Druids can solo quite effectively, so why aren't they being penalized for soloing?
They were indeed penalized, just not effectively. The 33% penalty on damage over time spells when the target is moving but not fleeing was an attempt to penalize Druid solo power. This attempt failed because Druids simply chose to use other methods instead, much like pet classes did.

Expecting a valid response from Verant was touch and go....as far as game studios go that one seemed pretty inept. They made plenty of changes which made no sense, and class balance was never one of this game's strengths. Verant wasn't above nerfing (or buffing, hello Monks) classes simply because someone there disliked (or liked) them. The game is what it is, just take it for what it's worth.

Danth
Old 01-24-2017, 05:51 PM
Planar Protector

On monsters that don't summon there are only really two spells that are needed from 1-60. Pet summon (if not a DS pet them you need a DS spell too) and scar of sigil (or some such low mana mid damage nuke).

Make a pet, park it, move a bit away out of cast range, send pet, when the pet dies make a new pet and park it and move and pet attack and when the monster is in range it will grab it. If it is a smaller area or the mob is faster than run and you don't have velocity yet then you can bind at one side of your run path and gate when you get to the end of one path so the mob turns around to get hit by your pet a second time.

Bottom line, chain pets from the beginning if you want to do the solo thing.

Or just have a good experience and group.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:26 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bktroost [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On monsters that don't summon there are only really two spells that are needed from 1-60. Pet summon (if not a DS pet them you need a DS spell too) and scar of sigil (or some such low mana mid damage nuke).

Make a pet, park it, move a bit away out of cast range, send pet, when the pet dies make a new pet and park it and move and pet attack and when the monster is in range it will grab it. If it is a smaller area or the mob is faster than run and you don't have velocity yet then you can bind at one side of your run path and gate when you get to the end of one path so the mob turns around to get hit by your pet a second time.

Bottom line, chain pets from the beginning if you want to do the solo thing.

Or just have a good experience and group.
That explanation was very helpful. Could you explain the basics of mage role in a group setting?
Old 01-24-2017, 11:47 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auuken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Could you explain the basics of mage role in a group setting?
Keep DS up on tank (and anyone else that takes damage regularly if mana permits). Wait for tank to get some aggro, then send in your pet (make sure pet taunt is turned off). If you're using a high-level water pet (53+ ?), position it for back stabs. Earth pet can be very helpful if your tank is a warrior (since it lets them make use of the root aggro mechanics), but make sure you don't send it in while the tank is still moving the mob around.

If you find yourself with plenty of extra mana then feel free to throw in nukes when you get a chance, but your damage shield is generally going to deal more damage per mana spent.
Maamdak Battlebeard - 48 Dwarf Rogue
Crunkasaurus Rex - 49 Ogre Shaman
Mendak - 51 Halfling Druid (Green)

<Paradox> RIP
Old 01-25-2017, 09:01 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Keep DS up on tank (and anyone else that takes damage regularly if mana permits). Wait for tank to get some aggro, then send in your pet (make sure pet taunt is turned off). If you're using a high-level water pet (53+ ?), position it for back stabs. Earth pet can be very helpful if your tank is a warrior (since it lets them make use of the root aggro mechanics), but make sure you don't send it in while the tank is still moving the mob around.

If you find yourself with plenty of extra mana then feel free to throw in nukes when you get a chance, but your damage shield is generally going to deal more damage per mana spent.
Is mage fire DS the strongest? More than druid or whatever
Old 01-25-2017, 11:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auuken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is mage fire DS the strongest? More than druid or whatever
For a while. You got a threshold where, classically, fire pets DS went to 72pnts but Haynar unclasically changed the fire pet DS earlier in the time line so most of p99 history has been using an earth pet with a DS.

The DDD pet has a great DS for the level and is very good for off tanking. He cannot use weapons but has an AOE aggro spell which means he can off tank and be chain cast and quickly snap back the aggro. If you have root clickies it can be a great pet to grab up mobs in the side and keep them occupied.

When I was leveling in KC left I used to off tank 3 mobs with it and keep them rooted on my DDD pet. By the time the tank and dps finished their first mob the other 3 I was offtanking were down near 30% or so.

Secondly, when you hit 55 you should always know where the escape route is from your group. When things go down hill always send in a pet and run to the safe room and CoTH the cleric then run back in. Saving raids with a CoTH cleric makes you a hero.

But in most cases you water pet, turn off taunt and grab stun whips (damage mitigation) or life proc staves (extra dps) and DS. Making you a dps class.

Bottom line, don't be a wizard with a pet.
Last edited by bktroost; 01-25-2017 at 11:25 AM..
Old 01-25-2017, 01:01 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bktroost [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But in most cases you water pet, turn off taunt and grab stun whips (damage mitigation) or life proc staves (extra dps)
I've seen this referenced and never been able to figure out: is there a way to get these weapons back from a mage or necro pet when you're done with a session? Or do you just get extras and only use them for special occasions?
Closed Thread