Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 01:32 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselblighter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've seen this referenced and never been able to figure out: is there a way to get these weapons back from a mage or necro pet when you're done with a session? Or do you just get extras and only use them for special occasions?
I just think of them like peridots for clerics. It cost money to use your most effective spells, effectively. In this case, instead of 100 plat worth of peridots to buff the group. It's time spent farming/plat spent buying pet weapons so your pets can be more effective for the group. Because yes, when a summoned pet dies, everything on it poofs.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:37 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreenk317 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just think of them like peridots for clerics. It cost money to use your most effective spells, effectively. In this case, instead of 100 plat worth of peridots to buff the group. It's time spent farming/plat spent buying pet weapons so your pets can be more effective for the group. Because yes, when a summoned pet dies, everything on it poofs.
That makes sense, thanks. Just making sure I wasn't missing something.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselblighter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That makes sense, thanks. Just making sure I wasn't missing something.
Nope it is gone. I keep a bag of whips and a bag of staves.

Which is why it really socks when a monk trains a group. Camping out for a mage is an incredible inconvenience. I wouldn't determine my pet load out until I saw how the monks were pulling and how well we could sustain mobs.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:43 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Just skimming over this thread. I'm a little noob but my question is if you are duo'ing like, a mage/necro, if the pet damage is split do you still get the 50%-? Thanks to anyone who answers this.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:48 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakeo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just skimming over this thread. I'm a little noob but my question is if you are duo'ing like, a mage/necro, if the pet damage is split do you still get the 50%-? Thanks to anyone who answers this.
A player has to do more than any other source.

If necro pet has done 24% and the mage pet does 25% and a player does 26% or more than they did more than any other npc source. Damage shields don't count towards this. It's better to think of damage shields as removing the maximum hp down rather than dealing damage as far as calculating for xp.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:46 PM
Planar Protector

Another way to explain the DS mechanic is if there was a mob with 100 hp and your damage shield did 97 points of damage to it, you hit the mob for 2 points and your pet hit it for 1 point then you'd get full xp. If the pet hit the mob for 2 points and you hit it for 1 point then you'd get 50% xp. If your DS did 96 points, necro pet does 1, mage pet does 1 and you hit it for 2 then you'd get full xp.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:53 PM
Planar Protector

The real question for the min maxer is whether or not it's better to let the pet do all the work at a camp that gives experience and just passively play getting the 50% consistently.

For instance, in TT the are ghosts that spawn in the crypts that are solo in their own cubbies. A mid 40s mage can give an earth pet life proc weapons and let it go to town. Park it on the spawn and leave the computer next to you while you work so your not afk. The pet is fully regened by the time the next one spawns and they do run despite being undead but they never reach another mob.

There are a few areas like that across Norrath with perfect conditions. You just cannot afk completely.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:37 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The imposition of an experience penalty on pet classes was a very stupid and misguided decision on part of the original EQ dev team. I can't think of any good reasons why they would introduce such a silly mechanic.

If there are good reasons I'd like to hear them. Pet classes are already penalized enough with the mitigation of their core abilities to balance out the power of a pet.

In fact many times, due to bad pathing mechanics a pet will cause the owner to get needless aggro or aggro the group which results in player death and possible death to other group members.

Pets can't zone with their owners. Pets also die when their owners die unlike PC pets which do not die. Again, this is just more evidence how pet classes are unfairly penalized.

Getting the very best pet is a crap shoot. On various occasions it has taken my mage up to 15 mins of constant summoning to get the very best pet. That's valuable time I could be exping. Then I have to equip the pet with weapons and haste the pet. Oh and if your pet dies, you can kiss those weapons good bye. Yep, just another penalty.

Therefore the owner of the pet is already sufficiently and intrinsically penalized.

So what do pets do with this experience that they steal from their owners? Nothing at all.
The original EQ designers could have implemented some kind of temporary talent and ability system for pets to "level up" their skills but they did not.

A player should not be competing with his pet to see who can do the most damage. Pets stealing experience from their masters is just another bad "classic" EQ mechanic that is being reproduced here on P1999 that serves no real purpose but to irritate and frustrate players all in the name of authenticity.
I think they did it originally to combat asshole Cheater enchanter. Unintended consequence of fucking mages... but that's really a guess
Closed Thread