Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 10:55 PM
Skeleton

Default Playing without knowledge?

Hey, guys. I just finished playing through a vanilla WoW server, and decided to go back to EverQuest. I have a level ~24 Barbarian Shaman, but my main issue with playing is that I simply don't know what to do.

I'm logged at Unrest, I want to eventually do end-game, but I feel like as a new player, I won't have the knowledge that other people have.

I want to get good at this game, should I just focus on playing or?

Never played EverQuest before this, loving it so far!
Old 03-11-2016, 11:21 PM
Fire Giant

don't know how to play our class or just don't know how to progress?
Old 03-12-2016, 12:13 AM
Planar Protector

I'm very jealous of your ignorance of the game. Wish i could go through it for the first time again.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 03-12-2016, 05:46 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Similar situation here, I've never played EQ and am still thinking about starting, but I worry that I might have no clue what to do. I've always been really terrible at trying to talk to other players or join/form groups too... well, unless maybe it's Eve Online, but even there it was hard to start up.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:06 PM
Aviak

Yeah, honestly, enjoy this phase. I'm already missing my original newness and I'm only familiar with a few starter zones!
Old 03-13-2016, 03:25 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I've been playing heavily for about 6 months now. One thing i learned is that i don't need every toon to "see it all" or "do it all" Each toon will give you different goals, styles, and zones to explore! Enjoy each toon uniquely =]

If you want, just peek on wiki when ya really feel ya need to. Ask other players about things you are curious about. The community in general has been very helpful and patient with me =] Thanks 99!

On the P99 wiki there are a plethora of guides and i just like to read thru and pick out what seems interesting to me. I'm currently on a Druid level 21 and taking a nice tour set up by Mefdinkins =] Also like people said, enjoy this stage! I love how every zone is still a mystery to me. Also grouping is very fun and a good way to get tips on how to efficiently play whatever class!

That being said i might as well advertise that my new guild <World Chat> is accepting any and all who want to join!! The goal is to set up a fun social chat channel for just BSing, grouping, or just getting advice. Unlimited messaging and no monthly fees lol
=P

/tell Dippo if ya wanna join. The More The Merrier =]

GL, Tazzak and have fun!
Old 03-13-2016, 04:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey, guys. I just finished playing through a vanilla WoW server, and decided to go back to EverQuest. I have a level ~24 Barbarian Shaman, but my main issue with playing is that I simply don't know what to do.

I'm logged at Unrest, I want to eventually do end-game, but I feel like as a new player, I won't have the knowledge that other people have.

I want to get good at this game, should I just focus on playing or?
Go to mistmoore, group! group group group! go to SOlB next, group! try some duos!Go to CoM finnish epic faction and quest, try some solo's! Go to KC next, group, duo & solos! Go to Sebilis, Group & Duo!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-13-2016, 06:16 PM
Kobold

For me, there's no better way to get a feel for a game than playing different characters. If you want to start small, take your one healer, try an Int caster, a tank, and a melee of some kind. Personally, I don't think it's complete until you try one of everything and get them into the 20s at least (where class abilities and differences really start to become apparent) but a little cross training will likely teach you a lot. Level in different spots and see what kinds of things you really enjoy. Failing that, it's research online and talking to people. Don't level too long in one place or with the same kinds of situations. Mixing it up is more fun and better to understand the ins and outs of the game.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:29 AM
Kobold

This game is so inaccessible that you really cannot progress without spending hours reading online about zones and the class you're playing. You definitely won't be able to solo anything without game knowledge and you'll just be a burden to every group you join.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:29 AM
Kobold

Welcome to p99/Everquest!

I wouldn't say the game is inaccessible - so much as it doesn't hold your hand or guide you. I do recommend some reading though. Really, it comes down to what your definition of fun long term is - are you about discovery or do you like to have a game plan?

Most of the game is, at this point, pretty thoroughly documented between the forums, wiki, and other sites, and the community can be pretty good with new players so you could always do some reading on wherever you'd like to hunt, your class, and whatever suits your fancy. Alternatively, discovery is part of the magic. At least, I think a lot of people here would agree. It's also part of the headache. I think a lot of people would agree on that too.

Really, that's where your choice starts beyond just playing.
Closed Thread