Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 08:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortior [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rules you don't like: rules giving melees good odds as well.

Rules you do like: rules which allow any caster anywhere to take a mob a melee player wants without any recourse.

I get it, you want to have an easier time on the new server, but you should really just get good instead of hiding your real intentions behind another twenty-line forum post about how the PnP should be nixed
This is incredibly stupid. Take your entirely wrong assumptions and straw-man arguments elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortior [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Green is going to recreate the classic video game.
The classic video game is exactly as I have been describing. You just don't understand what EQ was, or don't want to listen to the facts.

Quote:
The classic experience will never be recreated, unless you want to put everyone on dial-up again, blind casters while medding, remove wikis, etc.
That wouldn't recreate the classic experience, since we already have the zone/mechanics knowledge, and things like casters needing to look at the spellbook is in fact "the classic video game". Nor can wikis be controlled by a developer; they are inherent to the internet now.

Something close to (or better than...) the classic experience can be recreated, but it won't happen using the exact classic game code. Regardless, if creating the classic code accurately is what p99 is purporting to do, then that's what they should do. This includes the PnP (or lack thereof), as it is literally a game code set forth by the original designers, as in any D&D game.

However, there have been modifications on p99 that strive to make it closer to the classic experience, rather than the exact game code at the time. Some things will always be a battle between "how the game actually played decades ago" vs "how the game code works with modern technology and player knowledge". With more than 1 type of server, the devs don't need to limit themselves to one specific thing in the first place. There are options, and we don't yet know the exact Green server specifics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
CSR classic since beta.
...and your point is? That only solidifies exactly what I've said. People were banned only for exploits or hate speech before the PnP. Also where are you pulling that from?
Last edited by Zuranthium; 08-03-2019 at 09:04 PM..
Old 08-03-2019, 09:11 PM
Planar Protector

revisions.txt from the eq folder.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:12 PM
Fire Giant

The PnP was implemented when it was needed on live. A version of it has been implemented on p99 'earlier' (with regards to the timeline at least), since p99 isn't played by a MMO-naive population and needed it at an earlier time.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:19 PM
Orc

Sorry to get more off topic. If I could just put in my two cents. I think luclin made me think EQ was forever unchangeable. But things have to change over time one day. Maybe EQ just has had more changes for the worst than for the better. But as long as the game is 92 percent classic, im happy /shrugs.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
The PnP was implemented when it was needed on live.
It was implemented when it was implemented. People were "KSing" since the start. The company made a decision that they felt would suit their financial interests, the same as new features put in for any of the expansions.

The game was originally meant to have players competing, if opposing parties wanted to fight for the same content. That's how it worked in MUDs, and EQ was based off MUDS, which the designers were avid players of. It's what is slated to be in Pantheon.

There are two main reasons for why the PnP came to be:

1. Server overcrowding: there were way too many players on most of the servers as the game's lifespan grew, and the company failed to implement new servers and control server populations well enough.

2. Newage players entering into the game: as the game went on, it became less and less of an RPG, and new players just wanted to level as fast as possible in order to catch up with their higher level friends, or to "beat the game". Lots of influx of players who weren't there for an open world MUD-type experience, and instead came from a console type gaming expectation.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:11 PM
Fire Giant

You're assuming release-day EQ was the finished product as envisioned by the devs. The incomplete quests and random useless quest items show the opposite.

It's not a competition if the only way to fight is to deliver damage to a bag of monster HP. That's like making two pro boxers slug it out against the same sandbag inside the ring.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
You're assuming release-day EQ was the finished product as envisioned by the devs. The incomplete quests and random useless quest items show the opposite.
No that isn't what I'm assuming. What does certain things being incomplete in the game have to do with the fact that the devs intended for people to be able to fight over NPC's? Moreover, what does it have to do with the fact that it was allowed for a long time in classic, when we are talking about what the classic code was? Here also is a quote on their stance:

"Someone coming into your camp and killing your mobs is not griefing or malicious. You might not like it, but it's not against any rule. If they stay there and you compete with them for 5 hours and lose all mobs, that's still not griefing or malicious."

Quote:
It's not a competition if the only way to fight is to deliver damage to a bag of monster HP.
I think you need to learn the definition of competition. It may not be the most complex or skillful form, but it's certainly better than the alternative of "whoever pings a target first" or no competition at all. This is PvE, in a game 20 years old. You keep trying to talk about damage dealt not being competition, while offering no better alternative, and acting like the worse options are a better form of competition. It seems like you just want to sit in front of a spawn all day long and be able to mindlessly farm pixels.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:02 AM
Planar Protector

I've found the date of when the Play Nice Policy was implemented - March 14, 2000. So for an entire year it wasn't in the game. This particular clause is especially important:

Quote:
Contested Spawns
There are cases where two or more groups wish to kill the same thing. In these cases, the groups are required to compromise.
The PnP on p99 is no way classic. Never, ever, ever in the game was it meant for someone to be able to sit at a camp non-stop and own it, if there were other players there who wanted to contest.

Page 26 -- https://www.scribd.com/doc/53542242/...fficial-eGuide
Old 08-04-2019, 04:06 AM
Planar Protector

Im gunna play another enchanter but i think im gunna go dark elf this time
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 08-04-2019, 05:05 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've found the date of when the Play Nice Policy was implemented - March 14, 2000. So for an entire year it wasn't in the game. This particular clause is especially important
Okay, I don't like it, but after reading up on that quote as well as the PnP with the links you posted, I gotta say you're right. This particular version and timeline of the PnP is more classic. I think the team will go for some kind of PnP from the start though, just to get rid of all the petition spam.
Closed Thread