Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 01-16-2018, 11:41 PM
Planar Protector

Default P99 should not allow more than 2 containers open at once

Don't hate the messenger, but I saw this during ClassicQuest and I must have even blocked this pain out of my memory from Live.

I tried to do forum searches to see if this had been covered before, but I couldn't find anything. I'm not sure if this is a client issue preventing this feature, and oversight during implementation, or if there is just no interest in implementing it due to mass rebellion. It is undoubtedly Classic though. I'll try the official bug format report for this one.

Description:
Apparently, for the entire life of our server, you can't have more than 2 bags/containers open at once.

Relevant PCs:
Everyone

Relevant LOCs:
Everywhere

Steps to reproduce bug:
  1. Try and open 3 containers and leave them all open
  2. All 3 containers are open at the same time

Expected behavior:
Only 2 containers should open. You need to close a container to open a new one.

Evidence/Research:
EQ Dev comments evidence (11/30/2000):
https://web.archive.org/web/20011027...ve/arc43.shtml
Quote:
Only Two Bags Open at a Time

Yes, there is a reason. It's some sort of complicated coding reason…

Unfortunately, as much as we also think it would be a great thing to be able to open more than two bags at a time, it won't happen any time soon, if ever.
12/19/2000:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010822...ve/arc32.shtml
Quote:
Having Three Bags Open at Once

Unfortunately, and oddly enough, it's not likely that we'll be able to make it so that you can open more than two bags. Rowyl already answered this, and essentially it's a programming nightmare. Obviously anything can be done with enough work, but this one isn't likely to happen. With the time required to change it, Rowyl could probably raise the Titanic… [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Confirmation this was happening in early era (12/10/1999):
Wish List
Quote:
Organizable bags in the bank.
Can have more than 2 bags or boxes open at one time.
Confirmation this was still happening out of era (4/13/2002):
2 Bags!?

Quote:
I've been thinking alot about this lately... (i know its stupid) but, why is it the interface only allows you to have 2 bags opened at the same time? Why is there such a limit on this? I couldn't come up with any real good reason for a "nerf" on such a thing. Anyone?
Quote:
It's just to drive me crazy when I'm fletching and need to put my new arrows
in my quiver. Seriously, I don't think it makes much sense either.
(Note it mentions tradeskill container and a quiver, so not limited to just 'bags')

Default position should open all bags on top of one another:
Quote:
It does make for a lot more clicking. It would also be great if the open
bags did not stack, but would be side by side. OK- then to make it really
great I would like to be able to drag stuff instead of clicking.
Confirmation bags should have a 'memory' in each position, if you drag it somewhere and close it, it will reopen in same spot next time (I do not know if this was saved in your .ini somewhere or if you had to redo this every time you logged in):
Quote:
You do know that you can arrange the open bag windows as you wish...
It is not visible, but you can click in the upper left corner and then move the open bag window around , and the new position is remembered next time you open that bag - fletching kit.... etc... :-))
Relevant screenshots:
N/A
Old 01-17-2018, 01:48 PM
Planar Protector

Follow-up on bag positioning, apparently it never 'remembered' it's position prior to 4/17/2001, after this patch it would remember it's position even after logging out. Further details on how it should function below:
http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20010417b.html

Quote:
Bag Positioning: Now bags will stay where you put them. Simply open a bag and move it to where you want it. The bag will remember it's location and open up there again next time. This will be persistent and will be remembered when you log out.

There are two things to know about this new feature. The first is that the default position of every bag is going to be the same. So if you open one bag and then another, their windows will stack on top of each other. Don't let this alarm you, the first bag window didn't close. Just move the top bag to the desired location and you'll see the bottom one.

The other thing to know is a bit more complicated.

The saved locations for opening bags are linked to the bank or inventory slot that the bag is in, not to the bag itself. So if you open a bag that is sitting in your first inventory slot and move the bag window to a new location, it is the inventory slot that remembers the position and any bag opened from that inventory slot will open in the saved position. Take that bag from the first slot and move it to the second inventory slot and it will open in the location set for the second inventory slot. It will not remember where it was opened before.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:56 PM
Planar Protector

Be sure to leave this "fix" off the PvP server.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:29 AM
Planar Protector

*click, click* Searches through his 2 bags for desired item
*click, click* Closes his 2 bags
*click, click* Searches through his 2 bags for desired item
*click, click* Closes his 2 bags

Friendly bump for classic immersion.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:10 AM
Planar Protector

I played 2000-2002 and have no recollection whatsoever of this "feature". Not saying it wasn't there, 18 years is 18 years.

We need classic blindness though!
Old 04-14-2018, 03:03 AM
Sarnak

I would consider coming back to play if this was implemented. This was honestly the only thing holding me back from reinstalling.
Tried to get immersed in Velious but quickly got burnt out by there being no challenge, the intensive raid schedule and pressure to be 100% or close to it with RA. In Nihilum, having 70% RA + meant you were a neckbeard, in Empire, 70% was the equivalent of being inactive status.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played 2000-2002 and have no recollection whatsoever of this "feature". Not saying it wasn't there, 18 years is 18 years.

We need classic blindness though!
I think most people must have gotten so used to it that it became invisible, just a way of life. I didn't even remember it until i came across the post.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think most people must have gotten so used to it that it became invisible, just a way of life. I didn't even remember it until i came across the post.
I wish sites like Everlore or eq.castersrealm.com were still on. How can someone just unplug / delete these pearls of EQ and gaming history? We could get so much information from the screenshots / articles on those sites.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:06 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I remember this well... as a tradeskiller I was ecstatic when they made the change to bags.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:55 AM
Planar Protector

Approved.