Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 12:03 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just wish they would remove the ability to recharge items. MQing is more debatable as it was somewhat known on Live but the majority of people playing never MQ'd...but recharging items makes for a less classic playing experience.
Completely agree. MQ'ing/PL'ing is sketchy from an 'intended play' viewpoint but ultimately I'd say allow it, plus PL'ing isn't something you can't easily restrict. Though I do wish epic MQs were disabled to avoid sellers. Recharging items that aren't meant to be recharged defies the entire point of the system and makes for some egregiously broken items. It may be classic, but it feels very unclassic and obviously unintended. I was just a stupid kid, I remember most people being bad at the game. How many people were really recharging items in classic? Enough to make it 'feel' classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreldorEQ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Great patch, keep striving for the best classic experience!

The last 23 pages confirm what I've been saying for the last months of Green speculation - most of you won't play green because it will be too hard.
Some people won't, but check the classic WoW reddit and you'll see boatloads of people claiming classic WoW is difficult and social. WoW isn't difficult. It's sure as shit not social. If anything it was the death of social games. These people switched from retail WoW to classic WoW and loved it for being difficult and social - even if they are wrong and have no perspective, memory or common sense. To them, that's their truth. Classic EQ will be more of both, and some will whine about it, but ultimately it's not that hard. There won't be warriors soloing in Lguk at 25, sure, but it's not like leveling most casters will be any different than now, just with more downtime.

These people complaining about hotbars are the reason they make things classic - or as classic intended to be. They're whining because they had a toy they shouldn't have and got used to it. Now they demand non-classic, after coming to a classic server to play. They don't actually need it, just like people playing on live didn't back when everyone sucked at games. It's not like they'll avoid Green because of it though. They're just going to QQ for a while and then get over it.

If you all are complaining about that you don't even want to know how people have to play FFXI. I had 80 hotbuttons across 6 different pages on my Red Mage when I was still 25 levels from cap with underleveled subjobs, and 10 of those were gear-swap macros or conjunction swap/cast macros. I'd have probably needed to make another 20 by the time I leveled Ninja to 37. Oh yeah, and one character could be every class which means hotbutton pages for every job/subjob combo on one character, which you had to manually make for each macro. Also, that game was made for Playstation and had a UI that was MUCH MUCH MUCH worse than this one. Virtually everything needed to be done with the m̶o̶u̶s̶e̶ keyboard. Even figuring out how to open the menu was a task. Num minus btw. Yet still we managed to chainpull and do raids.
Last edited by Keza; 09-09-2019 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: I don't know the difference between computer peripherals
Old 09-09-2019, 12:16 PM
Planar Protector

I used a playstation controller for the majority of my FFXI play. Some KB work and I knew lots who used the "compact keyboard" set up effectively. Much of the biggest hurdle for people was not simply accepting that this was a PC console port and not conducive to WASD and mouse for controlling it.

I played back at the original NA launch for year between EQ and WoW though, not sure how things are on FFXI emu servers. But the UI was definitely a chore and a dealbreaker for so many EQ players.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashking [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
@Rogean
I'm okay on the idea of classic intention and the community as a whole, but this bomb shell of UI change up without any warning to allow us to move hotkeys off hotbars that were going to be removed I consider a cluster. While waiting for servers to come back up I noticed a server named: Rogeans Test Server -- might have wanted to have folks check out changes and provide a bit of feedback before dropping such a UI bombshell on what we have all become accustom as the normal. I understand this is what is begin set forth in preparation to GREEN but feel this wasn't the right time / place to go forth with it.
How much advanced notice do you need to move your hotkeys around? LOL get real. Can't wait until they drop classic UI on you all and ditch item linking! Gonna be some tears.
Last edited by Old_PVP; 09-09-2019 at 12:19 PM..
Old 09-09-2019, 12:30 PM
Aviak

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-09-2019, 12:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Completely agree. MQ'ing/PL'ing is sketchy from an 'intended play' viewpoint but ultimately I'd say allow it, plus PL'ing isn't something you can't easily restrict. Though I do wish epic MQs were disabled to avoid sellers. Recharging items that aren't meant to be recharged defies the entire point of the system and makes for some egregiously broken items. It may be classic, but it feels very unclassic and obviously unintended. I was just a stupid kid, I remember most people being bad at the game. How many people were really recharging items in classic? Enough to make it 'feel' classic?
Extremely few. For a short time I was part of a guild who woke the Sleeper on live. Main tank transitioning was not easy for them with fights like AoW because they didn't burn 5 mallets a fight.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Rogean: [Dec2001] Velious UI will be enforced prior to this Era.

Rogean: Universally disabled numerous non-classic UI Windows
Oh lordy pras
Old 09-09-2019, 01:16 PM
Aviak

Feign death no longer poofs NPC pets if their owner is dead and the Shai`diin Revenant Bauble is now SK/NEC useable again from being NEC only. Soooo what other things are different that failed to get mentioned in the patch notes?
Old 09-09-2019, 02:32 PM
Fire Giant

I wanted to make fun of the whiners, but then I remembered whining myself about the compass...

However, I think you'd all cry less tears if you approached this game differently than, "OMG dragons are up and my UI is sub-optimal! How will I ever bag all the pixels generated this week? Aughh!"

Sit one out once in a while...
Old 09-09-2019, 02:41 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Feign death no longer poofs NPC pets if their owner is dead
Oh dang...that was always so fun to do.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:45 PM
Kobold

This is far more obnoxious than just having character-specific keybinds, but what about:

Multiple eqclient.ini files, named something like eqclient1.ini, eqclient2.ini, etc. Then start EQ with a batch file named for the character you're hoping to play. It then deletes eqclient.ini and copies eqclient1.ini to eqclient.ini.

Tedious, but would work, yeah?
Closed Thread