Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Old 08-26-2021, 09:31 PM
Banned

makes me wonder if people on the forums even play on p99
Old 08-26-2021, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So now it isn't balance issues, it is communication? And by them making a new server, that helps communication how?

What don't you get? You guys trolled the creator of the server. He said screw your new server.

So once again, why are you still here?
Lol what i wanted to say is im replying to Disease but for the sake of others. Guy cant even be bothered to keep track of who says what.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
makes me wonder if people on the forums even play on p99
its like half and half.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 08-27-2021, 01:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradesonred [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They do radical changes that fuck up the server without brainstorming anything and then dont touch it for months and months, even if its instantly obvious it was a bad idea. Gustoo mentioned OOC, im going to mention yellow text:

you dont broadcast the location of some poor ungeared newb getting shit on by a griefer to the whole fucking server, so other griefers get attracted to that like flies on shit.
Global OOC is great on a sub-500 population server. Makes things feel more alive and it's accurate to the MUD roots of the game.

I never saw much griefing of noobs happening, and there was a whole "starter guild" on the server anyway for those people to band together. Yellow text made kills more exciting to me and I think that aspect can add extra tension to the gameplay, because if you are trying to secretly camp an area and get killed, then now you've given away your zone. The combination of global yellow text and OOC actually lets the server call out the griefers, it doesn't promote more of it on the whole. It's not as if griefers need the yellow text info anyway, to know where the most populated leveling spots will usually be to hunt fresh meat.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:27 AM
Planar Protector

I always argued that yellow text and leaderboards (that are a product of yellow text) were a bad for the server. And not classic

Also don't think item loot or anything else that makes pvp defeat more demoralizing helps
Old 08-27-2021, 12:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Global OOC is great on a sub-500 population server. Makes things feel more alive and it's accurate to the MUD roots of the game.

I never saw much griefing of noobs happening, and there was a whole "starter guild" on the server anyway for those people to band together. Yellow text made kills more exciting to me and I think that aspect can add extra tension to the gameplay, because if you are trying to secretly camp an area and get killed, then now you've given away your zone. The combination of global yellow text and OOC actually lets the server call out the griefers, it doesn't promote more of it on the whole. It's not as if griefers need the yellow text info anyway, to know where the most populated leveling spots will usually be to hunt fresh meat.
Did you start playing red 99 in 2019 or something? Baseless post.

I can assure you than zero people saw a PVP death and thought "Ahh, that scum bag "Raypzem" is in WK right now killing honest levelers. I better go there and fight him! I've been looking for that guy! What a silly post.

1. Global OOC not classic, instant disqualification from belonging on server
2. YT not classic, instant disqualification from belonging on server
3. Global OOC makes whole server feel like red msgboard
4. YT makes people afraid to die because of global public shaming.
5. Global OOC without YT makes people afraid to die because of global public shaming (guy will do his own /OOC LOL KILLED THIS GUY HAHAHAHHAA in lieu of YT

These things didn't ruin the server but they made it worse.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did you start playing red 99 in 2019 or something? Baseless post.

I can assure you than zero people saw a PVP death and thought "Ahh, that scum bag "Raypzem" is in WK right now killing honest levelers. I better go there and fight him! I've been looking for that guy! What a silly post.
Right lol i dont know what these people are smoking. Its more like oh thats the guy i killed over and over yesterday. Hes online again, lets log on the fungi rogue for round 2.
Old 08-27-2021, 07:27 PM
Sarnak

checking in
Old 08-28-2021, 05:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I can assure you than zero people saw a PVP death and thought "Ahh, that scum bag "Raypzem" is in WK right now killing honest levelers. I better go there and fight him!
You're wrong. I saw people go help thwart twinked-out lamers after being alerted to it. For me personally, the global messages were definitely important. If I didn't know something was happening elsewhere, then often I wouldn't have spent the time to participate, because just running around aimlessly looking for PvP can be wasteful. The time efficiency of knowing where to go makes the PvP a lot more accessible.

Quote:
4. YT makes people afraid to die because of global public shaming.
5. Global OOC without YT makes people afraid to die because of global public shaming (guy will do his own /OOC LOL KILLED THIS GUY HAHAHAHHAA in lieu of YT
I can see this a bit, but I think most people who are afraid to die because of YT are already the people who were afraid to die regardless. In general, the drawback of being killed (losing time/money) is already bigger than the yellowtext "shame", which mainly only happened in guild rivalries. The less competitive people on the server weren't getting called out when they got killed. In the other cases, the "shaming" would usually happen anyway, in the form of screenshots being taken and written about on the forum.

The other end definitely outweighs it to me - the recognition can make people want to participate in PvP more. If there isn't that extra incentive to do PvP just for the sake of it, then how many will stick to only farming PvE?

Saying "it's not classic" is worthless to me, because a low-population server where people know much more info than they used to, and having extra YEARS to farm and level up characters as compared to actual classic EQ, completely changes everything.
Old 08-28-2021, 02:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're wrong. I saw people go help thwart twinked-out lamers after being alerted to it. For me personally, the global messages were definitely important. If I didn't know something was happening elsewhere, then often I wouldn't have spent the time to participate, because just running around aimlessly looking for PvP can be wasteful. The time efficiency of knowing where to go makes the PvP a lot more accessible
So the mechanic that helped empty the server is now useful since red its a ghost town. I dont think that argument is helping the case youre trying to build.

There are many ways to put in mechanics that foster pvp, whove been suggested over and over (by me) through the years that doesnt involve helping twinks grief people off the server. One of them is events like the ones on live in halloween 2001 where event mobs spawn in different zones. Its harder to code than yellow text im sure, but if we cant have that, no yellow text is better. XP hotzones is another, where as a newb you can prefer a quiet zone away from the dangers of a hotzone. Having a classic Rallos ruleset to re-create the crushbone pvp hub. These are just things off the top of my head. This is why you brainstorm mechanics with the community.