Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 09:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piemur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ah, the best advice anyone has ever given to someone with an addiction "Just don't do it, duh ez".

This shows a deep lack on understanding what addiction actually is.

Thank you for your useful and constructive reply that you clearly put a lot of thought and consideration into [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've confiscated enough drugs and poured out enough liquor bottles in the course of helping others to see what addiction is and does. I don't believe in "video game addiction" for an instant. However it doesn't particularly matter whether or not I believe in it; the recommended action is a good one in either case. Even if it were an addiction, going "cold turkey" is a valid method of dealing with numerous addictions such as cigarettes or alcohol. You don't get off booze by staying drunk. My experience watching folks who have actual addictions is that a lot of folks can't beat it--be it booze, cigarettes, drugs, whatever. A lot of folks, once something gets its hooks in them, it seems like it's always lingering there, always waiting to make itself known again. Only way to deal with it for such folks seems to be to stay away entirely and avoid that temptation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graahle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm with you on the sociopathic psychos that populate the raid guilds, but idk if I would have the fortitude to put up with doing something for 22 years and still falling short (using this phrase lightly) of a pretty monumental accomplishment for this era of the game.
It's only "falling short" if you're trying for that end. Otherwise it's so much irrelevant fluff. There are plenty of things in life I've never done that I could do if I wanted to.

Danth
Old 08-21-2021, 09:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My friend who was in an uber guild on Povar *somehow* got a bunch of his guild mates and people from like two other guilds to come down and kill this mob so I could finish my epic. I was just some scrub with no money and they just came together and did it. There's absolutely no way in hell that would ever happen here, and I don't see how you can possibly emulate that.
I have to politely disagree that "it can't happen here" for the simple reason that this is a fairly close description of how I completed my own (and only) epic here on P1999: Beyond the little guild I was in myself, a lot of friends, bringing their friends, from a lot of different guilds all came out to give a hand. It does happen, if not so often as we'd all like.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:21 AM
Sarnak

So your brain creates pathways which allow you to efficiently access portions that are often in use. If you’ve set these to EQ and connect to things that have strong emotional (loyalty to a guild or group of friends) or physiological impacts (endorphins for progress/upgrades) your brain will constantly pull you back.

If you want to reduce eq but not lose it you need to retrain your brain. This can be done by quitting cold turkey but it sounds like you don’t want that. Plan specific play sessions and stick to that and resetting your brain synapsis could help with your challenges.

You need to stop stimuli which drag you in. Turn off your discord notifications, and don’t go in and read messages. Stop visiting the forum/wiki. Don’t watch EQ videos on YouTube or elseware.

Anytime your feel yourself going down the EQ draw, tell yourself no and redirect. Remember you have a session planned and EQ can be your full focus then. Identify what triggered you craving for EQ and avoid that in the future.

It’s not easy and lord know we all struggle but if you apply some or all of this you can get it back on track. I’d also recommend setting a RL goal line xx time per day playing an instrument or working out. The accomplishment and pride of your progress will help to soften the feelings of missing out (FOMO) of EQ.

Good luck brother. You got this!
Old 11-03-2021, 04:01 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I used to play EQ from the first week of release until 2004. Then I forced myself to quit, because my real life was gone. This "Evercrack" addiction thing is true, very true. Part of it was that guilds relied on attendance. You had to be online or you got kicked. Nowadays I play WoW on a freeshard where I can log in and out whenever I want. Too scared to come back to EQ. If you want to make the transition back to living a somewhat a normal life, play MMOs with instancing like WoW where you can join PuG-raids whenever you want, not when you have to. Regaining control over your own playtime is key.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:09 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neric [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I used to play EQ from the first week of release until 2004.
And yet you still get recognized for your EQ character!
Old 11-12-2021, 11:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewallx39 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So your brain creates pathways which allow you to efficiently access portions that are often in use. If you’ve set these to EQ and connect to things that have strong emotional (loyalty to a guild or group of friends) or physiological impacts (endorphins for progress/upgrades) your brain will constantly pull you back.

If you want to reduce eq but not lose it you need to retrain your brain. This can be done by quitting cold turkey but it sounds like you don’t want that. Plan specific play sessions and stick to that and resetting your brain synapsis could help with your challenges.

You need to stop stimuli which drag you in. Turn off your discord notifications, and don’t go in and read messages. Stop visiting the forum/wiki. Don’t watch EQ videos on YouTube or elseware.

Anytime your feel yourself going down the EQ draw, tell yourself no and redirect. Remember you have a session planned and EQ can be your full focus then. Identify what triggered you craving for EQ and avoid that in the future.

It’s not easy and lord know we all struggle but if you apply some or all of this you can get it back on track. I’d also recommend setting a RL goal line xx time per day playing an instrument or working out. The accomplishment and pride of your progress will help to soften the feelings of missing out (FOMO) of EQ.

Good luck brother. You got this!
Actual real good advice here btw.

Doing other cool things helps too. It's a lot easier to kick an addiction if you have some good hobbies that don't reinforce it.
Old 11-13-2021, 03:07 PM
Planar Protector

I wish I had that desire to play games like that nowadays. Remember laying in bed playing p99 from dusk til dawn. Good times
Old 11-13-2021, 05:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wish I had that desire to play games like that nowadays. Remember laying in bed playing p99 from dusk til dawn. Good times
I don’t have the stamina to play more than an hour or two these days.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:16 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauvian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you think you need a break just go pick pocket Elder Holgresh Beads.
Funniest damn thing I read in years.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:17 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don’t have the stamina to play more than an hour or two these days.
kill the wife, you can play longer
Closed Thread