Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 12:03 PM
Aviak

Default What small changes would you make to the unpopular classes?

The other night I used /who to generate a graph of class popularity, which showed that the least popular classes are: Wizard, Ranger, Paladin, SK, Rogue, and Warrior (in order of least played). This got me thinking of what small changes could be made to these classes that might make them as popular as the other classes (which were Druid, Enchanter, Shaman, Bard, Magician, Monk, Cleric in order of most played).

So here's the challenge. Take those bottom 6 classes and tweak them as little as possible to solve their pain points and bring them in line.

By the way, this is not in any way a plea to actually make any changes to P99. I acknowledge and respect the goals of this server, which means having the classes be this way, even if it means they will never be as popular. This is just for fun and to inspire some discussion about some of the less popular classes.

Here are my thoughts:

Wizard

Controversial change but I'd move the mana regen line of spells from Enchanter to Wizard, giving them a popular group buff. Enchanters would still be extremely good with mez, the best haste, and of course their superior charming ability.

Ranger

Refocus the class into a sustained ranged DPS role by moving the double damage to unrooted, unmoving targets special ability they get at 51 to level 1. Then rebalance bows so they don't do half the weapon damage that other weapons do. Would probably need to adjust some of the higher damaging bows as a result.

Finally, make it so each time an arrow hits a mob it's added to its loot table, allowing Rangers to recover some of their arrows.

Paladin

Make Paladins the truly sword and board defensive class. Allow their shield bashes to stun for more length than the other bashing classes and give them the Block ability as long as they are wearing a shield.

Shadow Knight

Shadow knights feel like they are in a good place, I'm not sure why they are so unpopular. Possibly because their epic is so difficult?

One change that comes to mind as a fun change is making them the kings of procs. They already have some self buffed proc effects, make them more powerful and trigger twice as often. It would be neat if SKs were more of a self reliant tank that only needed light healing due to their self heals.

Rogue

Make poisons stronger and cheaper! Poison should be a primary ability of rogues, not just an expensive distraction that isn't useful in normal group combat. This would give them some fun utility and combat considerations for each fight.

Warrior

I haven't played warrior much so I can't comment too deeply, they seem to be popular enough, especially at the high end. One idea I had was to give Warriors a short duration sprint ability. This would be really useful on a class that otherwise lacks any sort of utility. They would be good pullers indoors and it would let them stay ahead of mobs at low levels. In a lot of ways I feel like the Monk treads on Warrior's shoes so it's hard to think of changes that don't just make the Warrior more into a Monk (self only heal, for example).
Old 11-21-2017, 12:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bard

Remove 25 mob cap on PBAE songs.
Someone is bitter that they can't ruin the fun for every other player in the zone ...

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:19 PM
Planar Protector

Wizard = spell criticals, nuff said.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:25 PM
Banned

make necro dots stacks (or all dots for that matter)

make enchanter charm HUMANOID ONLY (no undead/animals)

remove level caps on Bard mez/charm

give wizards Clarity line of spells

give Pally/SK defensive disciple so they can tank like a warrior

increase warrior damage on the lower end, top end they are basically monks already

rogues are fine

rework bow damage for Rangers and maybe some lower level ports

do this and all of a sudden P99 is incredibly well balanced and every class is welcomed
Last edited by Spyder73; 11-21-2017 at 12:31 PM..
Old 11-21-2017, 12:26 PM
Fire Giant

Give bards their long duration charm back. We had it in classic, but was removed because "not classic". Would add a whole new layer to the class.

I'm indifferent about the AE kiting personally. Think it was an unnecessary change, but I also think circle kiting is about as entertaining as watching grass grow.

Making harmony usable in indoor zones would be stupidly OP, but it would ungimp druid and rangers.

Some of the AAs did a lot to define classes too. Fading memories, shroud of stealth, and mana burn weren't too OP, but added a lot to those classes.

But really, the long duration charm for bards is #1. Plus, I think it is only fair since they took away kiting. A little give and take devs.. come on!
Old 11-21-2017, 12:35 PM
Banned

I think charming would be much better if...

Druid = Animals

Necro = Undead

Enchanter = humanoids

Bards = can charm anything but short duration

Goes with the flavor of jack of all trades, master of none
Old 11-21-2017, 12:39 PM
Fire Giant

AA's with custom content that fits Velious, Kunark, and orginal EQ. Nothing past level 60.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:43 PM
Orc

i appreciate the idea of p99 and that we are going for a classic experience but what are the odds p99 might ever get some upgrades and fixes like this? i think it would be great minimal change for alot of value.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyricTheMad420 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i appreciate the idea of p99 and that we are going for a classic experience but what are the odds p99 might ever get some upgrades and fixes like this? i think it would be great minimal change for alot of value.
There is no way possible this will happen unless they open a new server that is "classic reimagined" and is classic EQ the way it "should have been". Blue is, and I imagine will always be, a museum/civil war reenactment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LoydXmas.jpg (31.5 KB, 871 views)
Old 11-21-2017, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bard

Remove 25 mob cap on PBAE songs.
Agree - same goes for pbae wiz nukes - add crit to Wiz too. Clarity spell line dont fit into the wizard hat.

Nerf monks and other melee classes will get more luv ;p
Closed Thread