Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 08:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
WTF this better not be true. This was never done in original EQ unless they had evidence the accunt was hacked. From literally stacking the deck so only multi-users on one account can get legacy items to removeing all the supposed danger of having someone use your account if this is true, it appears p99 is going out of its was to be as unclassic as possible.
i have bad news about the correlation between theory and praxis re: the rules

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Speaking with a bit of experience, they definitely don't always help the victims.

(I wasn't the victim. Don't share your account info with me, although nowadays I probably wouldn't even accept it anyways!)
ha
Old 01-07-2020, 08:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i have bad news about the correlation between theory and praxis re: the rules
I have a theory about it raining and being pissed on.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:46 AM
Sarnak

Honestly screen sharing apps make enforcement of account sharing impossible for anyone who cares. Your /list account in the manastone camp doesn't even have to log off to trade hands and no account info needs to be shared.

I think shared accounts for guild accounts isn't bad because it can help smaller guilds compete by ensuring they always have a good composition even when they have the bare minimum numbers. The problem is when the entire manastone /list is all shared accounts being used to block out others from getting onto the list by making it untenably long, or when shared accounts monopolize other content.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly screen sharing apps make enforcement of account sharing impossible for anyone who cares. Your /list account in the manastone camp doesn't even have to log off to trade hands and no account info needs to be shared.
yeah is simply not enforceable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think shared accounts for guild accounts isn't bad because it can help smaller guilds compete by ensuring they always have a good composition even when they have the bare minimum numbers.
lmaoo tho, this is absolutely not how it works. here's how it actually works: the biggest and most powerful guilds, who have the most manpower and most purchasing power for their DKP, will print from thin air some of that DKP so their members devote their manhours to increase the advantage they already enjoy over the smaller guild you madly think this helps. cf. leveraging proceeds from sale of raid loot to buy legacy items such as lockets that also entrench their advantage.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:10 AM
Planar Protector

Honeslty VPNs make detecting bots impossible, so that shouldn't be a rule either. A little bit of thought in execution goes a long ways. why are we this many months in and still the manastone monopoly is owned by people who would be considered cheaters in classic EQ.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:33 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
lmaoo tho, this is absolutely not how it works. here's how it actually works: the biggest and most powerful guilds, who have the most manpower and most purchasing power for their DKP, will print from thin air some of that DKP so their members devote their manhours to increase the advantage they already enjoy over the smaller guild you madly think this helps. cf. leveraging proceeds from sale of raid loot to buy legacy items such as lockets that also entrench their advantage.
My point is that there can be a benefit to it. Take Sky for example: If your guild can only muster a force for 20ish people to go to Sky, and your guild's only 46+ enchanter main is on vacation then having one of your melee dps play an enchanter bot can simply make the difference between raiding that night or not.

I don't think that Seal Team monopoly is going to be cemented by having every playing have a back up rez bot/port bot/(eventually)coth bot. They're going to have the numbers to ensure attendance and ensure FTE anyway. A 20 man guild would never be able to compete on zerg targets no matter how much gear or bots they had, but those things could make a difference for the 20 man guild doing Sky or eventually Halls of Testing or other casual raids.

Conversely: even if Seal Team didn't have bots and didn't have the best-of-the-best gear they would still get Naggy over the 20 man guild.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:07 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
yeah imo the issue with account sharing is more larger organized groups using shared accounts as industrial infrastructure than it is having a friend ad-hoc tag in on your guise or w/e so you can get some sleep like a normal human person, and you could mostly get rid of it by just enforcing the rule as written
Both are pretty silly imo. Would you really have these ridiculous 60+ hour camps (so I've heard) without account sharing?
Old 01-07-2020, 11:21 AM
Sarnak

I can tell you on live before daybreak took over... i couldn't figure out my info on an account. Chocked it up to owell i forgot it I guess... made a new one. Seen my max char running around so I petitioned. The GM gave me my account back... but reset all my characters on it to lvl 1 and naked and said "we do not tolerate account sharing"... dude I didn't share shit.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:28 AM
Fire Giant

account sharing is normalized on p99, has been for many years, it's part of the raid game. Hardcore guilds are not made up of players/people but just available characters (as they evolve). I was in a very very casual raiding guild on blue for a short amount of time and it was totally normal to say in the voice comms "ill play the cleric today". Witnessed over 10 people playing that toon in the short time I was with them. I still never figured out if anybody actually had a claim to that toon or if it was just a epic clicker that was leveled by the entire guild in their free time, lol.

I was in oot the other day and someone in /ooc shout to some other guy to "log on the druid, my buffs faded" when being power leveled. It's more normalized behavior than it's ever been, just the way it goes.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamal2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
rules should NOT come down to MAYbe, they should be clear cut.

the ONLY reason to keep the rule grey is corruption/selective enforcement.

if there is another reason im lost to it? unless someone can explain why treating some different than others is good for anyone?
I agree with you. I was just talking about the rule we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaneosak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
account sharing is normalized on p99
What's your point?

I mean, quite a few big things have been normalized in the past on p99, and then been removed/altered by mechanic or rule changes. Invis pulling, raiding rotations/arrangements, account sales, etc. I think account sharing should be drastically limited like it was on live, even if the "how" of limiting it is different, just like is the case with boxing.

Official restrictions on account sharing (and multiple accounts imo), even if they aren't perfectly enforced, are in keeping with stuff like official restrictions on account trading (facilitated RMT here, was forbidden on live, wasn't always forbidden here) and boxing (screws with community, very limited in scope on live though permitted).
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 01-07-2020 at 12:58 PM..
Closed Thread