Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 06:08 PM
Large Bat

Default Returning Player

Greetings,

I've just come back from a longer break and I'm trying to decide on a class (again).
On the live servers I've always been a rogue, but I don't like their uselessness outside of groups no more. That and the fact that most rogue twinks have 12+ dmg weapons or even their epic which I can't afford at all.
The other class I have is a ranger which I really enjoy due to its versatility, but I also know that he will never be on par with other DDs as even in Velious they only shine through Trueshot Disc (right?). And sitting around LFG much longer than the rogue isn't fun either.
Which leaves me thinking that I might give my monk a shot although I have no experience whatsoever if they are sought after in groups. It feels like there are an awful lot of them (of rogues as well though).
All of these are somewhere between 22 and 27, I have an FBSS on the ranger and could sell a few pieces off the rogue, so I could perhaps spend 1k - 1.5k on monk weapons.

So, my questions are:
1.) Are an FBSS and some weapons for 1k enough to get a monk rolling? How do they fare soloing without a fungi? Better than a ranger I suppose?
2.) How's the situation in the 30s, 40s, 50s, at 60? Rangers are still sitting around, rogues are king of groups, but solo only greens? How are monks, can they kill at least some blues at max level if I feel like doing so? Are there too many for the groups available so that I'd join my ranger on the waiting list?
3.) With Velious on the horizon: Iirc Monks were beast during that expansion, right? I know Rogues still shone and rangers still took DTs.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:36 PM
Sarnak

Yes a FBSS and 1K is enough, I saw a staff of shielding for 2k, so that's kinda nice.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:48 PM
Planar Protector

Monks are plentiful but are always welcome in groups. They can solo OK without a fungi in the low to mid levels... not sure about the high levels. Definitely better than rangers at soloing (until Velious, when rangers get panic animal - even then, though, monks might outdo them).
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Closed Thread