Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Sarnak

Default About Rangers at 50 or 60

So Im going to be 50 this week and im trying to decide on an alt to work on twinking. Im basically between a monk and a ranger.

I played a 60 monk on live, so ive been there done that, but a melee class with swords has always caught my interest.

Rangers really dont look that bad as a damage class. I mean, they get to quad (duel wield and double attack), so they have that in common with a monk. Monks get flying kick, but rangers do get some decent DDs (300-400?) and a ton of utility (sow snare thorns root invs etc).

Im not sure what era monks get a higgen chance for triple attack though.

I dont get why I wouldnt want to roll a ranger. During raids there wont be many more of them to fight with over loot, and I think Id generally like the class.

Anything im missing as to why rangers are hated on so much?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Large Rat

A lot of being a ranger is aggro management. When to get it and when to not. Rangers don't get the level of defensive skills as monks, sk, Pali, war. Nor as many health points. You are very gear dependent as a ranger.

On the plus side, a well geared, skilled ranger is good dps and can weild any weapon you throw at it.

On last piece of warning 40% xp penalty and being passed up on groups for rogues and monks is painful. Unlike sk's and pali's.
Last edited by Tiphae; 03-14-2011 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: Add info
Old 03-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Fire Giant

Aye, rangers have an issue with aggro. Being able to reduce the aggro they cause (that flux blade ax is a bitch), is key. But, once you manage to do that, you are a very useful class.

However you might still be used as DT bait [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-14-2011, 10:18 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobby [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Aye, rangers have an issue with aggro. Being able to reduce the aggro they cause (that flux blade ax is a bitch), is key. But, once you manage to do that, you are a very useful class.

However you might still be used as DT bait [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly, I see more bards and monks as DT sponges than rangers right now lol. Then again, it's probably because there are more of them than rangers.

Seriously, every time I see a fucking thread like this OH MYGOD THEY HAD 14 PEOPLE ITS OUR MOB LOL OURS OURS OURS YESSS I just want to fucking deathtouch the entire guild and despawn the mob.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Fire Giant

Like 6 raiding rangers >.< and i usually see applicants to the guild being used lol.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:40 PM
Banned

Hope you like to solo. From 1-50, I spent over 90% of my time alone. The flux-bladed axe is unusable in a group unless you're going to root everything onto the tank. The only thing you really get to shine at is tracking, and SEQ does it better than you.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:48 AM
Kobold

Eh, flux axe is gonna be shortly obsolete soon anyways. There are better available weapons in Kunark which are tradeable and don't have high aggro procs.

Ranger is fine you don't mind the fact that monks are going to outdamage you, take hits better than you, and pull better than you in most cases. In a group situation there are things you can do better than a monk, but they are situational (track, pull outdoors, tank easy content, some spot CC). Unfortunately, snare is largely useless on this server compared to how necessary it was on live. Kinda sucks really that the effort was never put forth to make mobs run earlier and faster the way they are supposed to. Snare was a tool every group wanted back in the days and its unnecessary here, so one of the biggest things rangers had to add to a group is gone.

In a raid setting, the first ranger becomes pretty important in Kunark to make sure the raid has pred at least, and then every ranger afterward at least adds a WS which can be handy. Other than those two things, pretty much inferior raiders to a monk for the next couple expansions.

If you care more about having fun than min / maxing, I'd say try it out. Can always roll a monk later if you want.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:08 AM
Banned

I completely agree about the weapons and it might be advisable to wait for some of those to become available before leveling. I would definitely not recommend dumping 15K on dragon claws when they turn to junk in a few weeks.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Fire Giant

Monks have Feign Death.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4z3r [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Monks have Feign Death.
This.

Rangers are fun and all - they actually have really good dungeon viability in KC because it's considered outdoors (at least my memory is very affirmative that this is so).

But where i'm really torn is SK vs monk.

Sure, monks have a far more versatile version of FD and mend - but SKs have a crapton of other utility that's really tempting - undead lull, both kinds of invis, lifetaps as heals, etc...

Sorry for the derail [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Closed Thread