Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Large Bat

Default Input please

I know there are a lot of What-should-I-play-threads and I also know I should decide for myself, but I'd love some input of those high level players of you, before I make the wrong decision.

Here it is:
Back in EQ Live I've played a ranger in classic (yeah, I know), then a druid in Kunark after I realised rangers suck and then a rogue from mid kunark all the way to Gates of Discord? Omens of War? No clue, the later one of these. I had a lot of fun on that rogue, spent years doing raids and grouping and could never be bothered to twink anything at all. But I also had a huge guild and a few friends I could group with, which is not the case on P99 at the moment.

So... how is the situation on P99, how are raid / high level group demands and how are the following classes faring at level 50+ as I have only ever played a rogue in the levels above 50.

Should I
a) Play a Rogue, which I am used to, good at and had fun with, even though it might take ages to reach 60, as they cannot for the love of god solo anything at all?
b) Play a Monk, a class I always liked in theory, but that is overrepresented (?) on P99?
c) Play an SK, though I do not know if I'd like to be reliant on mana for aggro?
d) Play a Ranger, suck down all those bad jokes, and be a great, shiny, jack-of-all-trades monster at level 60? (as if)

Thanks for your time and input [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Planar Protector

a) rogues, even heavily twinked, cannot solo passed L25. There are a few leveling guilds out there, see if you can get into one if you make this your choice.
b) There are a ton of monks on this server due to them being an OP class. Join the OPness, or find something less people play, its up to you.
c) SKs are great leveling tanks, and tanks are needed at all levels of play. You will have to suck up a 40-68% leveling penalty if this is your choice, however, so ensure you enjoy the grind before committing to it.
d) Rangers really are the red-headed step-child of classic EQ. You do get /disc weaponshield in Velious, making you useful for 18 seconds though. You also get a 40% exp penalty here as well.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Large Bat

d) True, but are they really THAT useless? As far as I remember they weren't that good dps-wise, but nonetheless they had their raid spots in my guild back in the day for their versatility.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Planar Protector

Mostly depends on how you want to play the game. Do you want to sit back and DPS pushing two buttons and be the guy everyone goes to to open doors and pull corpses (Rogue)? Do you want to be actively running around, pulling mobs, DPSing and maybe stepping in to tank from time to time (Monk)? Do you want to tank (Shadowknight)? Do you want to take DTs (Ranger)?

Alright, that last one was a shot at rangers. Basically comes down to how you want to play the game. I play a rogue because I'm lazy and like just sitting in a group pushing backstab and evade. But if you want a more active role in a group, monk would be the way to go. If you want to tank and possibly go solo somewhere with fear kiting, shadowknight is a good choice.

A rogue can actually level pretty fast. They have something of a 9-13% exp bonus depending on race. Just expect to travel a lot to find the groups, the busy zones can vary from night to night, but that would be true for any group dependent class.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Planar Protector

They do less DPS than other melee DPS (rog/monk), they tank (especially 40+) inferior to SK/PAL (much better aggro than WAR, if inferior mitigation/avoidance). They compete with bards for "jack of all trades", but while bards get insane movement speed, PBAOE, and mana song (making them able to solo and group extremely efficiently), rangers truly exemplify the saying by being the "masters of none."

The benefits they received in Luclin from AQ+EM3 were MASSIVE improvements the class needed and are likely not to be experienced here.

They make a great filler in a pinch, for tanking or DPS, they probably partner well with shaman (another OP class like monk), but in a min-max world they don't cut it. But if you are not min-maxing, and don't mind ignoring/tolerating the min-maxers, rangers are a fun class.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Large Bat

Basically I have watered my choices down to a) or b). The only thing I wonder about is: Should I choose a monk, will I find groups easily or is the game overcrowded with monks? I know that finding groups as a rogue will be easier, but it'll take longer to 60.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amla [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Basically I have watered my choices down to a) or b). The only thing I wonder about is: Should I choose a monk, will I find groups easily or is the game overcrowded with monks? I know that finding groups as a rogue will be easier, but it'll take longer to 60.
I think a monk would have an easier time finding groups because they are more versatile in the roles they can fill, pulling, DPS and tanking. A rogue is only going to be DPS. That said, in the end game I have little trouble finding pick-up groups outside of a guild simply because some of the best camps have doors that need opening.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Fire Giant

There's a lot of Monks around, but two monks in one group isn't a bad thing at all. Melee DPS stacks, always, and Monk and Rogue are the best in that arena hands down.

I say you should play Rogue because: you like it, they're needed at all levels, you're good at it (so you say [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]), they fit into most groups, and uhh, you like it. The server needs more people, and we're only going to get there if people enjoy playing their chosen characters.

Join one of the guilds with tons of low-to-mid level members and you should be pretty set for groups while you get to know people. If you roll Rogue, shoot me a PM and I can probably scrounge up a couple pieces of gear for you. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Large Bat

Well, I was good at it, six years ago [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I hope it's like riding bikes and you never unlearn it.
Closed Thread