Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 01:10 PM
Large Rat

Default Project 1999 vs Corinav

Hey guys!

So I have been craving a solid MMO fix and was debating coming back to EQ after 14 years away. My wife, who is brand new to MMO's was interested in joining as well and right now we are looking at two play options.

1) Play here on Project 1999
2) Register new accounts and play on the new Daybreak games Corinav progression server opening in a couple days.

My main concern with project 1999 is server population at lower levels. How hard is it to form groups when you are brand new? Like in Crushbone for example? I see at the time of posting this there is a PvE server pop of ~750, I was told that peak time populations is ~ 1000.

In it is very important that the community be understanding to new players as I am very rusty and the wife has never touched an MMO. In the end we would be looking for a classic EQ experience.

The way I see it if Project 1999's player place is still solid and grouping under level 40 is still do able why pay Daybreak Games $30/mo (2 accounts @ $15/mo) to play on corinav when I could just jump into Porject 1999 and donate that money to the support team.

What are peoples thoughts on this?
Old 03-08-2018, 08:29 PM
Orc

Choose Number 1.
Getting a group at lower lvls shouldnt be a problem and besides you already have a teammate in your wife. Start up whatever classes you wanna play and join in on the fun.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:52 PM
Planar Protector

p99 is free

p99 had Shinko

-Shinko Guild Leader <Safe Space> Green
Old 03-08-2018, 09:11 PM
Fire Giant

Don't play Daybreak, you will not get a classic experience there. Not even close they don't even try to be classic infact, it's a completely different experience. Don't let the progression server wording fool you to think it's classic.

P99 has it's faults too, but it actually trys to be classic, and is as close as you will ever get, unless you have a time machine in your garage.
Foxlich [60 Necromancer] Foxplosion [60 Wizard]
Foxstab [60 Rogue] /Foxcharming [60 Enchanter] / Foxfrenzy [60 Warrior]
Last edited by Foxplay; 03-08-2018 at 09:28 PM..
Old 03-08-2018, 09:12 PM
Planar Protector

Why not both?

Give 'em both a shot, whichever suits you two best stick with.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:16 PM
Kobold

If you value the classic type experience and want your wife to experience that, then P99. I figure Corinav will have a far greater hype factor for the first few months, but P99 will be a more stable home over the long haul if you don't mind the limitations of the timetable.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:07 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanable [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why not both?

Give 'em both a shot, whichever suits you two best stick with.
Yeah. I second this. I did Agnarr and had a blast through classic. It dies off really quick and I'm back to P99. The live experience is much different. I like the slow burn of P99 better.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:31 AM
Sarnak

There is something about a brand new server and all the newbie zones full to the brim that gives you some of that 1999 excitement...

...which wears off after awhile when you see how devaluing all of the QoL and various other modern code changes is to the meaningfulness of the game.

It's like they've just compressed the joy and tragedy of EverQuest's decline over 19 years into 6-12 months.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:49 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is something about a brand new server and all the newbie zones full to the brim that gives you some of that 1999 excitement...

...which wears off after awhile when you see how devaluing all of the QoL and various other modern code changes is to the meaningfulness of the game.

It's like they've just compressed the joy and tragedy of EverQuest's decline over 19 years into 6-12 months.
Probably less than 6 months. So many guilds and people burn out before Velious hits.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:46 PM
Kobold

I am struggling with a similar though.

Been on p99 for a couple of years now on and off. The game is still very vibrant. People completing epic quests and grouping at all levels. Very new player friendly, often depending on your starting zone you may end up with some random hand outs and buffage.

I myself am debating on starting live up again, PoP and LDoN were some of my favorite expansions. They will never exist on p99 for obvious reasons. Corinav offers what appears to be a similar adventure through the expansions. However I did log into a free account to get a feel for it on a live server and its...........much different.

I would suggest logging into a free account on a live server and also poke around on p99. You can have both, and you have some time to explore a bit before you commit. Either way its not a mortgage and you can jump between the two in any way.
Closed Thread