Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 09:01 AM
Planar Protector

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfoxnz85 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
First of all, English is not my 1st language. Please excuses my poor english.
Hey skyfoxnz85 It's all good over decade plus of P99 I've met people from almost every country in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfoxnz85 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ok i think i need some help and seeking some advise from those who may or may not experienced this in the past. I’ve been playing EQ last couple of years and it became big part of my life.
I personally have had EQ addiction full blown, not caring so much about life and only thinking about everquest. I've been there.

Quote:
I love grinding, camping, and levelling and help other people.
This is exactly the drug about EQ that hooked into me. every drug has a hook. Everyone to talk to on EQ, camping spots and seeing people walk up. grinding for items or exp. I know how you feel.

Quote:
I has been great but recently i’ve been obsessed with this game and start prioritise this game over my real life. I had couple of sick leaves I shouldn’t have and this “Work from home” during pandemic made it too easy for me to make excuses… Yeah i am super addicted to this game. I never had this issue while playing other MMO since they have “diminishing return” stuff. (Like daily limit or weekly limits).
Okay right off the bat, it's healthy and normal to take time off work to enjoy things you like or love. The problem starts when you begin to make excuses for why you're neglecting real life obligations for a pixel fantasy world. Please bear with me.

Quote:
I think i need some break from this game.
Yes go cold turkey, Please for your health and real life obligations. I know how you feel, The longer you take a break the easier it will be. Try not to think about EQ, seriously!!! Don't think about ANY online gaming or RPGs.

Quote:
Sometime I prefer to be online rather than be in real life. Is there anyone who had similar problems before and figure out how to get out of this addiction? I still want to continue play this game but I don’t want to be controlled by it. Apologies for being a drama queen but I figured I should share this with the community I spend the most time with 1st…
I have been there, honestly dead to rights (pure honesty) I have. The people I've met meant a lot to me, but it's so much more important to take care of your personal well being. And I can't do it for you, ONLY YOU can do it for YOU. Trust me, the people you've met would want you to be happy and care about yourself.

If you ever need someone to vent to or talk about recovering from classic EQ, pm me and we can chat anytime.

Take care of yourself!
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:27 AM
Large Rat

I’d suggest you roll another alt.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:17 AM
Skeleton

I started using a free program in the windows store called ".Clocks".

It puts an always on top clock on the screen. I reduce the size and opacity put it in an unused corner of my UI. It's great for keeping an eye on the time during long sessions.
Old 08-09-2021, 05:01 PM
Aviak

the self selected internet1.0 people that play this game are way cooler and more interesting than the normie NPCs repetitive "truck, sports, titties" dialogue tree
Old 08-09-2021, 05:07 PM
Planar Protector

You can't be "addicted" to a video game. Your computer has an off button. Push it--problem solved. Most folks I know who over-use something like video games tend to do so for want of anything better to do with their time. It's a lot tougher you push that off button if it means you'll be otherwise sitting around twiddling your thumbs.

Danth
Old 08-09-2021, 06:22 PM
Banned

Going to have to respectfully disagree with you, Danth, about whether video games can be addictive.

EQ in particular had a storied history in the late 90s, early 2000s of causing divorces, job loss, and allegedly in some cases even suicide for those who couldn't control their playtime.

Any activity that gives dopamine hits (and EQ does) can become addictive to certain individuals. Not all folks have the same internal chemistry so the same behavior between two people could lead one to become addicted and one not to.

At the end of the day it can be a serious thing if it gets too deep or too dark.

In those cases, once a players notices this may be happening to them they really should get out of Norrath as soon as possible. A good long break works wonders.

Here are some articles about EQ addiction:

http://www.nickyee.com/eqt/addiction.html

https://www.wired.com/2002/04/did-ga...le-in-suicide/

Bottom line: If your son or daughter came to you and said they were addicted, it wouldn't matter what it was they were addicted to. You would help them.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:24 PM
Planar Protector

Its essentially a gambling addiction, hitting all the same nuero chemical pathways in a similar fashion.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:25 PM
Planar Protector

I seriously hope OP has gone cold turkey and is doing better IRL.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:55 PM
Planar Protector

Whatever u do don't end up living in a cyber cafe smoking meth for days playing p1999
Old 08-09-2021, 09:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can't be "addicted" to a video game. Your computer has an off button. Push it--problem solved. Most folks I know who over-use something like video games tend to do so for want of anything better to do with their time. It's a lot tougher you push that off button if it means you'll be otherwise sitting around twiddling your thumbs.

Danth
Yeah there are totally no drug addicts who have things to do besides drugs
Closed Thread